Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

• 1.  Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 22, 2018 10:44
    Hi all,

I know that there are a number of us in here who submitted proposals for #19NTC. The voting period is fairly short, and they received a record number of proposals this year--it looks like they got almost 800 of them.

I put together a proposal for a panel about CRM and program management because so many of the CRM sessions at NTC are about marketing or fundraising. The proposal site doesn't have anywhere to put the names of collaborators, but I worked with some great people on this and I think it's a group that will have something for all types and sizes of organizations: Jake Grinsted (Simply360/Fresh Air Fund), Kai Williams (International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council), and Medha Nanal (Top Cloud Consulting).

If you're interested in this topic and would like to see it on the program this year, please vote for our proposal: "CRM: It's Not Just for Fundraising Anymore! Managing Programs with CRM Systems."

Additionally, Taj Carson (Inciter) led the development another proposal I participated in "Lost in a Data Jungle: Simple Tools to Tame Your Data." It's about using logic models and indicator grids to have a structured method for data collection. If you're interested in this topic or think it would be useful for others, please vote for it too.

And feel free to use this thread to promote your own proposals to the group! I'm sure there are some gems here.​

------------------------------
    Leah Kopperman
    leah@keshetonline.org
    Director, Data & Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
    Pronouns: she/her/hers

Defend transgender equality in MA: Vote Yes on 3!
    Join the coalition with Keshet and Freedom for All Massachusetts to uphold dignity and respect for transgender people #YesOn3 http://bit.ly/yeson3

KESHET
    New York Office
    601 W. 26th Street, Suite 325
    New York, NY 10001
    P: 646.828.9246
    F: 617.524.9229
    www.keshetonline.org

• 2.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 23, 2018 14:21
    You beat me to it, Leah - thank you!  I was thinking yesterday to start a thread for everyone in the group to share their #19NTC proposals.  Would love to see what sessions you all had submitted!  Also a great reminder (regardless of whether you submitted any) to check out the proposals and vote to create your dream 19NTC agenda.  Even if you're not yet sure whether you'll be attending, it's a great way to shape the exchange of knowledge (and get warmed up for November).  Plus, since the slides and notes will get shared out - vote for the topics you hope to get resources on afterwards.​

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Baltimore, MD
    Twitter: @curiositybone

• 3.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 14:29
    Hi everyone,

Here's my shameless self-promotion. All support is sincerely appreciated.

Using Change Management to Bring Data Culture to Organization

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 4.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 27, 2018 10:53
    While humming Garth Brooks' "Shameless"...

Here are my two proposals:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and Development Statistics
    Dungeons & Dragons and the Art of Storytelling

Thanks!

Kirk Schmidt
    Director, Foundation Analytics, Systems, and Operations
    STARS
    Calgary, AB

• 5.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 27, 2018 12:40
    Hi,

Thanks so much for starting this thread! There are so many excellent proposals this year.

We have created a session on digital volunteers, and how organizations can use "digivols" to help with everything from community engagement to data wrangling: Smartphones and the superhero volunteer - NTEN

Nten remove preview
    Smartphones and the superhero volunteer - NTEN
    You wake up to thousands of new Facebook comments. Misinformation, worried citizens all with smartphones ... who are you going to call? Digital Volunteers. When wildfire evacuees needed answers around the clock, Canadian Red Cross turned to "digivols" to save the day.
    View this on Nten >

We're very excited to share our learnings from recent wildfire responses and we've got some awesome ideas for charities of any size. Look forward to seeing you all in Portland!

Sara

Sara Falconer
    Director, Digital Communications
    Canadian Red Cross
    Ottawa, ON

• 6.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 28, 2018 12:15
    I'm loving all these titles!

Sara - your topic answers our needs. I hope to sit in your audience in a few months. 

Kai

• 7.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 27, 2018 18:25
    Hello everyone!
    I went hunting through the list of requested topics and made a proposal based on time management. I'll be presenting tech tools to help those dependent on scratch paper to-do lists. It takes one to know one!

Get Time Back on Your Side

Your support is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Diana

Diana Rojek-Skonnord
    Donor Services Associate
    East Bay Community Foundation
    Oakland, CA

• 8.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 28, 2018 11:53

The session I proposed is called "Get Involved. Take Action. Action Center: Where Engagement Goes to Die."

When I started my job at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation a year ago, I saw that our website had a section called "get involved" which was basically a laundry list of 40+ ways you could engage with us. It was overwhelming, to say the least! Plus, for any given person, only a handful of the options would be relevant. And we were leaving it up to that person to do the digging and make the match.

I thought - if people want to engage with us, why are we making it so hard??

I looked at lots of other nonprofit websites for inspiration and ways we could improve. I found most of them were in the same boat with us! Why is this such a common problem, and what can we do about it?

Over the past several months I've been working with a team to gather data about what our audience/community really wants, and what our internal priorities really are. This data is informing some website changes that will help people easily find ways to engage that will fit their life and their interests. When we finish, I believe we will have more donors, more volunteers, more advocates, and more happy community members.

In this NTC session, we'll look at how CFF and 1-2 other nonprofits have approached the "get involved" problem, and provide some tech-agnostic, actionable steps for making improvements of your own.

Margaux O'Malley
    Senior Manager, Digital Communications & Web Operations
    Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
    pronouns: she/her/hers

• 9.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 28, 2018 17:39
    After attending at least 10 times, I'm happy and excited to promote a session:  Hope: A Checklist for Nonprofit Start Ups
    Hope: A Checklist for Nonprofit Startups - NTEN
    Nten remove preview
    Hope: A Checklist for Nonprofit Startups - NTEN
    Your small nonprofit can thrive by leveraging low-cost tools and communications. If you've been asking "How can I grow into a sustainable nonprofit?" this is the session for you. Hear a "real-life perspective" from an ED that has grown from grassroots-to-national and two nonprofit experts who'll help you focus on what really works.
    View this on Nten >

The session is focused on making strategic and tactical decisions when starting your nonprofit --- besides a good idea and good intentions. We see a lot of well-intentioned vendors, and well-meaning nonprofit founders at this event every year. We created a session in which small nonprofits can balance automation, people and purpose. Tools for the everyday nonprofit, even if you are completely volunteer-driven!

Presenters include a Marketing/Communications expert with 10+ years experience working with nonprofits, a Data/Technology expert with 20+ years experience in leveraging technology to ensure cost-effectiveness, and an Executive Director that has built a national nonprofit and still only has 3 paid staff.

Thanks for your consideration!!

LisaLane
    Nonprofit Garden
    Lisa@nonprofitgarden.com

• 10.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 28, 2018 23:30
    There is so much awesome on this thread (and so many amazing proposals to read through)!  Here are my shameless plugs:

Even if you didn't submit a proposal, feel free to put in a plug for somebody else's data-related proposal that you're really excited about!

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Baltimore, MD
    Twitter: @curiositybone

• 11.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 29, 2018 08:01
    /me hops aboard the shameless train...

I'm co-proposing a session along with Genie Gratto on ways of presenting research content and other structured report content online -- it's more "30,000 ft" than specific data viz so we'll be covering that more strategically than tactically.  Check it out!

Nobody's Reading Your PDFs: Publish Research & Reports People Actually Read
    The presentation comes from our experience working with organizations that publish research papers, policy papers, project outcome reports, and similar long, structured documents that get posted as PDFs that rarely get much traffic or have much impact.  We've seen better results with content, including interactive data, video, social integration, etc posted directly to the web.  The talk focuses on different workflows and tools that make this possible and even painless, considering most content still gets written/edited in Word first.

Nathan Gasser
    President & Executive Chef
    Report Kitchen
    :::
    A more delicious way to publish your
    project, policy, and research reports.
    :::
    http://reportkitchen.com

• 12.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 29, 2018 09:08
    Edited by Tim Sarrantonio Aug 29, 2018 09:08
    Janice's email this morning made me realize I didn't leverage the wonderful community in the data group to shamelessly promote my own talk. It's Bring Your Brave Face: Talking Race, Equity, and Inclusion in Tech and my wonderful rockstar co-presenter is Denise Barreto. She is an amazing consultant who specializes in difficult conversations and we're teaming up to focus on help to effectively fold DEI into tech implementation projects. I don't believe she's been to NTC yet so this helps expose what we're doing to a much broader audience.

Please consider voting for it here and I've enthusiastically been supporting many of your proposals already! I hope we all get to present but at the least maybe have a data group Birds of a Feather?

Tim Sarrantonio
    Director of Business Development
    NeonCRM

• 13.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 29, 2018 09:36
    Edited by Dar Veverka Aug 29, 2018 09:37
    I'll join in too!

Have an awesome session in with Janice Chan on Knowledge Management;
    Strategic Knowledge Management - Don't Stop at Halfway!

One on Data Governance:
    Anarchy in the DB - Data Governance for Your Organization

And one on Founder's Syndrome & Technology:
    Cult of Personality: Founder's Syndrome, Technology & You

Voting closes Friday- so many good proposals in there!!

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 14.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 29, 2018 11:02

Many-time-attendee and first time proposing this year with four sessions leaning to the IT/Tactical side:

How to ditch your file share for some next-level file sharing

All in! Adoption tools and tips for online collaboration work spaces

Systems Integration 101: Say goodbye to Import/Export drudgery

Product selection: sharing the process, sharing the win

Check them out, vote for them please, and if you are interested in participating in any of these sessions, please let me know!

Matt

Matt Veltkamp
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Washington, DC
    mveltkamp@nimbusnonprofit.com

• 15.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 29, 2018 13:29

I joined recently and am super excited to be part of this community.

I also submitted two proposals. Here they are:

Is social media the best use of your limited time and resources?
    Why are you using social media? What do you want it to do for your organization? If you can't answer those questions, you may be wasting your time and resources. Social media can be the most effective way to reach your audiences, but it can also be a huge headache when done without a clear strategy. We'll show you how add strategy to your social media plan to educate your audience and share the human side of your organization.

Crafting stories that connect and convert
    Building a strong brand is essential to helping you stand out. But once the brand is in place, how do you use the stories behind the brand to connect with your donors and use technology to move them to the action you want them to take? We will present a case study (with our client) to demonstrate how we used our process to help our client address the questions every non profit has: How can you find potential donors? What do they need to hear from you? How do we get them to buy-in to your mission-driven perspective?

Carrie Simmons
    Owner + Creative Brand Strategist
    New Ground Creative
    Brattleboro, VT

• 16.  RE: Shameless #19NTC proposal promotion!

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:15
    Thanks so much for this thread because there are just too many good sessions to pour through! 

Mighty Citizen submitted many proposals but here are two I hope you might like:

How to Create Donor Surveys That Improve Your Fundraising
    If you don't survey your target audiences, your fundraising efforts are merely educated guesses. And if your surveys aren't carefully crafted, you'll end up receiving misleading data. But done well, surveys can empower you with real, actionable, and surprising insights into what your current and prospective donors do, think, and need.

How to Get the Most Out of Your Nonprofit Website
    For donors, volunteers, and clients, your website is the key to understanding your nonprofit's mission. If your website isn't helpful, easy-to-use, and delightful, your target audiences won't engage with you as deeply as they should. In this lively, example-filled talk, you'll learn how to turn your website into a goal-achieving machine, and how to know what success looks like.

The others if you're curious:
    Content Governance 101: How to Manage Your Digital Content for Success
    Storytelling for Impact: Helping Donors Understand the Value of their Dollar
    How to Sell, Execute, and Implement a Brand Overhaul

Hope to see you all in Portland!

Rachel Clemens, CMO
    Mighty Citizen
    mightycitizen.com
    Austin TX