Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 4 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Data privacy training for staff

• 1.  Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 19, 2019 10:52
    Hello everyone,

I searched but didn't find anything particularly relevant. Does anyone have access to any data privacy training materials that you'd be willing to share? I'm particularly interested in setting up ongoing trainings for staff and volunteers who access PII data that my organization handles. I'd like to not have to reinvent the wheel if something that is moderately engaging along these lines exists already.

Thanks for any suggestions!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Whamond
    Director of Information Technology
    San Jose, CA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 20, 2019 08:56
    Hi Elizabeth, we use KnowBe4 for our security and privacy training for all staff.

Bob Florian

• 3.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 20, 2019 09:10
    Elizabeth,

The line between where cybersecurity training ends and privacy training begins is not a clear one. There is a plethora of cybersecurity awareness training I could point you to (including our own, which you are completely welcome to take and do with as you wish, reuse, recycle, change), but digital privacy training is something with which I'm less familiar of the available resources (although I'm actively looking).

But a lot of privacy training tends to focus on cybersecurity awareness topics such as:

• social engineering - how it works
    • Phishing/spear phishing, etc.
    • Passwords and authentication
    • Device security
    • Working remotely, public wi-fi, travel, etc

Specifically focusing on handling of PII tends to a small part of these trainings, from my experience. You could also look at a broader conversation about Data Culture, looking at how your organization uses data with privacy considerations as part of it. If so, here's a great resource for that: https://databasic.io/en/culture/

This list of resources from the Digital Impact Lab out of Stanford PACS has a ton of good materials on cybersecurity and digital privacy, only a fraction of which I've explored or used, but of the ones I recognized or have used (or in one case, provided), they are excellent.

This particular resource from Civicus (with funding from a Stanford Digital Impact grant) looks promising. Does require a registration to access. In particular look at the last section on the page, titled "Data Management - In Desperate Search".

If you find something you love, Elizabeth, let us know!

-JP

Joshua Peskay
    Vice President of Technology Stratefy
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

• 4.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 20, 2019 13:02
    https://public.cyber.mil/training/identifying-and-safeguarding-personally-identifiable-information-pii/  is good and free.  The other freemium you should consider is https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/achieve-pii-compliance-through-security-awareness-training/. I also would pay for KnowBe4, most MSPs are bundling that in with their other servers.

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN

• 5.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 20, 2019 16:27
    The Electronic Frontier Foundation has excellent resources here:

https://ssd.eff.org/en

Andrew Mallis
    CEO & founder @ www.kalamuna.com
    Oakland, CA
    mallis@kalamuna.com
    925-255-5204 x700

• 6.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 20, 2019 23:15
    Salesforce has a great training that I believe is available even if you don't use Salesforce 

Kai

--
    Kai Williams
    Executive Director

The International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

PO Box 3197
    Eugene, OR 97403

Phone 866.871.1869
    Fax 408.876.6153
    director@theiwrc.org

• 7.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 21, 2019 07:38
    +1 on Knowbe4.  It's worth every penny.

Colin Boyle
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 8.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Nov 21, 2019 20:41
    Thanks to all for the great links, and for Elizabeth for asking the question!

This is helpful to me as well, as my org builds a training plan for 2020. We're planning to accomplish it in three different sessions, because each of these topics is too business-critical to give short shrift.

• Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery/Data Breach Training (what to do when things go wrong)
    • Information Security/Privacy Training (how to avoid misusing data)
    • Social Engineering/Cyber Security Training (how to prevent someone else from misusing data)

Emilio Arocho
    Director of Technology and Digital Services
    National Association for Healthcare Quality

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 9.  RE: Data privacy training for staff

Posted Dec 03, 2019 17:23
    Edited by Rebecca Lahr Dec 03, 2019 17:24
    I was able to dedicate some time to reviewing the resources shared and just wanted to highlight a couple that I found particularly useful. And first, thank you Elizabeth for posing the question!
    I particularly appreciated the KnowBe4 mentions from Bob and Colin.
    I went through some of the Digital Impact Lab's resource list that
    ​​Joshua mentioned and found a resource related to the one Andrew mentioned -- could be helpful for those of us who may be leading trainings: Secuirty Education Companion developed by the EFF too https://sec.eff.org/
    I also thought that some of the downloads available from the Responsible Data Management training pack (also mentioned in the robust DI resource list mentioned by Joshua) can provide a provacative way for non-data, non-tech people to engage with some of the ethical questions related to practices for how we handle/share sensitive information that can sometimes be presented in a bland way. They have "Agree/Disagree" printable cards and "What would you do if..." printable cards that could be more engaging.

Rebecca Lahr
    Database Manager