Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 2 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Website automation

• 1.  Website automation

Posted Mar 24, 2018 17:14
    What are your organizations’ experience with website automation/gamification? We are looking into adding timed or action based prompt for email sign ups or donations but our communications team is worried that it may upset some of our donors or visitors, especially if it keeps popping up every time someone visits. Has anyone tried any tactics? What worked and what didn’t? Thanks!

Quincin
    Nature Conservancy of Canada

Sent from my IPhone. Sorry for any typos.
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Website automation

Posted Mar 25, 2018 12:01
    Hello Quincin,
    We have automation set up for our email subscribers. I'm still working out the best practices for our particular audiences. We do not use automation for our donors or those members that have a membership beyond Family. We don't use popups (yet) and if we did, they can be controlled to show only when you want them to - it's more a matter of determining strategy.

I'm currently sussing out the interest levels of our audiences in the different topics we cover. We're preparing targeted content based on interest and I want to focus on the content that's of the most interest to them. Because we're a seasonal museum, I have another 9 months of waiting to get a full season's data collected. But we've already seen huge gains from the work.

I've written a post on my website that talks about the automation we use at the museum and shows the flow of the automation (we use ActiveCampaign). You can read about it here: WordPress Framework: eMail Service

Happy to chat about it with you.

Cheers!

------------------------------
    Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont
    https://www.lcmm.org
    https://greggbanse.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Website automation

Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:15
    Automation works in terms of gaining email subscriptions and donations. It is also annoying to visitors, so your content better be strong enough that folks are willing to tolerate the annoyance. Fortunately, many automation systems have good controls/filters so you can preserve the quality of your experience for logged-in visitors. You can also decide where and when you're popping things up. You might reserve homepage popups for key points in your fundraising cycle, but have mid-article popups enabled by default. This way you're advertising to your readers, the ones who actually engage with your content, without bothering casual visitors. Just one example - automation is a suite of powerful tools and you need a strategy to decide how to use it.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Website automation

Posted Jul 17, 2018 03:03
    Automation is a powerful tool to gaining additional subscribers and increasing fundraising or donations in case of Non-Profits Organization.It will allow the customers to know better about your company and the services you provide. But, sometimes it can be annoying in case the customer is not willing to go further but it can also be advantageous in certain cases when your company gets new projects or a Non- Profit organization has powered up fundraisings.

Shubham Mangal
    Non-Profit Web Analyst
    www.forcegroove.com

Tech Accelerate