Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 5 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Community Foundation Software

• 1.  Community Foundation Software

Posted Apr 03, 2018 09:32
    I've been approached by Community Foundation which manages about 100 donor driven foundations.  They solicit and take donations, manage grants, and scholarships.  They are looking for one software package which could manage all their needs.  They have looked at CommunitySuite.   Does anyone have experience with CommunitySuite or other recommendations?

------------------------------
    Judy Vanderleest
    Strength in Change
    Grand Junction, CO

• 2.  RE: Community Foundation Software

Posted Apr 04, 2018 09:22
    Hello Judy!
    As a good starting point for research in this area, I'd recommend the Idealware Consumers Guide to Grants Management Software.  The guide includes overviews and specifications on 29 systems for all levels of organizations making grants.  Lengthy, but well worth taking the time to go through it.

Consumers Guide to Grants Management Systems - Idealware

Best of luck!

Matt

Matt Veltkamp
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Community Foundation Software

Posted Apr 04, 2018 13:21
    "One software package that can manage all their needs."

That's the sentence that always makes me nervous! (Reminds me of Sauron's ring in Lord of the Rings)

There's an idealware report about software for community foundations: https://www.idealware.org/reports/consumers-guide-integrated-systems-community-foundations/

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 4.  RE: Community Foundation Software

Posted Apr 05, 2018 10:33
    Hi Judy,

As some of our colleagues have already mentioned - there are a variety of options out there for managing grants, etc. Have had similar conversations/projects with some of our clients and these are things I typically want to know before looking at software:

• Is this going to be the "only" system they'll be keeping information in - or does it need to connect with an existing/proposed CRM, a financial system or other type of process-specific database? Most folks have things across multiple systems - and we've all seen the pain of that in upkeep and people time.
    • If some of their information already lives in a powerful CRM-type of system (Salesforce comes to mind) - have they explored leveraging the inherent functionality (like Contract object and related workflow processes - which I regularly repurpose for grant/funder management in Salesforce) and related apps and could make what they do seamless - and at potentially less time/cost than implementing than another whole system?
    • Who and how? My standard question (and probably yours, too) around who are each of the players using the system from end-to-end and how is it going to be maintained ($ and people). The answers quickly help you weed through the options.
    Good luck in your search - and happy to chat at any time!

All the best,
    Cassie

Cassie Dennis
    Director
    Monday Loves You
    cassie@mondaylovesyou.com
    Chicago IL