Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 3 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Free alternatives? Yoast or SEMRush?

• 1.  Free alternatives? Yoast or SEMRush?

Posted Jul 02, 2019 15:23
    Hi all,
    I'm new on this Board because I need your help!
    The consultant the boss hired keeps quoting SEMRush numbers, but we have no way of developing an accurate comparison on Google Analytics (she says.)
    Do you know a free alternative that checks backlinks, page rank, and something she called search term viewers?
    Also, she pushed us to install Yoast.  PS: we have a Drupal platform, so it doesn't work at all.  Do you know of an alternative?
    Thanks for all your help, everyone!
    -Tricia

------------------------------
    Tricia Maddrey BakerSocial Media/Communications ManagerBethesdaMD
    pronouns she/her
    Always Moving Forward
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Free alternatives? Yoast or SEMRush?

Posted Jul 02, 2019 16:22
    I've asked this very question and used to try to cobble everything together with free SEO tools. I've probably tried all of them at one point or another. Here's a great list of free SEO tools that could help you out: https://backlinko.com/best-free-seo-tools. Here's another list of SEO tools that combines paid and free options: https://backlinko.com/seo-tools.

That being said, I wasted a lot of time trying to do SEO for free. It's certainly possible, but requires a lot more effort. We recently bit the bullet and signed up with SEMRush. It's so much easier having everything in one place. I probably save enough time to justify the expense, not to mention the fact that SEMRush shows me data that I couldn't get before. If that is an option, I recommend it. If it's not an option, the lists I pasted above should help.

Steve Hansen

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Free alternatives? Yoast or SEMRush?

Posted Jul 03, 2019 07:45

Thank you for your insight, Steve!

I suspected that it would cost more to locate a free version, cobbled together, than to pay for SEMRush. Thanks!

All the best,

Tricia

Tricia Maddrey Baker

Social Media and Communications Manager

The Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation

(301) 279-7202 Extension 133

Answers, Support, Hope

Tech Accelerate