Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 5 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

lawyer to advise on GDPR?

• 1.  lawyer to advise on GDPR?

Posted Apr 13, 2018 12:44
    Hi data nerds!

Asking on behalf of a friend who is the ED of a small funding
    organization with global reach. Their IT person and their director of
    grantmaking have a good handle on what they need to do for GDPR
    compliance but they have a list of questions they would like to pose to
    a lawyer with this expertise.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

-LJ

--
    Lisa Jervis
    Principal
    Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations
    https://iecology.org/

My pronouns are she/her.

Want to send me encrypted email? My public key is available at https://ecl.gy/lj-gpg.

• 2.  RE: lawyer to advise on GDPR?

Posted May 15, 2018 16:07
    Edited by Emilio Arocho May 15, 2018 16:20
    Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure where this organization is located, but you might try reaching out to the local bar association to see if they can get you in touch with low cost or pro bono resources in the area.

The Washington, DC bar association has a very robust pro bono center that offers all kinds of assistance. Just last week I attended a legal clinic around the issues of intellectual property and found it enormously helpful for my org.

Does anyone else have resources or ideas to share?

------------------------------
    Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 3.  RE: lawyer to advise on GDPR?

Posted May 16, 2018 18:52
    Hi Lisa,

Our organization has used TrustLaw previously. That said, we are also looking for other short term options as they are inundated with GDPR requests and do not have time until June or later.

Stacey

TrustLaw | Thomson Reuters Foundation
    Trust remove preview
    TrustLaw | Thomson Reuters Foundation
    We are the philanthropic arm of Thomson Reuters, the world's biggest news and information provider.
    View this on Trust >

Stacey Monty
    Earthwatch Institute
    Boston, MA

• 4.  RE: lawyer to advise on GDPR?

Posted May 17, 2018 15:03
    We provide GDPR compliance consulting, and help organizations diagnose, prioritize, plan and execute compliance. We do not provide legal services, but we do work with in coordination with attorneys, either the client's existing counsel or an attorney from our network for professional legal oversight. Please reach out directly if you'd like to learn more.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com