Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

GDPR-compliant cookie alerts

• 1.  GDPR-compliant cookie alerts

Posted Jul 26, 2018 11:54
    Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share for implementing GDPR-compliant cookie alerts? I'm really hoping there are going to be some easier solutions popping up for orgs that don't have huge budgets to work with...

I have been looking into what it would take to implement a truly GDPR-compliant cookie alert / management tool like the Economist.com has, and it looks like it is going to take MONTHS to implement (based on my research on Cookiebot). These solutions appear easy on the surface, but when you dig deeper you realize that you have to do all of the technical work of disabling the cookies yourself (which is easy enough for services that are managed in Google Tag Manager, but that's a small fraction of the >100 cookies our site uses!).

thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Danielle

------------------------------
    Danielle Cranmer
    Digital Product Manager
    Rainforest Alliance
    New York, NY

• 2.  RE: GDPR-compliant cookie alerts

Posted Jul 26, 2018 12:10
    I've had to deal with this issue on our site. To actually be compliant, the cookie solution must block tracking cookies until the user clicks "Accept."

The two best solutions for that appear to be OneTrust and CookieBot.

I ended up using CookieBot. It's free for sites with less than 100 subpages, and $10/month for those with 500 subpages. It's pretty easy to set up, and enabling the cookie blocking was pretty easy. You just need to change your tracking scripts from "text/javascript" to "text/plain", and name the cookie type. That way, they don't run immediately. CookieBot will convert those to javascript (and run them) when the user clicks "Accept." CookieBot also lets you limit the alert to EU visitors only, so US visitors don't see the popup. Overall, I got it set up in less than a day.

OneTrust appears to be free, but it's more difficult to get an account set up. You have to request access and someone has to manually set up an account. I had to wait about 8 hours, and by then I had already found CookieBot and set it up. I didn't really dig too deep into it, but I found it was more difficult to set up the blocking. However, here's a great guide for setting it up with Google Tag Manager: How To Implement GDPR Cookie Consent Notification with Google Tag Manager - Analytics Mania.

Let me know if you have questions.

Steve

Steve Hansen
    www.mrc-productivity.com

• 3.  RE: GDPR-compliant cookie alerts

Posted Jul 30, 2018 17:03
    I just wanted to update my previous response, as I just switched our Cookie Consent service over to OneTrust. I did a little digging and discovered it was just as easy to implement as CookieBot. All in all, it took a few hours.

I chose OneTrust because it offers more features, has a better layout, and is cheaper (free!). Specifically, I liked that it has a "Cookie Settings" option that you can place at the bottom of your site to let users adjust their cookies at any time. It also is free for one domain, and covers an unlimited number of subpages. CookieBot charges $10/month for sites with less than 500 subpages and $24/month for sites in between 500 and 5000 subpages. The costs aren't bad, but OneTrust offers more features and is completely free. Hard to pass that up.

Steve Hansen