Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

• 1.  Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 03, 2018 17:39
    Hi there,

I'm thinking I'd like to up my understanding of Facebook as a tool to further engagement on our campaigns. I know that they recently changed their algorithm to prioritize engagement, and Pages are featuring much less in news feed. I'm looking for recent resources or courses, that include topics like using FB business manager, pixels, maximizing clicks/converting engagement into action, etc.

It doesn't need to be exclusively FB focussed, in fact I'd prefer resources that look at other platforms as well.

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks so much!

Christine

------------------------------
    Christine Mettler
    www.freshwateralliance.ca

• 2.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 03, 2018 20:52
    Hi Christine,

Here's some resources for nonprofit marketing courses. I hope these are helpful:

Chuck Spidell

ILLUSIO | Design Magic for Nonprofits & Changemakers
    503-888-1892 | illusio.com

• 3.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 04, 2018 13:26
    Thanks for sharing, Chuck!

Christine Mettler
    Kelowna, BC

• 4.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 04, 2018 13:51
    Hi, Christine!

Congratulations for deciding to learn more about how to use social media to advance your NPO's goals!

I just wanted to remind you of Facebook's learning platform, Facebook Blueprint. While they don't have a course or certification specific to nonprofits, I've found it to be a great place to learn more about Facebook, including Ads and Messenger. Because they are the course developers, it's become the learning platform that I most trust to stay on top of all of their changes!

There's also their hub for Nonprofits on Facebook, which includes some helpful case studies and details on the features and functions the platform offers NPOs.

Twitter has something similar with their Twitter Flight School.

I'd also recommend Hootsuite Academy; the popular social media dashboard has a basic social media course that's free, as well as more advanced ones (for fee).

Hope that helps!

Best of luck,
    Sandee

Sandee Jackson
    NTEN Editorial Committee
    CEO / Creative Director
    2911 Creative LLC
    https://2911creative.com

• 5.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 09, 2018 14:23
    Thanks Sandee!

I'm working on compiling a list of resources, and included Blueprint in my list. I haven't gotten very far in, though, so definitely appreciate the references you included.

I will share the resources with this group when I'm done!

If anyone has others, please share and I will add to the list to share back with the group.

Take care,

Christine

Christine Mettler
    Canadian Freshwater Alliance
    www.freshwateralliance.ca

• 6.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 09, 2018 14:39
    Hi Christine,
    I recently subscribed to a list that selects NPO blogs and updates. It's called Feedspot, and you can choose several options. Feedspot.com is the address.
    Please always follow John Haydon; you can sign up for his email list at John Haydon " Smarter online marketing and fundraising for nonprofits
    John Haydon remove preview
    John Haydon " Smarter online marketing and fundraising for nonprofits
    Smarter online marketing and fundraising for nonprofits
    View this on John Haydon >
    (no affiliation. Before I launched into running SoMe for a tiny nonprofit, I listened to his instruction for a couple of months. I'm still listening to his free FBLive on Wednesdays at 11 to keep up-to-date with the latest in algorithm changes and other upheavals!)
    FYI
    See you at #18NTC, I hope! ​

Tricia Maddrey Baker
    Social Media/Communications Manager
    Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

• 7.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 18, 2018 13:19
    I second that recommendation of John Haydon as a resource. Not only does he have deep experience in nonprofit marketing and communications but he is very generous with his expertise.

Here's a recent post on Feedspot that might be useful (and worth repeating if it's previously been posted to this group):
    Top 40 Nonprofit Marketing Blogs and Websites For Nonprofit Marketers and Fundraisers (last updated Apr 2, 2018).

BJ Wishinsky
    Mountain View, CA

• 8.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted Apr 18, 2018 13:28
    Thanks, BJ!

Tricia Maddrey Baker
    Social Media/Communications Manager
    Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

• 9.  RE: Facebook / Social Media marketing for non-profits

Posted May 30, 2018 10:59
    Hey All,
    Hope everyone is well!

So we recently tried running an advocacy ad on Facebook about Syrian refugees and it was denied, because it was tagged as a "political ad". It seems that any ad - even if it's advocacy- that may pertain to the President is being denied. There is a new authentication process as of May 21 that requires the admin to verify themselves and not the organization.
    Has anyone experienced this? If so, how is your nonprofit dealing with this process?
    Many advice is appreciated.
    Best Wishes!
    Rashidah McCoy

Rashidah McCoy
    Jesuit Refugee Service/USA