Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

What does digital equity mean to you?

• 1.  What does digital equity mean to you?

Posted May 07, 2018 12:04
    It's Digital Inclusion week!  What does digital equity mean to you?

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: What does digital equity mean to you?

Posted May 08, 2018 10:26
    I think digital equity involves both consistent access and meaningful usage. I fear that without both components, learners of technology will be at a disadvantage.

For example, I recently told that 40% of students in a major northeast city did not have access to computers outside of school hours. Without consistent access, students can't develop and home their digital literacy skills. The limited digital literacy skills present less opportunities to participate in S.T.E.A.M. learning and professional opportunities. I fear that they will just be digital content consumers as opposed to creators/ consumers of tech.

Cassandra Arnold
    Jersey City, NJ

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: What does digital equity mean to you?

Posted May 09, 2018 14:46
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Can you explain what you mean about digital content consumers, creators/consumers of tech, and meaningful usage?
    Tech Accelerate