Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 29 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

What scares you about people falling behind?

• 1.  What scares you about people falling behind?

Posted Oct 27, 2017 15:41
    People are falling behind without having internet/broadband access and digital literacy skills. What scares you about this?

I'll start by sharing this carved pumpkin graphic below.

9RkU4BKhSMajMjCE1cmk_nowifi.PNG

While finding a graphic to share, I saw lots of scary images like this for Halloween. People think it's scary to be without wifi and that seems to be a theme for scary technology. But that really isn't too scary. It can be scary if you go to a rural area and it is almost like you are in the dark without having internet access. It's scarier to think that there are people who don't have internet or wifi access daily. It's their way of life and they are falling behind.

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: What scares you about people falling behind?

Posted Oct 30, 2017 10:40
    Scarier yet is that we either have few technical options to address the issue or no one with the knowledge or bright ideas exist to launch alternatives to what's available?

Mozilla and the NSF is giving away up-to $2M for design concept regarding this issue. I hope those with ideas and models to explore apply.

www.wirelesschallenge.mozilla.org

Lazone Grays, President
    IBSA, Inc.
    Topeka, KS
    www.streetsuniversity.org

• 3.  RE: What scares you about people falling behind?

Posted Oct 30, 2017 16:23
    This is scarier!

• 4.  RE: What scares you about people falling behind?

Posted Feb 06, 2018 12:58
    Sorry to be so late to answer this; apparently I am not getting daily digests for this community. But this is a good question, and much on my mind lately.

What scares me is this: that disparity (income, educational, health, so many other variations) cannot be addressed without addressing digital access, and that many of those who provide social services lack a digital access plan, because they don't understand the impact of lack of access.

Noreen Long
    Child Inc
    Austin, TX