Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 28 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Why are you thankful for technology?

• 1.  Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 20, 2017 15:36
    Edited by Emily Weinberg Nov 20, 2017 15:36
    Learning about people who don't have access to computers/broadband or have digital literacy skills, has made me realize how thankful I am to have these. I am sure some of you feel the same way.

I'm thankful for technology because...

• without Internet access, I would not have been able to apply for jobs
    • using social media and e-mail allows me to keep in touch with family and friends

Your turn to complete the phrase "I'm thankful for technology because..."

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 21, 2017 10:01

I'm thankful for technology because it makes my life easier, expands my creativity, and keeps me organized (most days).

Tara Collins

Director of Communications & Resource Development

RUPCO, Inc. | 289 Fair Street | Kingston, NY 12401

845 331-2140 ext. 276 office | 845 331-6217 fax | (607) 643-5148 cell

Made-in-Kingston-date-time.fw

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual whom it is addressed.  Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email, delete and destroy original message.

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 21, 2017 14:33
    I didn't even think about creativity! That's a good one. Having tech help you keep organized is good too!

Thanks for sharing!
    Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 21, 2017 15:22
    I really appreciated that technology connects us with other people. For example, I love that I can be so connected to friends and family who live far away.

Drew Pizzolato
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 21, 2017 17:17
    That seems to be a reason why we are all thankful for technology!

In addition to connecting with people we already know, we connect with new people.

Great responses so far.  What else can be added to this list?
    Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 22, 2017 15:33
    There are just so many ways that technology facilitates our lives now that it's hard to call one out! It's part of everything we do.

What I'd really be thankful for is elected officials who would craft policy that makes technology accessible, affordable and in the service of public interest! There are so may development happening rapidly and we really don't have a good vision articulated for keeping everyone safe & increasing equity.

If you haven't already, today is a great to day to tell your federal representatives to fight to preserve Lifeline Broadband Provider designation as well as Net Neutrality.

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 29, 2017 17:43
    Yes, it is hard to pick one or a few.

This question/discussion was to think about digital inclusion and digital literacy in a new way. I took a different approach to see if anything stands out in our technology use and think about what we are able to do everyday that others may not be able to.

I know I would not have thought of using technology to be creative and to keep organized. These would be great topics for digital literacy trainings.

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Why are you thankful for technology?

Posted Nov 29, 2017 18:56
    I love that idea! "Getting Organized" could be an awesome training about using calendars, reminders, Gdocs, etc. Very cool.

Another thing I love is accessing the music I want almost anywhere. Maybe entertainment would be another good training.

Drew Pizzolato
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate