Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: one year ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Requesting email and on the do not mail list

• 1.  Requesting email and on the do not mail list

Posted Jan 22, 2020 09:53
    Anyone else have problems with members in a CRM both requesting information by email and being on the "no email from this domian" list?

Not sure how this happens.  Probably a variety of avenues: member accidently clicked UNsubscribe from all, member intentionally clicked UNsubscribe but now wants something, and/or the member record data was input or loaded incorrectly marked DO NOT send email .

However it happens, its challenging.  Sometimes its even members who hold elected positions so we want/need to be in touch via email on a regular basis.  I know there are legal constrictions on us too.

It is not always practical to snail mail or call each affected member and request they log in and change the elections, but may be that is the only way?

Any suggestions or just commiserations are welcome

------------------------------
    Jenn Krueger
    Project Manager
    New York, NY
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Requesting email and on the do not mail list

Posted Jan 23, 2020 01:36
    Yes, this can be SO frustrating!

When you're using platforms like Mailchimp or Emma, there really is no alternative besides the user manually resubscribing. However, commercial mail service providers like SendGrid don't restrict you in that way. That's not much comfort if you're stuck in a system that doesn't allow you to opt people back in.

This is especially frustrating for nonprofits, whose messages largely don't fall under CAN-SPAM requirements. Even an email soliciting a donation is not a commercial email under the law, and there's no need to offer unsubscribe options! The whole thing is driven by our use of email providers who cater to businesses. The best answer I know is to use email providers who place the onus on the customer to comply rather than hard-coding enforcement.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a Call: https://www.calendly.com/sage70/30min

• 3.  RE: Requesting email and on the do not mail list

Posted Jan 23, 2020 10:48
    I think what my org needs is more sophisticated opt out options, so members can refuse solicitation emails and still receive news and event messages.  Especially when they are supposed to be running the events!  ��  I know some sites when I hit UNSUBSCRIBE, I am taken to a page where I can choose ALL EMAIL or other more targetted opt outs.

More things to learn about Luminate I guess.

Jenn