Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: yesterday 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Data viz style guides?

• 1.  Data viz style guides?

Posted Apr 08, 2019 15:05
    Urban Institute recently shared an article about the custom Excel add-ons they created. I was wondering if anyone has created a data visualization style guide (or tried to). We have a general communication style guide in our organization, but not much detail around data visualizations.

------------------------------
    Keisha Carr (pronouns: she/her/hers)
    Business Analyst
    Bainum Family Foundation
    Bethesda, MD
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Data viz style guides?

Posted Apr 13, 2019 12:05
    Bumping this back up in case anyone has any thoughts on data viz style guides to share?  As someone who used be in charge of style guides, I had never thought about having ones for data viz specifically, but it makes sense.

Also tagging in @Janna Holm since I recall you making use of your own Excel macros/add-ons, although I don't know if they were used for style purposes...

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    www.shiftandscaffold.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Data viz style guides?

Posted Apr 14, 2019 15:21
    Hi Janice,
    I am sorry that I do not have anything ready to contribute yet, however, I am working on revising an NTEN class content and I might have some style tips as a byproduct of my class material :-). Let's connect during summer.

Take care,

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Data viz style guides?

Posted Apr 15, 2019 13:50
    You might want to check out the Data Visualization Checklist and corresponding website from Stephanie Evergreen.

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

Tech Accelerate