Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: yesterday 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

• 1.  Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Jun 14, 2018 12:26
    My organization is transitioning to Lightning in July. It's been a fair amount of work, playing around with things and getting used to everything looking different, but lots of it being more or less the same.

I'd say right now the biggest adjustment is getting used to only having four fields visible on a related list, although it's a limit Salesforce plans on expanding in the future.

But I'm also super excited! Being able to add report charts to record pages will open up so many opportunities for us to leverage data more efficiently. I'm only knocking around ideas to present to staff, we'll more fully explore our options after going live with Lightning. Here's an image of two reports I quickly added to our accounts page, breaking down attendance and volunteer activities of accounts. All you have to do is hover over a segment to view what event that color segment corresponds to.

Having a pilot program, where we induct some staff into Lightning early and have them beat up the system, ask questions, and occasionally get stuck, has been instrumental.

Lightning is getting new features at a pretty rapid rate, so staying on top of the admin side has been a challenge for me. I've been too busy to even do much Trailhead units these last few months, although I do try to catch the webinars Salesforce does before and after a release comes out. I'm mostly issue spotting.

Are any of you on Lightning or preparing for it? What have been your biggest adjustments and wins?

------------------------------
    Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Jun 15, 2018 12:40
    We've been on Lightning since last November. Of our staff of four, two took to it like fish to water and the other two were very slow adaptors - only just this month coming fully on board. The only pain point we've had was a bit of sorting out and process changing with attaching additional docs to email templates - but the Spring release appeared to sort that issue out.

Interestingly the two who were very slow were both ISFJ personality types while the two who jumped in were E/I NFP personality types. With our tiny sample, there aren't any real conclusions to draw from this but I thought I'd mention since its a bit fun.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of time for my SalesForce Admin activities and feel like we're missing out on a lot of the functionality - we've just scratched the surface.

Kai Williams
    Executive Director
    The IWRC
    Eugene, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Jun 18, 2018 17:38
    @Kai Williams: boy do I hear you on feeling like you've just scratched the surface! The Summer '18 release notes alone are a 550 page PDF document. In the past couple of months I've learned to love the chaos of making incremental progress, even though it sometimes feels like we're swarmed with new opportunities.

@Stuart McClain: Recreating some of our custom buttons is one of the hurdles we'll jump in the next couple of weeks. Thankfully we don't have any Javascript ones to worry about. I have some logic in our custom buttons that pass ID values to reports in a very specific way that a Lighting Report Chart can't handle.

I almost wish someone would create a document, "Things that might annoy Classic Salesforce users that Lightning hasn't addressed yet." My most recent example, the printable view option for record detail pages is gone! Someone created an app as a workaround, but it has some limitations. Also, the Idea for bringing it back to Lightning doesn't have a lot of traction at the moment.

Emilio Arocho

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Aug 16, 2018 18:08
    Our team is launching all new Salesforce clients directly in Lightning, but our Classic users have been a bit slow to make the transition.

Some things that we've noticed:

• Recycle Bin is gone (there is an App for that, and I actually like it better - Recycle Bin Manager)
    • If you use Conga for Mail Merge templates, I believe all of the buttons have to be modified
    • Printable View for reports came back with the latest release, it's called "Formatted Excel" now (thank goodness!)
    • Button hacks have to be rebuilt as Salesforce Actions (which I think you already noticed)
    • The tab-order of top-down on a page layout is not respected; it always goes left-right, which is SUPER annoying. It's apparently on the 'Road Map' but should have been a no-brainer (support the top-down tab-key order in Lightning experience.)
    • Getting your Activities back on the page (Log a Call, Send Email, Create Task) is kind of funky, because it seems like there's multiple versions of the Action -- look for the one that doesn't appear to have a Package extension in front of it (ie; npsp)
    • Internet Explorer doesn't like Lightning
    • You MUST use Salesforce Files instead of Attachments (which also throws Conga stuff off if you were pulling Attachments into any of your generated Conga documents)
    • Left Sidebar disappears
    • I think there is any issue with Letterhead for email templates in Lightning? A colleague mentioned it, but I don't have specific details

Overall, I really like the look & feel of the Lightning interface (Classic starting to look 'old' to me now), but it is silly that some of these features disappeared.

Crystal Mathews
    Nonprofit Salesforce Consultant
    Sputnik Moment
    Phoenix, AZ

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Aug 17, 2018 09:17
    Thanks for weighing in, Crystal! I didn't even think to check for a recycle bin app...

Emilio Arocho

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Jun 15, 2018 12:59

I really love Lightning – so much better UI – things you can lay out for record pages along and additional functionality.

However, there are some things for which Admin and maybe some users will need to switch back to Classic.

Custom buttons need to be updated and possibly recreated to make them available in Lightning.

Once users get used to the difference – I think they will love it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Aug 17, 2018 10:55
    We're Lightning as well. A few things we find users flipping back to Classic for, or that we flip back ourselves:

- Some third party apps we use for minor items aren't compatible w/Lightning (ex- a Contact uploading pic app). As others noted- this is often a custom button issue
    - The Sharing button to see who has access to a record and why is gone in Lightning. This one is actually super annoying but you can go in and out of Classic to access it.
    - We have some users that really like the email templates management in Classic better

Overall, the Lightning layout & navigation is easier for new users to "get" we find. I always feel like I'm going back to 1995 when I flip back to Classic for a function. If you have users that have only used Lightning, they tend to recoil in horror when they see the Classic interface.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Aug 22, 2018 10:26
    We're still on Classic but plan to move to Lightning within the next 9 months or so.

I'm excited about getting to the other side, but dreading the transition.

Leah Kopperman
    leah@keshetonline.org
    Director, Data & Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
    Pronouns: she/her/hers

Defend transgender equality in MA: Vote Yes on 3!
    Join the coalition with Keshet and Freedom for All Massachusetts to uphold dignity and respect for transgender people #YesOn3 http://bit.ly/yeson3

KESHET
    New York Office
    601 W. 26th Street, Suite 325
    New York, NY 10001
    P: 646.828.9246
    F: 617.524.9229
    www.keshetonline.org

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Salesforce Lightning: Are you on it or moving towards it?

Posted Mar 12, 2019 09:31

I'm late to the party but I wanted to ask for some advice from those who have gone through this. My main issue is that we have a simple instance and don't use some features of Salesforce. For example, we don't have Apps, Consoles and don't use Chatter. In working through Trailhead and the transition process. I feel like it's a whole new system and I should implement all the features. I'm going to dig in and do a lot of learning but I feel that we've been leapfrogged. It's hard to stay on the Salesforce wagon, when you're the one part-time admin.

My approach will be to just transition the objects and features that we already use, then do a phase two to add enhanced features. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks!

Mary

Mary Gaughan
    FSG
    Boston, MA

Tech Accelerate