Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Data collection tool/strategy?

• 1.  Data collection tool/strategy?

Posted May 24, 2018 17:37
    I'm interested in collecting the voting precinct data on individuals that sign up either via an online form or paper form, how would I do that without asking those questions directly.  Honestly, I feel a large number of people don't know their voting information such as precinct, district #, etc. , so why go through the hassle of asking it. Plus our attention span is very short these days, longer form very likely someone is not going to complete it.

What's the best strategy for optimizing our data collection tools?  I'm sure that it involves having less forms as possible, but how have you collected the precinct data.  Importing voter file data? Appending records with this data from large companies that perform appending services?

Hope someone can help me with this thought.

------------------------------
    Julius Rainey Jr
    Information Technology Director
    Parents for Public Schools, National Office
    Jackson, MS

• 2.  RE: Data collection tool/strategy?

Posted May 25, 2018 07:21
    We use a program called StrikeIron for this.  It's tied into our AMS and it analyzes the address data to assign someone a congressional district.  I can't say I know much about it as it's been hooked into our system for more years than I was involved in the AMS site of things.  But it works and doesn't require any effort on our part.  The one issue we do have with it is home address vs. business address when those are in different districts.

-Andrea

Andrea Chempinski
    Associate Director, Online Services
    American Immigration Lawyers Association
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Data collection tool/strategy?

Posted May 25, 2018 08:15
    You can pay a data company that provides election-related data to append this information, or you can develop a tool that does it for you. There's an open Google API that you can use to pull in this data. You'll have to write a little bit of code to query the Google API and then write the answers back to your database.

https://developers.google.com/civic-information/

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com