Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 3 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

• 1.  Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jun 30, 2019 10:44
    Edited by Emilio Arocho Jun 30, 2019 10:47
    Hi all,

GA has a report type called Behavior Flow, and it very concisely and visually explains website paths of behavior.

I want to create something like this to display event attendance for an annual conference over time, with green blobs for each registration type, and instead of showing 1st interaction, 2nd interaction, I'd want to show 2017 Conference, 2018 Conference, etc.

The idea is we can see visually how many people carry over into multiple years of attendance, as well as the % of those people that become speakers, exhibitors, etc. I like how the red dropoffs could indicate people who only attend a single year, but that's not a core requirement.

Any tips on software that could get this done? Thanks!

ZnpDiR2vQNyVc9oJt8E5_maxresdefault.jpg

------------------------------
    Emilio Arocho
    Director of Technology and Digital Services
    National Association for Healthcare Quality

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jul 01, 2019 15:27
    Hi Emilio,

I was looking for something like this recently too. I like how the GA Behavior Flow report lays out paths of interaction, and I was hoping to develop a similar report to give us insight on volunteers' activity with our programs. If you find any good tool for this, please let me know! (And I'll do the same if I find anything.)

good luck,
    Joe

Joe Bobman
    (pronouns: he/him/his)
    Technology & Engagement Manager
    Food Forward
    Los Angeles, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jul 01, 2019 16:35
    Thanks @Joe Bobman!

Apparently​​ what I'm looking for is called a Sankey diagram. Most BI tools can create this sort of thing. I know Tableau and Power BI can.

Emilio Arocho

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jul 05, 2019 09:34
    I just wanted to let anyone curious know I made version 1.0 of what I was looking for in Power BI. Once I have more than two years of data in here, I think it's really going to be useful.

The ability to drill into specific segments by clicking on them is the best part. This diagram summarizes a ton of information that would be hard to share in any other way.

Emilio Arocho

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jul 07, 2019 10:43

Was going to ask!  This is really neat and seems really useful for seeing how you're doing with say member engagement over time. 

Did you have to do a lot of work to get your data into a particular format to create the Sankey diagram?

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    www.shiftandscaffold.com

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Creating a data visualization like Google Analytics' Behavior Flow Report?

Posted Jul 09, 2019 18:59
    I was able to get the info for 2018 and 2019 from three different Salesforce reports. To generate the Sankey I created a simple table with three columns from the results: Source/Destination/Amount.

There are probably ways to make it easier in the future, with SOQL statements to create the table automatically, or some custom fields.

Emilio Arocho

Tech Accelerate