Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 2 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Data Managers at Foundations

• 1.  Data Managers at Foundations

Posted Sep 04, 2018 16:30
    Hello All,
    I'm gathering information to write up a data manager position. While I can find generic descriptions for data managers, sadly there isn't readily available information for data management specifically within a foundation or grant-making environment.

I am hoping to speak with someone in this role who can provide their job description and answer a few follow up questions. If you have this role or can introduce me to someone who does, I'd really appreciate your help and can be reached at drskonnord@eastbaycf.org.

Thank you for your time,
    Diana Rojek-Skonnord

------------------------------
    Diana Rojek-Skonnord
    Donor Services Associate
    East Bay Community Foundation
    Oakland, CA
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Data Managers at Foundations

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:25
    I'm not sure you'll find that there is a firm and consistent notion of what this role is, and whether your org's needs line up with those of another org.

We do a lot of organizational development and staffing consulting for these types of roles, and have built job descriptions for many clients. Please reach out if you'd like to speak further. I'd be glad to share some of our learnings with you, no obligation.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Data Managers at Foundations

Posted Sep 06, 2018 11:51
    Hi Dana,

I work with database administrators and staff in various non profit organizations (small to large), and this role ranges from simply managing data and creating KPI's/Reports, to actual interpretation for fundraising with fundraisers :-) therefore, you will need to understand exactly what needs your organization intends to fill in for this role. The above two, in my view, are two ends of a spectrum, and there are a number of flavors of this role in-between.

The position description should also depend on which database/tech you are using. Some systems naturally call for more system management whereas some others do not.

Hope this helps.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Data Managers at Foundations

Posted Sep 07, 2018 14:10
    Tagging in @Leon Wilson @Danielle Faulkner @Rhiannon Orizaga -- but even if I didn't tag you, please jump in if you have any relevant info to share with Diana!​​​

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    SH/FT+SCAFFOLD
    Baltimore, MD
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Data Managers at Foundations

Posted Sep 07, 2018 14:40
    Hi Diana!

I'd be happy to speak with you-- I work at the Baltimore Community Foundation as their donor engagement coordinator. Data isn't in my title but I manage the database system for the donor services/development side of the foundation. My email is dfaulkner@bcf.org and my direct line is 410-332-4172 x 115. Feel free to contact me when you get a chance! Monday I have some time in the afternoon.

Danielle Faulkner
    Baltimore Community Foundation
    Baltimore, MD
    danielle.l.faulkner@gmail.com

Tech Accelerate