Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Hashtag Creator and Measure Social Media Effectiveness

• 1.  Hashtag Creator and Measure Social Media Effectiveness

Posted Jul 12, 2018 18:37
    Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how I can create a hashtag that we can use for Atlanta Public Schools Adult Education?

Since we are new and still learning social media can anyone tell me methods they use to measure social media effectiveness?  Our goal is to increase enrollment?  Students call, email, or walk-in to our many sites to register.  We have been seeing an increase but I have no way of knowing if our social media efforts are helping.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Necole Durham
    Atlanta Public Schools

• 2.  RE: Hashtag Creator and Measure Social Media Effectiveness

Posted Jul 14, 2018 13:56
    Hi, Necole. While it's easy to create a hashtag (you just make one up) here are some guidelines for good hashtags:
    • Keep it simple. A good hashtag is easy to understand, spell, and remember.
    • Keep it short. In general, people are more likely to use a short hashtag because it requires less typing.
    • Make it unique. Always search first to see if the hashtag you're considering is already being used for other purposes. If it is, pick something else.
    • Use initial caps on multi-word hashtags. This makes them easier to read and easier for assistive technology like screen readers to pronounce.
    Check out Twitter's How to Use Hashtags page for basic guidelines that can be applied anywhere.

For more detail, The 16 Rules of Hashtag Marketing Mastery has good recommendations.

Best,
    bj

BJ Wishinsky
    Mountain View, CA

• 3.  RE: Hashtag Creator and Measure Social Media Effectiveness

Posted Nov 12, 2018 11:28
    Hey Necole!

If you're looking to measure the effectiveness of your social posts, I recommend checking your insights on your Facebook page (same goes for Twitter under analytics). Under insights and analytics you can check social engagement and see how specific posts are performing.

I don't know what your org's budget looks like but social scheduling platforms like CoSchedule offers a free trial. My company uses it, and I'm the social media manager. I can personally tell you that it helps me a LOT when tracking our posts and if they're performing well. Other social tools you can look into are Zoho Social and Buffer.

I hope this helps!

MaryJane Ragusa
    Qgiv, Inc.
    maryjane.ragusa@qgiv.com

• 4.  RE: Hashtag Creator and Measure Social Media Effectiveness

Posted Nov 13, 2018 10:55

I'm using TryLately.com, it's like Hoo­tSuite on steroids, but better. They are currently customizing a monthly report for my board and the OmniAnalytics offering allows you to filter by campaigns & provides a WordCloud of your most used hashtags (I'll have to check out the social hashtag performance capability now – tanks for the heads up!).

Tara Collins | RUPCO, Inc. | Kingston, NY