Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: 2 days ago 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Odoo as alternative to Salesforce?

• 1.  Odoo as alternative to Salesforce?

Posted Sep 24, 2018 06:08
    In my work with some more privacy-minded organizations, I came across Odoo (https://www.odoo.com/) as an alternative to Salesforce for organizations with either a commitment to open source, privacy or both.

I'm wondering if anyone on this list has heard of Odoo, taken a look at it or has any experience supporting or implementing it. If so, general impressions?

Thanks!

-JP

------------------------------
    Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Odoo as alternative to Salesforce?

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:53
    Hi Joshua,

Great to meet you via the forum. I am a NTEN faculty as well and also a consultant, who provides services related to data & databases to nonprofits. I've also attended one of your classes :-) and enjoyed it earlier this year.

I have taken a look at Odoo earlier, and although I have no detailed experience, nor do I know any nonprofits who currently use it, here are my impressions about the product:

First of all, I did not get a chance to look at the security and privacy aspects -- sorry that I cannot be of help there.

Odoo has a much easier user experience, (i.e. learning curve with product might be shorter) -- and does not need much of customization for setting up typical sales pipeline-type tasks. However, in terms of data model, I think that Odoo offers somewhat limited flexibility to design structures, as well as the level of automation.

In terms of pricing, pretty much every module of the product is sold separately. While this is flexible, it also means that costs might add up quickly.

In terms of automation & workflows, my sense was that the product is developing. Ditto for integrations -- however,, with an array of modules already available, a small to medium nonprofit might be able to get started quickly and may not need as many integrations. And of course, there is API, therefore connecting with cloud based middleware systems like Zapier is easy.

It seems like an open source project, and I like that aspect of the product. However, that automatically means a somewhat DIY model and not every nonprofit is ready for an open source system.

Hope this helps,

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate