Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 5 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Client/Case management DB inventory

• 1.  Client/Case management DB inventory

Posted Dec 28, 2018 09:33
    What client/case management systems are organization using? Excel/Google spreadsheets, MS Access DB, Ruby/SQL, SalesForce, or commercial products - what's the lay of the land today? How integrated are various activities such as intake/assessment, program enrollment, attendance, outcome tracking and the like.

What mandated databases are you required to use? These are likely required by government entities as well as funders for early childhood, DV, job training, and the like. How easy is it to get information into these systems, particularly importing from your own inhouse system? How much access do you have to the data after you've provided it? Do they add value or are they used because you have to to maintain funding?

Are there other issues in data management around providing services to individuals and families that we should be talking about?

Asking for a friend

<essay question joke> Use the back of the page if necessary.</essay question joke>

------------------------------
    Tim Mills-Groninger
    Whiting, IN
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Client/Case management DB inventory

Posted Dec 31, 2018 09:26
    Full disclosure: I'm with a consulting firm that implements Salesforce only, and we've developed a Salesforce user interface for case management, so I may be biased. It's an investment to get it configured well from the get-go, but their discounted licenses for nonprofits and customizability/flexibility make it a popular choice. You have full access to your data and can import, export, and pull reports as you wish. Getting your data into Salesforce initially depends on the quality of said data.

Many of the organizations I speak with are either coming from or also considering spreadsheets, access, or "out-of-the-box" case management systems like ETO, and there are pros/cons with all of them.

Here's our case management solution site, including a free whitepaper about choosing case management software: https://501casemanager.com/.
    I'm happy to talk to your friend further about what other systems our clients are using and reporting requirements.

Lindsey Peterson
    501Partners
    Boston, MA

Tech Accelerate