Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 5 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Notes from our Community Call on KPIs and Metrics

• 1.  Notes from our Community Call on KPIs and Metrics

Posted Oct 11, 2018 15:22
    Thank you to everyone who joined our Data Community Call today on KPIs and metrics!  To those of you who asked questions, who shared your knowledge/processes, and who jumped in to take notes :)

If we didn't get to your questions on the call, please share them in the discussion!  For those of you who weren't able to join, you can view the collaborative notes here: Nonprofits and Data Collaborative Notes
    Google Docs remove preview
    Nonprofits and Data Collaborative Notes
    Nonprofits and Data Collaborative Notes This is the collaborative notes document for the Nonprofits and Data group. Help us collect and share knowledge from our community calls by contributing to this document. If you are viewing this on the screen in our online conference room ONLY: The s...
    View this on Google Docs >

------------------------------
    Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Writer, Wethos
    SH/FT+SCAFFOLD
    Baltimore, MD
    Twitter: @curiositybone

• 2.  RE: Notes from our Community Call on KPIs and Metrics

Posted Oct 12, 2018 10:09
    I'm really bummed that I missed this yesterday, I would have only been on the call for the later half and didn't want to be disruptive. But this is something that our company puts a lot of emphasis and focus on due to our involvement with the Fundraising Effectiveness Project. A few potentially interesting resources around KPIs.

• The Fundraising Effectiveness Project has established fundraising specific KPIs, which software vendors like mine have been encouraged to put into their platforms to streamline adoption. We adopted all the top ones but many systems like SalsaLabs and Bloomerang have some too around things like donor retention. 
    • I've done a few webinars on this and most recently did a deep dive with Chronicle of Philanthropy but that doesn't look like it posted yet, so here's a previous one that I did with fundraising consultant Mike Buckley of The Killoe Group. We set out basics as well as modeling. 
    • Tableau is a great tool but we're also checking out Grow. While perhaps more business focused, the setup seems much more user friendly than Tableau. 
    • And for fundraising KPIs, I noticed that someone mentioned how eTapestry doesn't have that built in and that there may be manual ways to do it. There are! There's a great tool called Fundraising Report Card that will be an easy upload of three data points to populate an entire visual dashboard of fundraising KPIs. They were the very first Neon One Certified Software Partner and they have a bunch of automated integrations with other systems.

Hope these help!

Tim Sarrantonio
    Director of Strategic Partnerships
    Neon One

• 3.  RE: Notes from our Community Call on KPIs and Metrics

Posted Oct 12, 2018 12:21
    Hi Janice (and Community Call organizer team),

I joined this call for the first time yesterday and enjoyed the conversation. I teach a class "Data Driven Fundraising" with NTEN and my attendees have indicated that they would like more emphasis on KPI's in this course, and it was helpful for me to get a pulse of where the community is, in terms of KPI's.

I joined a little late and realized much later that I should have signed in using the roll call table -- and therefore missed the roll call. My apologies! (I entered my name later.)

Look forward to future data conversations!

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 4.  RE: Notes from our Community Call on KPIs and Metrics

Posted Oct 21, 2018 21:38
    Thanks for sharing those resources, @Tim Sarrantonio!  And @Medha Nanal - glad you were able to catch part of it & yes, for anyone else seeing this, you should always feel free to join our calls even halfway through, add your name to the roll call, and jump into the conversation!  ​​

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    SH/FT+SCAFFOLD
    Baltimore, MD
    Twitter: @curiositybone