Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Without a Net: The Digital Divide in America

• 1.  Without a Net: The Digital Divide in America

Posted Oct 04, 2017 17:29
    Did anyone see this documentary? You can learn more about it and watch the full film at http://www.digitaldivide.com.

I saw it and even though this was about schools, I thought some of the information can apply to adults. If you think about it, one day these students might not know how to use a computer when they get older.

Here are some facts that I thought were interesting:

• Students without technology have a different life and different goals.
    • A student worked on a writing assignment on a phone. It took 1 hour instead of 45 minutes.
    • A student in PA was graduating high school without having experience using a computer. She wanted to learn computer skills since colleges will want students to use technology.
    • Students in underserved areas know what they are missing out on.

After watching this, there were two topics/questions I was curious to learn more about-

1) How can high school students and recent graduates who have never used a computer before be more prepared for using computers in college?  Are there digital literacy classes for college students?

2) Do adults know what they are missing out on by not having the technology skills or internet access?

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of Digital Inclusion Online Community
    ------------------------------
    Tech Accelerate