Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Digital Inclusion Spreading All Over Atlanta

• 1.  Digital Inclusion Spreading All Over Atlanta

Posted Mar 10, 2019 18:25
    Hello and Welcome to the New Digital Inclusion Fellows,
    I hope your projects are off to a great start.  I was where you are as a Cohort 3 Digital Inclusion Fellow 2017-2018.  I think we were the smallest cohort of all only five of us.  My project was serving with Metro Atlanta churches and through those churches I built partnerships with local organizations to provide Digital Inclusion training.  One of those organizations was Atlanta Public Schools, I was asked to come on board after my fellowship ended a little over a year ago.

It is exciting to see how far and wide the seeds of all of our combined efforts will grow.  Here is a blog of how Atlanta Public Schools is continuing to build programs to help close that Digital Divide for the students.
    https://talkupaps.wordpress.com/2019/02/11/aps-digital-bridge-program-provides-laptops-and-hotspots-to-6000-middle-school-students/

The thing about your Digital Inclusion project is that you will see some of the efforts of your work even after your term is up and it will be exciting to know that you helped more than you ever imagined.  Take advantage of the opportunity to learn as many new tech tools as you can to help your project and later when your term ends you will have a new skill set that will reward you for all you have done for the community.

I had no social media skills when I started the Fellowship.  Didn't even have a single active account but what I learned in the Fellowship helped prepare me to become the Social Media Manager for our Adult Education Center.  (APSAdultEd, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram). I'm still learning so if you have any tips please share.

I also took away Digital Storytelling and video editing after learning how to design videos to create an end of year project video.  Give your best to help the community and it will come back to you.

All the best,

------------------------------
    Necole Durham
    Atlanta Public Schools
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Digital Inclusion Spreading All Over Atlanta

Posted Mar 11, 2019 11:39
    Edited by Emily Weinberg Mar 11, 2019 17:26
    Thanks for sharing this! It's interesting to learn that digital storytelling was one of your takeaways - this is a topic of interest in nonprofit technology.

I think this applies to any digital inclusion project - you continue to see the efforts of your work (or others) years after the project is completed.

I wanted to remind you and everyone else that this community is for anyone in the NTEN community who is interested in digital inclusion. This community is not just for fellows (past or present).

Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community

Tech Accelerate