Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 3 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

• 1.  Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

Posted Jun 27, 2019 18:36
    I am working on a project where the team would like to be able to sync tasks that involve donors and volunteers from their project management tool (Monday.com) and shared Google calendar to the activities section of their CRM system (NeonCRM). We are exploring using Zapier as all of these tools are available to integrate through Zapier with pre-made zaps.

We do not have prior experience working with Zapier so I am looking for anyone who has used it in this manner and even better if you have used it with these specific tools.

Thanks so much,

Sara

------------------------------
    Sara Johansen
    Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans
    New Orleans, LA
    sjohansen@ccano.org
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

Posted Jun 28, 2019 07:23
    Edited by Medha Nanal Jun 28, 2019 09:46
    Hi Sara,

I am familiar with Zapier. Overall, I like the tool -- it provides flexibility in setting up integration according to your business processes (to an extent), however, it is not perfect.

• First, they are still at the mercy of the API of the product to be integrated with, therefore you cannot integrate every use case,
    • Second, many zaps are a work in progress and sometimes, I have come across insufficient functionality with no roadmap to enhance it,
    • Third, they only offer email support. It is very responsive and knowledgeable but still, it's not as *quick* as phone support. There are times when I have yearned for a good old phone number.
    • I found the pricing to be a bit confusing. Overall, my client organization had estimated that a certain level would suffice and were surprised to find that their "usage" as per Zapier was way higher. It's just that it's hard to fully understand their billing logic until you actually run with it. Expect to pay higher than your estimate.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

Posted Jun 28, 2019 09:27
    I'm also a fan of Zapier.

As Medha mentioned, you're largely limited to the Zapier "apps" and what they allow you to do for any given service. Unless an app is in beta, you can access all the information on how they operate without an account.

Zapier also has a built-in feature where you can utilize webhooks, so applications that don't necessarily have a Zapier app can still be worked with. For example, I've used the webhook functionality in order to feed Wordpress form data into Salesforce.

Anyone else? Have you used Zapier with Monday or NeonCRM?

Emilio Arocho
    Director of Technology and Digital Services
    National Association for Healthcare Quality

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:39
    I would echo the issue of pricing. The number of zaps and tasks is always much higher than you think it's going to be.

However, I think Zapier has been superseded by better platforms. Personally, I'd suggest you look at Apiant - https://apiant.com . It supports all your apps too, it's a bit cheaper, and gives you more functionality.

In general, when we do system integration, Zapier is a kind of band-aid, rather than a long-term solution. There's nothing magical about what Zapier does, it just abstracts away the coding. But the coding isn't hard or particularly expensive. Sometimes we'll use Zapier to get something moving, or to test other aspects of  a project, and then replace the Zapier integration with our own code.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Using Zapier to connect Project Management Tool and CRM

Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:44
    Sara,

If you go to this link, it will show you all the possible integrations (78 total) between NeonCRM and Monday. Google Calendar integrations are robust, so if you do run into constraints it will more likely be with Neon or Monday.

Note you need to click on the "Show all Triggers and Actions" link indicated by blue arrow (in pic below) to see ALL the possible integrations.

I acknowledge what others have said - Zapier support can be limited and pricing a little opaque, but I'll counter with this: If you can successfully automate routine processes and avoid humans having to do that work it will provide massive return on investment.

I'll also strongly encourage you to meticulously document all automations you put in place. On our service desk side, our engineers have found many seemingly bizarre support issues come to us that turned out to be undocumented automations set up by consultants or former staff using middleware tools like IFTTT and Zapier.

I certainly recommend you give it a go and see how it works for you.

Good luck!

-JP

fj9f6b1CTbm9rUANHrO5_Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 11.28.10 AM.png

Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

Tech Accelerate