Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 8 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

• 1.  Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 08, 2019 08:35

As much fun as it is using technology to share our knowledge and see and hear each other, it's hard to beat meeting up in person when we get the chance.  We're really excited to share that we will again be hosting an in-person meetup at NTC this year!

Come join us at the Data Community Connect Session:

• Friday, 3/15, from 1:15 to 2:30 p.m., in Room 255

However, we know there are many people in this group who are attending and presenting.

Here's your chance to shamelessly plug away: Please share your NTC sessions!  (It's okay to share non-data sessions that you are presenting -- we all wear multiple hats and it's great to be able to support each other!)  

Also, regardless of whether you're presenting, feel free to share any data-related sessions that you look forward to attending so the rest of us can add them to our agendas in the NTC app as well :)

------------------------------
    Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    www.shiftandscaffold.com

• 2.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 08, 2019 12:27
    Awesome. I should be able to make it - my flight isn't until later.

Shameless plug for my talk:
    INCONCEIVABLE: That metric does not mean what you think it means
    Thursday at 3:00pm
    Without repeating what the talk is about, the premise is - we need to shift the nonprofit sector toward better and more robust metrics than what we tend to like to use. We will discuss some of those and moving forward. Also there may be Princess Bride references.

Kirk Schmidt
    Director, Foundation Analytics, Systems, and Operations
    STARS
    Calgary, AB

• 3.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 08, 2019 14:20
    Yes! The Connect sessions don't seem to be showing up in the App, so I (gasp) wrote it down so I'll remember to be there on Friday.

I'm presenting a session on Sketchnotes again this year, and pretty excited about the Tactical format.

Thursday 1:15 and 2:00, Room E141
    https://www.nten.org/ntc/program/sessions/sketchnotes-tools-and-tips-to-improve-visual-communication-2/

Adrienne Figus
    Project Manager, Mellon Museum and Library Collaboration Grant
    Smith College
    Northampton, MA

• 4.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 08, 2019 17:08
    So in addition to the Data Community Connect session Janice mentioned, she and I will be joining @Carrie Rice and @Adam London for a session called Data is Not a Four-Letter Word: Get Your Team on Board. Really excited for the collaborative workshop format of that one.
    ​​​​​​​
    Also, I'd like to plug @Janice Chan and @Dar Veverka's session ​​Strategic Knowledge Management: Don't Stop at Halfway, which I plan on attending because it sounds super-applicable to my org.

Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 5.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 08, 2019 17:38
    Edited by Dar Veverka Mar 08, 2019 17:39
    Emilio has proxy-shamelessly plugged one of my sessions w/Janice Chan (woot- thanks!) so I shall shamelessly plug my other one, which is totally data-related:

Fields Run Amuck - Data Governance for your Organization - Thursday 10:45am F152

Both sessions have a Google drive of downloadable goodies and lots o links for folks to dive into post-session.

~Dar

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 6.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 11, 2019 10:19
    I am not sure if I will be able to make the meetup, but I shall try!

Here is my shameless plug:

The Keys to Successful Internal IT Training
    Thursday at 10:30 am in Room D137 - D138
    How do you excite people about learning how to input data? Keep them enthused when you need to chat about data accuracy? Document the process in a way that can stay fluid but accurate? And do all of this when working the jobs of three people? Sound familiar? Here are some tips and tricks about getting colleagues on board with learning about technology, keeping them engaged, and creating SOPs to ensure ease during transitions.
    https://www.nten.org/ntc/program/sessions/internal-it-training/

Molly Swonger
    Dogwood Alliance
    Asheville, NC

• 7.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 12, 2019 09:05
    Wonderful! Super excited to meet with everyone,

I will be at the meetup. I am not a presenter, but these are few of the sessions that I am planning on attending.

Wednesday
    Volunteer Impact Made Practical: Devise Your User-Friendly Data Collection Tool
    Less Pain, More Gain: Practical Strategy Guide for Effective Technology Decision-Making
    Not Just for Fundraising Anymore: Managing Programs with CRM Systems

Thursday
    That Elusive 360-Degree View: Case Studies on the Way to a Single CRM
    A Tool Extravaganza: New Tactics to Use Now
    The Five Laws of Successful IT Strategy and Planning
    Inconceivable: That Metric Does Not Mean What You Think It Means

Friday
    What It Looks Like When an Online Community Works

See you all there!

Timothy Edingfield
    Primary Contact
    Alternative Youth Activities
    North Bend, OR

• 8.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 13, 2019 03:11
    Sadly my flight leaves on Friday afternoon so I can't make the community session. I'm actually really disappointed to miss it.

I am presenting on Thursday at 1pm No More Post-its: Implementing Password Management for Your Organization

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

• 9.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 13, 2019 12:33
    So many great sessions!  Look forward to seeing those of you who can join us on Friday -- and we'll try to take good notes for those of you who can't make it! 

• 10.  RE: Will we see you in Portland at 19NTC?

Posted Mar 14, 2019 11:49
    Edited by Medha Nanal Mar 14, 2019 11:50
    Hi all,
    I don't know why, I missed this thread earlier. Was catching up on the messages and I saw a few familiar names already! Also, thank you @Timothy Edingfield for plugging my session (Managing program data using CRM)! I hope you found it useful. We had a packed room yesterday and I had so much fun sharing my experiences and wisdom earned from failures too, with the audience.

Wanted to send over a special Woot to @Adrienne Figus. Your sketch notes on our session were phenomenal. I hope I can come for your session (I have a few meetings getting scheduled around the time)! I'm a fan already!!

Janice, Dar (and anyone else whom I might have missed) : I feel like I've known you forever from NTEN boards. I'll try to attend your sessions; they are on my radar, and very relevant to some of the orgs I'm working with!!

Have fun and enjoy your time at the NTC.

​​

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com