Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Searching for a Adult Resource & Lending Library Blend

• 1.  Searching for a Adult Resource & Lending Library Blend

Posted Mar 26, 2018 15:13
    Greetings!
    I have been charged with leading a team to create a Adult Resource Hub for the least connected corridor of Charlotte, NC, we are looking at blending a Lending Library with technology (that includes digital inclusion practices) with workforce development and resources to get parents on their feet (housing, food, shelters, etc.). I am looking for successful examples of this blended approach (perhaps a library that offers connectivity/technology check outs and has resources, such as workforce training or a food pantry), I would like to start visiting resource/tech hubs throughout the nation this spring. Please let me know if you have any of this happening or you know of something similar that has been successful is some aspect!

Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Lindsey Sipe
    Project LIFT
    Charlotte, NC
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Searching for a Adult Resource & Lending Library Blend

Posted Mar 27, 2018 15:14
    I am a little confused about what it is you are looking for. Can you explain it in more detail? Do you know of a library that does this already?

I know there are lots of libraries that have workforce development resources. I am not sure there are many that have resources for the other things you mentioned. It sounds like an interesting idea though.

Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Searching for a Adult Resource & Lending Library Blend

Posted Mar 28, 2018 15:54
    Hi Lindsey,

I have something that might be what you're looking for. The Koch-Young Resource Center is equal parts a library and collection of resources, specifically for people with developmental disabilities and their families. They host classes, have a help line, and do a ton of great work, in addition to having an incredible amount of information available to those who need it. Might be a bit different from what you're looking to do specifically, but worth a look in case it's what you want to model!

Koch-Young Resource Center Overview | Lanterman.org
    Lanterman remove preview
    Koch-Young Resource Center Overview | Lanterman.org
    The history chronicles more than five decades of the regional centers' journey - of learning from experience, gaining new knowledge, taking steps forward, and constantly facing new challenges. Print copies are available at the Koch-Young Resource Center but you can also download a PDF from the link below.
    View this on Lanterman >

Aaron Bicart
    Development Associate
    Learning Rights Law Center
    Los Angeles

Tech Accelerate