WordPress

last person joined: 4 days ago 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

• 1.  Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 06, 2015 15:11

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in nonprofits that have found ways to release public open source tools (WordPress themes or plugins, resources, etc.) and am coming up with a pretty short list.

Does anyone know of organizations making contributions back into open source communities, specifically WordPress?

Thanks,
    -Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Root-Wiley
    MRW Web Design

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 06, 2015 16:07
    Hmm, no idea here.  What's the list you have so far?  I'd be interested to hear who's doing this type of work.

Cindy Leonard
    Consulting Team Leader
    Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
    Pittsburgh PA

• 3.  RE: Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 08, 2015 16:34

Like I said, it's disappointingly short and mostly larger organizations or government agencies. I have a couple clients projects that I'll share later in a blog post.

Other than that:

Mark Root-Wiley
    MRW Web Design

• 4.  RE: Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 09, 2015 08:36

That makes a lot of sense though - that they would be larger orgs.  My nonprofit clients who use WP barely have the wherewithal to keep their own sites running (usually not enough staff or funding for that type of thing), let alone contribute code to a base.

It's great that you are compiling a list, thank you for sharing it!

Cindy Leonard
    Consulting Team Leader
    Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
    Pittsburgh PA

• 5.  RE: Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 09, 2015 10:24
    At the Naples Free-Net I run the NFN4Good program providing nonprofit technology support and education for members and non-members a like. In addition to running the local 501TechClub I also spend quite some time on WordPress. 

In 2010 we helped about 14 nonprofit organization that are hosting their sites with the NFN4Good to migrate to WordPress and since then we contribute very much to the WordPress community at large. Not so much by contributing code,but by providing user support and ongoing training to now 50+ organizations. 

Of course the organization (NFN) does't really contribute to WordPress as we are all volunteers. And as such I spend probably 10 to 20 hours a month giving email support, facilitate monthly Walk-in Clinics as well as provide hosting and set-up for local nonprofits. That doesn't count the hours I spend testing and reviewing plugins, themes and 3rd party services to integration with WordPress. Last year, I took over the local WordPress Meetup and run more general monthly meetup. 

I have a hard time attributing this to any organization, nonprofit or commercial, as it is my personal commitment. And it will go where I go. If I were to attribute it to any entity, I probably would attribute it to my consulting company, Relevanza, as revenue there is funding my personal choices on how I spend my time. 

It's probably very hard for organizations, to 'own' their techies contribution to WordPress, as most techies are in the same situation I am. We all learn and explore in our spare times. 

And WordPress itself doesn't define "Contributions" just as coding contributions. You can contribute by advocacy, support, trainings, any organization can contribute and even if it's just answering questions on WordPress.org support forums. Or helping a friend out in WordPress. And we all have done this long before Matt Mullenweg was talking about 5%. That's what the WordPress community is all about pretty much for the last ten years. 

When Matt Mullenweg talks about the 5% contribution, he doesn't necessarily have the nonprofits and their techies in mind that use WordPress as a platform for their online presence and server their organiation's missions. 

This concrete measure is meant for the development shops and designer shops, that earn every day directly from the WordPress community and sell their own WordPress products or host WordPress sites, so sell WordPress maintenance software or other tools. Or use WordPress to make millions in membership and training etc.. 

It think, it's an interesting topic to talk about open-source contribution. I am not sure if for instance the Mozilla Foundation, itself genetically anchored in the open-source philosophy should divert sparse resources to help out another open-source community, just because they use the products? It's a difficult choice. We all have a calling to change the world to make it better. And we all do what we can with the resources we have. 

Thanks for bringing up this topic, I like to think about it some more:-) 

Birgit

• 6.  RE: CoP: WordPress : Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Jan 13, 2015 18:57

Birgit,

Thanks for such an in-depth response. I'm sorry if I implied that some of those other forms of contribution weren't. I am very much a believer in a broad definition of "contribution" to open source. I'm happy to see that the WordPress Codex agrees too!

I've had various projects end up as the basis of plugins and just recently a theme, and I'm curious if others are doing the same thing. That said, those are far from the only ways to contribute and I'm glad you took the time to make that point so well! 

Thanks for all you do for the WordPress community! It's surely better for it :)

-Mark

p.s. I completely agree that the 5% comment was targeted at for-profit shops using WordPress.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Drive Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 7.  RE: Looking for Nonprofits Making Open Source Contributions

Posted Feb 24, 2015 12:20

I'm sure some people saw this already, but I wanted to highlight a really great article on the NTEN blog yesterday related to this topic: "The How and Why of Nonprofits Contributing to Open Source".

One of the highlights from the article:

> What did that first nonprofit and the other handful of early adopters get for supporting the initial release? Within less than a year of initially contributing to this module, they opened the door to many tens of thousands of dollars worth of free enhancements to their website and mapping tools.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Drive Organizations
    Seattle, WA