Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 5 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Joint fundraising event

• 1.  Joint fundraising event

Posted Oct 31, 2018 08:29

Hello. We are considering hosting a joint fundraising event with another organization. We are in discussion with the other organization, are having conversations with our auditor, and thinking through goals and logistics.

I was wondering if anyone in this community has been directly involved in a joint fundraiser. I'm interested to hear how you chose to manage gifts & event sponsorships in Salesforce, the acknowledgement process, financial reconciliation. Did you divide gifts 50/50 between organizations? And anything I'm not thinking of but ought to. So...this is partially a technical questions, but also a broader process and donor stewardship question. 

Some context: The other organization has a mission that aligns with ours--they are local and we are national (but based in Boston). We share many of the same supporters in MA. But there are definitely large groups of people and funding organizations that do not overlap. 

I'm interested in hearing from those who have accomplished this successfully. But also from those who it challenges and problems: the what and why would also be helpful.

Thank you, Ilene

------------------------------
    Ilene Weismehl
    Knowledge and Database Manager
    Community Catalyst
    Boston, MA
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Joint fundraising event

Posted Nov 04, 2018 22:50
    The only time I can recall being involved with a joint fundraiser, it wasn't a true joint fundraiser in that we were a fiscal sponsor to a new, community-based organization so all the donations came to us as the 501(c)(3) but it was jointly branded and I think the funds raised were split after expenses.  They were well-connected in the community but still volunteer-run, and we had the organizational capacity to run the event, put together sponsorship packages, etc. so that was how the work was split.  If you're already in conversation with your auditor to make sure you're good in regard to handling finances, then some of that depends on what your organization and the other are hoping to get out of having a joint fundraiser.  It sounds like you're hoping this would provide an introduction to prospective donors who are not yet overlapping...

One thing you haven't mentioned is about who gets to contact whom after the event and who is managing event attendee data (beyond the finances, although those are important, too).  Will event attendees who register or buy a ticket have their information shared with both organizations, or how will that work?  Who is thanking them for attending, or following up?  I bring this up because even if they attend the event and they hear information about both organizations, there will inevitably be people who are confused about why they're hearing from a different organization and/or who thought they attended as a supporter of their favorite charity and did not expect their information to be shared.  Most people will get it and will not be surprised, especially if you're branding it as a joint event for both organizations, but both organizations should be in lockstep on what the policy is, what's get shared for what purpose, and be able to give people consistent answers.

Anyone else have more experience with true joint fundraisers to share with Ilene?

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Consultant, SH/FT+SCAFFOLD
    Baltimore, MD
    www.shiftandscaffold.com
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Tech Accelerate