Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

• 1.  Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 16, 2016 01:09

We are excited to welcome you to our new Digital Inclusion group!  We at NTEN have been working on digital inclusion issues for quite some time, and are happy to launch this space to discuss all things digital inclusion related.  Whether you are a digital inclusion newbie or an expert, we want to make this a supportive, productive, and informative space to share information, ask questions, and exchange ideas.

If you are really passionate about this topic and would like to be this group's organizer, please let me know!

In the meanwhile, I'd love to get things started by doing a round of introductions.  You can share any introduction you want, but here are some suggestions:

• Where you're from/where you are currently?
    • What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group?
    • If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
    • If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be?

I'll share my answers to kick things off:

• Where you're from/where you are currently?:  I'm from Kiev, Ukraine and am currently living in Portland, OR
    • What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group?: I'm looking forward to hearing more about small scale digital inclusion initiatives that are often not well known nationally.  Sometimes, a tiny nonprofit with a staff of 2 in rural Oregon is actually leading the charge on innovative digital inclusion programs, and we just don't know about it.  I'm hoping this space can bring those to light!
    • If you could have any superpower, what would it be?: Teleportation
    • If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be?: That no matter how much we work on digital literacy and training, we won't be able to make the Internet relevant until we make sure that the diversity of Internet content reflects the diversity of the global community.

Who's next?

------------------------------
    Leana Mayzlina
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    Portland OR
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Sep 14, 2016 16:58

Hello all,

Jumping in (better late than never!) with my intro post. Hope others do too! I'm looking forward to learning more about everyone's work and how it intersects with digital inclusion issues.

I'm originally from Massachusetts and moved to Portland (via Maine) 10 years ago. I left my wonderful team at Portland State University in March 2016 when I got the opportunity to help manage NTEN's Digital Inclusion Fellowship.

I'm hoping to learn more about how nonprofits see digital inclusion and digital literacy relates to their work. For some nonprofits, such as adult education organizations and public libraries, it's easy to see to the need and respond with programming. I'd love to learn about how other nonprofits, outside of education, see and respond to needs around digital access and skills.

To shrink to the size of a little green army man and ride on the backs of city pigeons.

• If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be?

Acquiring the skills and confidence to use technology can have profoundly positive effects on individuals' lives.

Drew Pizzolato
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 02, 2016 10:59

Hi all!

Kathy Flint, Evanston, IL (Chicago-ish)

Nice to meet you all. I've been an NTEN lurker for several months now. I'm a software engineer by training and a nonprofit executive by necessity. My professional life is built around providing technology (open source software, in particular) to the nonprofit and grassroots social justice community.

Superpower: I'm sitting here thinking about this way too long... I would like to be able to see the ripple effects of every small act of justice that most of us do many times a day, like in some cool inforgraphic.

I would like us (me first in line) to understand the supply-chain and environmental complexities of digital inclusion so that we can set the right goals.

Chat later,

Kathy Flint
    CEO
    Northbridge Technology Alliance
    Evanston, IL

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 02, 2016 15:56

Hi Kathy!

Thanks for introducing yourself! I'm curious to learn more about what you mean about supply chain and environmental complexities. If you come across any good articles, please share!

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 03, 2016 13:53

Hi Drew,

Ok, "supply chain and environmental complexities" is a doozy of a phrase :)

Just one example of what I'm trying to say:

On the one hand we hear about initiatives, sometimes underwritten by major hardware vendors, to get laptops for every school child: Bing for Schools Offers Classrooms Free Microsoft Surface Tablets

On the other had, there is a well-documented environmental disaster underway with respect to electronic waste. China: The electronic wastebasket of the world

More laptops can only add to environmental degradation unless there is a thoughtful approach to that digital inclusion goal that is informed by a deep understanding of the hardware supply chain and the ultimate environmental and economic outcomes of our choices.

In other words, speaking *very generally* and without passing judgement on any particular initiative or organization: Helping one population at the (inadvertant) expense of another would be a tragic outcome and something I am interested in avoiding. I am also interested in avoiding initiatives that entrench corporate interests while not *actually* benefiting, over time, the populations that are the intended beneficiaries.

Happy to hear reflections on this from folks who are far more invested and knowledgeable of the digital inclusion space than I am! 

Chat later,

Kathy

Kathy Flint
    CEO
    Evanston, IL

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 03, 2016 14:11

Kathy,

I understand your point much better now. It's an interesting perspective on the digital inclusion issue. Stepping back for just a moment I can see that in our rush to make the opportunities of technology available to everyone many of us haven't taken the time to consider the environmental impact of the associated hardware. I'm guessing that there are some really smart people thinking about the environmental impact of our device churn, I'll have to check out those links and poke around to learn more.

Thanks for sharing this! And I hope you'll circle back with any future thoughts or connections you make.

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 04, 2016 12:43

Hi Drew,

Let me make clear that I'm not bringing any indictment or criticism on the digital inclusion community! Just thinking... 

With you being in Portland, I wonder if you are acquainted with Free Geek, also located in Portland. They are deep into the digital waste issues and doing really practical work to address it. I bet leadership there could point you to some really informative resources.

Best, and chat later,

Kathy Flint, CEO
    Evanston, IL

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 03, 2016 06:39

Hello all,

Here are my responses:

• I'm from Michigan (Detroit / Ann Arbor area) but currently residing in Cleveland OH based on a new role I took last year with the Cleveland Foundation.
      • Currently, I am responsible for developing and implementing the foundation's Digital Equity and Inclusion strategy as it pertains to our grant-making and leadership role in Greater Cleveland.  Therefore, I hope to learn about innovative programs and ideas others are doing in this space from other practitioners.
      • The power to do in 1 day what the average person can do in a week; i.e. the power to bend time.
      • It is a continuous effort like addressing hunger, poverty, homelessness and so forth.  Therefore, we must be longer at long-term / continuous programmatic efforts from a variety of angles to address digital inclusion.  In some ways its a moving target.
      • It's far more of a multi-dimensional issue than simply basic computing skill, computers in the home/classrooms, and cheap internet access.

Leon Wilson
    Chief Technology and Information Officer
    The Cleveland Foundation
    Cleveland, OH

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 03, 2016 14:06

Hi Leon,

Thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself in this group! We were able to meet briefly at NTC last year (my first). Hope to see you in DC!

I'd love to talk with you more about innovative digital inclusion programs. We're fortunate enough to have a role in a large variety through our Digital Inclusion Fellowship. I completely agree with your point about the breadth and depth of thinking we need to do around digital inclusion. Two recent items that speak to this: LINCS discussion of technology skills, literacy, problem solving, and the OECD's PS-TRE assessment; blog post from Douglas White at the Carnegie UK Trust.

Look forward to chatting more,

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 10.  *New Proud Member*

Posted Nov 13, 2016 00:22

Good Day,

Happy to have fold this valuable resource & the treasured Members...

Humble, willing and eager student towards learning best practices/methods to better Serve our Community & Youth.

(LIL) Life-long-Learner)

Highest Regards

(NEY Support)

Ralph Williams Jr.
    CTO - Learner
    Neighbors Empowering Youth - (NEY) - CTC
    Altadena, CA
    Tech Accelerate

• 11.  RE: *New Proud Member*

Posted Nov 14, 2016 14:51

Ralph,

Welcome to the group!  Sounds like you are already doing some digital inclusion work with your community and youth in particular.  Are there any best practices/methods that you've already identified that could be helpful to the other folks in this group?

Thanks and welcome!

Leana

Leana Mayzlina
    Senior Digital Inclusion Manager
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 12.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 15, 2016 13:46

Hi everyone!

I'm so pleased to see this NTEN community. For the last couple of months I've been participating (as a trainer) in a web literacy training pilot at the library. We're using content and curriculum from Mozilla and leading a cohort of library staff through classes on privacy, coding, and web mechanics. (Here's more info on the pilot from Mozilla.) The idea is to educate our staff so they understand more and can pass that knowledge and curiosity on to fellow staff members as well as patrons. I think this article on the "invisible digital divide" in libraries is pretty spot on.

Where you're from/where you are currently?

I was born in Portland, Oregon, moved out to a rural farm for several years, then up to San Juan Island in Washington state before returning to Portland where I've been ever since. I work at Multnomah County Library, which is a library system with 19 branches and many outreach programs.

What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group?

I'd like to learn how people are improving their work through digital inclusion/literacy, and how people are challenged but persevering. I'd also like to hear how you explain the importance of digital inclusion to people who are new to the concept.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

To look at a building, know the history, and see what it looked like in the past.

If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be?

More people are struggling than you may realize. And who's struggling and what they're challenged by may be different than you'd expect.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you!

Liza J Dyer, CVA
    Program Coordinator, Volunteer Services
    Multnomah County Library
    Portland OR

Tech Accelerate

• 13.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 15, 2016 17:30

Liza, great to see you in this group, thanks for joining!

The digital literacy pilot you're participating in sounds really interesting, and a great model for train the trainer initiatives that are cropping up everywhere. Is there any centralized place where the participating orgs/libraries are collecting their learning and experiences so it may be shared with others?  I'd be eager to hear how the pilot progresses and what the takeaways are.

In terms of how to talk about/explain digital inclusion, I think there are many experienced voices in this group that could start giving you some ideas.  For me, it greatly depends on who I'm talking to - depending on whether it's a potential participant, a funder, a trainer, etc., I frame the topic in different ways.  One piece that can act as the backbone of those explanations is the typical 3-legged stool analogy; digital inclusion is made up of access, devices, and skills.  And as to explaining the importance of it, I think drawing on people's personal experiences really helps.  Asking folks: when is the last time you applied for a job in person?  How did you find the address of this library; did you use Google Maps? Have you ever tried typing up a resume on your smartphone?  I think many people take the role of technology and internet in our lives for granted, so making individuals stop and thinking about what it would be like to not have that access/skill is a first step in helping them recognize its importance.  I'd be curious what other ideas people have for communicating the importance of digital inclusion!

Looking forward to learning from you and your work!

Leana Mayzlina
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 14.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Nov 16, 2016 19:09

Thanks for the warm welcome, Leana!

We're using Mozilla Discourse for sharing experiences between libraries, but it hasn't been the most active place. (I'm guilty of not engaging in the forum, too.) I've only taught one of my classes so far, but I'm planning to share ideas and suggestions on the forums after I've taught another class or two since my co-trainer and I may be adjusting some of the activities.

I really like the "3-legged stool analogy" and I'm not sure if I'd heard it before... Thank you for sharing that concept and the talking points! Most of my work involves engaging volunteers and (usually) using technology to make processes and communication easier. The more I learn about digital literacy/inclusion, the more thoughtful I try to be with how my organization uses tech with volunteers. Always more to learn!

Liza J Dyer, CVA
    Program Coordinator, Volunteer Services
    Multnomah County Library
    Portland OR

Tech Accelerate

• 15.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Feb 07, 2017 14:19
    Hi everyone! I am Emily Weinberg and I am now the organizer of this community!  

I haven't introduced myself yet, so here are my answers-

Where you're from/where you are currently?

from Dallas, TX and currently in the Washington, DC area 

I hope to learn ways individuals can volunteer or use social media and blogs to help bridge the digital divide.

to be in two places at once

If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be?

It's not just people in rural areas that are falling behind, people in larger cities are also falling behind.

Thanks Leana for starting this thread! Look forward to hearing other introductions. 

Tech Accelerate

• 16.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Feb 09, 2017 16:20
    Hi Emily,

Great to e-meet you! We are so happy to have a community organizer for the digital inclusion group!! Thank you!

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 17.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted May 16, 2017 14:11
    I hail from Las Vegas, Nevada, but currently live in Seattle, WA.

I'm interested in how nonprofit organizations with emerging bilingual constituents, use social media as a dialogic communications and inclusion tool. Any practical articles or case studies would be greatly appreciated! In addition, are there nonprofit organizations who are doing this (having a dialogue with their emerging bilingual constituents, and building relationships via digital media) well on social media?

To hold and provide light/energy, especially on the rainy, dark Seattle days.

It is everyone's responsibility to take a look at who is and is not at the table, and take action.

Kaily Serralta

Tech Accelerate

• 18.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted May 23, 2017 15:12

Hi! I'm Jayne Cravens, and I live in Portland, Oregon (I'm originally from Kentucky).

Digital Inclusion is something I've been an advocate for since the 1990s, when I first learned at just how much the Internet was locking out people with disabilities and people using assistive technologies to navigate what we then called cyberspace. Quite honestly, I never expected, all these years later, to still be beating the drum on this issue. I can't believe I'm still fighting for this kind of inclusion to be a part of discussions about the digital divide - I have experienced resistance not only from organizations regarding making their web sites and online tools fully accessible, but also from people that talk about digital inclusion - they often want to limit discussions to making broadband more widespread and improving access to up-to-date devices to various groups.

If I could have any superpower, it would be being able to read while riding in a car. Yes, I consider that a super power. My life would be transformed more by this than being able to fly. 

Jayne Cravens
    www.coyotecommunications.com
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 19.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted May 26, 2017 19:23
    Welcome, Jayne! It's great to have you here.

--
    Bethany Lister
    Community Engagement Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
    http://nten.org | @NTENorg
    503-272-8733

Get the latest nonprofit news, case studies and best practices. Explore and subscribe to the NTEN Connect blog.

Tech Accelerate

• 20.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:39
    Where you're from/where you are currently?  Quick intro: I'm the Director of Communications & Resource Development at RUPCO (we create homes, support people and improve communities across a broad spectrum of housing solutions in NY's Hudson Valley). I also am a community organizer in the NTEN WordPress Community with @MarkRootWiley and @JasonKing (come one by and check us out WordPress - NTEN Community http://community.nten.org/wordpress )

What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group?  Broadband and internet accessibility for peole of modest income is critical to their upwad mobility out of poverty, improve handicapabilty,  move into higher income brackets and education strata. Since part of RUPCo's business involves in creating rental homes and apartments, why not get the digital inclusion ball rolling from day 1 of construction? Better yet, let's make it part of all real estate development discussions was we build/renovate/historically preserve buildings for new use as homebase for htose who need it most. I need tools on how to make that conversation happen.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Be in two places at once/transcend time (Hermoine Granger time turner?)

If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be? Digital access is no longer a privilege, it's a human right. Knowledge is power and we can learn, do, be anything with the help of Internet access.

Tara Collins
    Director of Communication & Resource Development
    RUPCO, Inc.
    Kingston, NY

Tech Accelerate

• 21.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 23, 2017 16:00
    Hi Tara & Welcome! I would love to talk digital inclusion and housing with you sometime!

Several of our fellows (cc: @Munirih Jester @Michael Byrd, JD @Cache Owens to name a few) did incredible digital inclusion work in public and low income housing contexts. It sounds like you are looking at some problems of wiring and infrastructure, is that right? Does your organization do any work getting people to subscribe to broadband at home or provide digital literacy training?

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 22.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 26, 2017 08:58
    Hi Tara,

Are you looking for local ordinances or a checklist that would help you to ensure the internal infrastructure is in place for new and renovated building projects? Some cities are now putting such things in place and perhaps it could be something helpful to a housing authority as well.

Let me know!
    Deb

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 23.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 27, 2017 06:45
    I think our issues are threefold:
    1. Construction expense for installing internet/broadband is not covered within the original development budget
    2. Construction expense may not be covered by grant monies to LIHTC, HtC or other tax credit offerings.
    3. Ongoing expense (to landlord/property owner RUPCO) of offering free WiFi is not included in ongoing operating expense or identified as a cost to be met (or maybe it is, I don't get to see these budgets) and probablynot included in property management fee offset.
    4. If we install the infrastructure and leave the
    expense of internet connection to resident,s most can't afford even $15 extra a month for access. Or the hardware to get connected (router, computer, smart phone).

in reality, a building should offer free WiFi within the unit. Our last historic renovation offers free WiFi in the public galleries/lobbies which is a step in the right direction.

Send whatever you have that will be helpful moving forward. I've cracked the door open on this
    topic at our senior leadership meeting so I just have to deliver on the solution.

Tara Collins
    RUPCO, Inc.
    Kingston, NY

Tech Accelerate

• 24.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 28, 2017 15:25
    Hi Tara,
    I understand. The issue is really the cost. Do you know about this info from the Federal Reserve on funding infrastructure and broadband for low and moderate income families? https://digitalinclusion.org/blog/2016/07/21/new-federal-reserve-publication-links-digital-inclusion-and-community-reinvestment-act/ There is a tutorial included. 
    You likely know that HUD has established new rules for new builds and substantial renovations for housing authorities - http://blog.nanmckay.com/2017/01/broadband-infrastructurehttp://blog.nanmckay.com/2017/01/broadband-infrastructure I am uncertain of whether or not this is relevant for you, but thought I'd share it. 
    Also, many low income housing authorities are making it part of their mission (therefore revising budgets) to ensure that the costs can be covered - here is info from the White House about the HUD project called Connect Home - https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2015/07/15/fact-sheet-connecthome-coming-together-ensure-digital-opportunity-all 
    Boston does now ask for info about buildings being broadband ready and though this may not be directly relevant, the checklist might be helpful - https://muninetworks.org/sites/www.muninetworks.org/files/COB-BPDA-Article80-Broadband-Ready-Buildings-Questionnaire.pdf 
    Another suggestion is to check out the Broadband for All effort in NY State - https://www.ny.gov/programs/broadband-all Maybe call and see if funding can go toward infrastructure in low income housing? 
    Finally, here is a great story about a NYC effort to get ubiquitous wifi into Queensbridge Housing (they won an award for it from my org) - http://nextcenturycities.org/wp-content/uploads/Queensbridge-Connected-One-Pager-.pdf 
    I wish I could be more helpful. It is wonderful that you are such a good advocate and it is heartening that you have gotten the conversation started. It can take time to convince folks of the incredible value broadband brings to all - especially if it involves a change in the budget! Every step brings you closer to your goal.
    Best,
    Deb

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 25.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Jun 29, 2017 07:09
    Wow thanks for the references and links. This is super helpful. I know we are proactive regarding internet access in our new builds and historic preservation work. Just gotta figure out the financing piece. Connectivity is a way of life now and the Path out of Poverty.

Tara Collins
    RUPCO, Inc.
    Kingston, NY

Tech Accelerate

• 26.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Oct 11, 2017 11:36
    Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well! I am Atif Hamedi originally from Afghanistan, I have been here in Austin 3 years and 7 months.

I am joining digital literacy community to learn from your experiences and apply them in fruitful way that our residents training so they  can achieve digital independence.

If I had super power I would help "Needy people" around the world.

If you live in this era, you can not ignore digital inclusion!

[Atif] [Hamedi]
    [Digital Inclusion Fellow]
    [Housing Authority City of Austin, TX
    [atifh@hacanet.org]
    512-767-7790 Ext. 2110

Tech Accelerate

• 27.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Oct 11, 2017 13:37
    Hello Atif,

Welcome! Great to have you here and as a Digital Inclusion Fellow. I hope you will post some of your news in this group so we can all learn more about your work in Austin.

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 28.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Oct 11, 2017 17:34
    Atif, welcome!

We are so happy to have you here.  I'm glad that your superpower is real; I know that with your work you will be helping lots of individuals around the world.

Please share any updates from you work, and feel free to post here to ask questions and get advice from this fantastic community.

Best,
    Leana Mayzlina
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

Direct: 503.272.8743

Get the latest nonprofit news, case studies and best practices. Explore and subscribe to the NTEN Connect blog.

Tech Accelerate

• 29.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Oct 11, 2017 19:06
    Greetings Everyone,

Resuming Civic digital contribution has been a lingering curiosity. Since first learning its possibility hands-on several years back as a company-sponsored volunteer member of the Association of Banyan Users International convention show team.   Equipment and human resource used to create, deploy and grant network access to the 3,500 user membership that attended ABUI conventions twice a year, were systems donated from the Banyan user community and industry. The knowledge gained from this exposure inspired my private-sector network systems integration career. I am new NTEN and joining the community group to contribute what I can when I can.

• Where you're from/where you are currently? I am from Boston. Currently, reside outside Southeast Portland.
    • What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group? Digital Inclusion best practices and methodology for enabling digital literacy is the gap I am hoping to learn about and contribute closing.
    • If you could have any superpower, what would it be?  Integrity. Ability to level the technology playing field. By provisioning infrastructure based on inclusion: not driven by merit. Resulting symbiotic growth that digitally empowers a community, inspiring it to innovate.
    • If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be? That DI globally enables everyone connected to move one step forward together. 

Michael Wright
    Clackamas, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 30.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

Posted Oct 23, 2017 17:53
    Welcome, @Michael Wright! :waving from downtown Portland:

Bethany Lister
    Community Engagement Manager
    bethany@nten.org

Tech Accelerate

• 31.  RE: Welcome to the Digital Inclusion group!

STAFF
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 19:09
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Tristan Penn and I am the new Community Engagement Manager with NTEN. I'm very excited to be working with you all and supporting and learning from the community members of NTEN. You can find out a little more about me here.

• Where you're from/where you are currently? I am originally from Kansas (Tornados and Wheat!)  and moved to the Pacific Northwest in 2013.
    • What are you hoping to learn and how do you hope to use this group? I hope to learn about what digital deficiencies are prevalent in each of your individual communities and with those lessons, help advocate for the appropriate resources and supports to best support your communities to close the digital inclusion gap where you live.
    • If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Teleportation
    • If you wanted everyone to know ONE thing about digital inclusion, what would that one thing be? Digital inclusion is a human right!
    Looking forward to working with everyone and supporting them in any way possible!

Tristan!

Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg

Tech Accelerate