Nonprofits and Data

last person joined: yesterday 

This group is for those interested in learning and sharing about all things data-related for nonprofits. The Nonprofits and Data group is for people using data to serve a mission, either directly or by improving nonprofits and the nonprofit sector. That includes everything from collecting data and managing databases to analytics, data visualization and data mining. Here are some examples of topics we discuss: using data to improve organizational effectiveness, measuring impact, using data for storytelling, tools for data management and analysis, figuring out the “right” data to collect, and learning skills to help us use data better.

Making data visualizations accessible for people who are visually impaired

• 1.  Making data visualizations accessible for people who are visually impaired

Posted Jan 21, 2019 21:46
    One of my friends is teaching a class on data visualization and recently found out one of the students is visually impaired -- it sounds like the student is blind. My friend is struggling with what to do with the data visualizations besides describe them, as well as how to teach the student how to create them. (It sounds like they may be using R and/or Python, I'm not entirely sure.)  I was wondering if anyone in this group might know of any software or techniques or resources that might be helpful?  I've come across a lot on making data viz accessible for people who are color blind, but not for people who are blind or who have extremely limited sight.  Appreciate any suggestions!

------------------------------
    Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    Baltimore, MD
    www.shiftandscaffold.com
    Twitter: @curiositybone
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Making data visualizations accessible for people who are visually impaired

Posted Jan 22, 2019 10:58
    Edited by Medha Nanal Jan 23, 2019 11:03
    Hi Janice,

I've never encountered this situation before, but I'd imagine that one could use legos to create some shapes that can be useful in getting an idea of charts etc. for those who are visually impaired.

Hope this helps,
    Medha

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Making data visualizations accessible for people who are visually impaired

Posted Jan 24, 2019 10:12
    I asked the person here at the ADA who probably knows the most about data viz. She agreed this is a challenging question and that there's more resources for color blind individuals than other visually impaired individuals. Here's some information she found:

Sarah Meyer Hughes
    Manager, Analytics and Innovation
    American Dental Association
    Chicago, IL
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Making data visualizations accessible for people who are visually impaired

Posted Jan 24, 2019 15:35
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Consultant, SH/FT+SCAFFOLD
    Baltimore, MD
    www.shiftandscaffold.com
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Tech Accelerate