Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 3 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Data Viz session at NTC20?

• 1.  Data Viz session at NTC20?

Posted 25 days ago
    Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone is proposing a session at the NTC20 conference in Baltimore? I tried to attend the one scheduled in Portland last spring, but it was cancelled.

Thanks!
    Mario

------------------------------
    Mario Oliveros
    Director, Marketing
    Benetech
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Data Viz session at NTC20?

Posted 24 days ago
    We specializing in working with nonprofits around DataViz. I would be happy to propose a session on that. 

Are other folks interested in that? And what kind of things would folks be interested in hearing about?

We've done sessions on infographics, general DataViz principles that work no matter what you are doing, how to use DataViz more broadly, how to evaluate visualizations, and even specific workshops on how to use Excel to create visualizations that actually use best practices and look beautiful. 

Taj

--

Taj Carson, Ph.D.
    CEO
    904 West 36th Street
    Baltimore, MD 21211

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Data Viz session at NTC20?

Posted 20 days ago
    Yes, especially since I started the thread. The cancelled session was a beginner track and there was a good sized audience who tried to attend. I'd personally be interested in more advanced topics, i.e. working with multiple data sets and data sources, more involved visualizations, and best practices generally of how these helps nonprofits be more data enabled.

Mario Oliveros
    Program Manager
    Benetech
    Palo Alto, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Data Viz session at NTC20?

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Mario,

I just submitted a proposal for a Sprint on how to create visualizations that the human brain can understand easily and quickly. There are ways to do this for free as long as you know the basics, which I'll teach in the session if it's approved.

If you think it's a larger need, maybe several of us can collaborate to host a longer breakout session.

Ellen Peterson
    Partner
    SEJE Consulting

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Data Viz session at NTC20?

Posted 16 days ago
    Ellen,

I would be interested. The response to both the visualizations (which are basic and free) and insights has been strong internally. More importantly, I think it's opening opportunities to help us better drive our program strategy... as well as communicate our impact. Does anyone use visualization for donor reporting, annual reports, or fundraising in general?

Mario

Mario Oliveros
    Program Manager
    Benetech
    Palo Alto, CA

Tech Accelerate