Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 28 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

App-to-Speed Learning Circles

• 1.  App-to-Speed Learning Circles

Posted Sep 21, 2018 13:44
    Hi everyone,

Have you heard of Learning Circles? They are informal, coordinated study groups that offer people interested in a particular topic a learning community. Digital Inclusion Fellowship alumni @Wendy Pearson brought the model to Kansas City Public Library as a way to support learners in building digital literacy skills. Learning Circles have also been used to support GED study, as well as basic literacy skills.

David Rosen recently published a blog about App-to-Speed learning circles. These programs are specifically designed to support adult learnings in using apps to reach learning goals. The blog centers the apps that have been developed in response to the Adult Literacy Xprize, but could conceivable be applied to other educational apps, too.

I know that current Fellow, @Joanne Telser-Frere is supporting adult learning in using literacy apps. Joanne, I'd love to hear about your strategy for getting learners up to "app speed" so that they could use their smart phones as effective learning tools. Anyone else out there supporting learners to use educational apps?

Here's the article that inspired this post: https://davidjrosen.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/app-to-speed-learning-circles-in-public-libraries/. Please share it with colleagues who may be interested!

Happy Friday!
    Drew

------------------------------
    Drew Pizzolato (pronouns: he/him)
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
    NTEN
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: App-to-Speed Learning Circles

Posted Sep 24, 2018 10:51
    Message From: Joanne Telser-Frere 

Hello
    We have just started  piloting the Learning Upgrade with our adult literacy students. I have instructed them on how to download an app and then sign in. For some of them it has been a new learning experience, even though they play games on their phones. I have given each person one on one help on finding the app store , downloading the app, and then finding it on their phones.
    Once they are signed in they can start working on reading and math skills through this app. The idea behind this app is to get them "addicted" to learning (like Candy Crush)

As this is new it is a challenge for some of the students, however those that have started using it are doing very well.

As teacher I can follow them on line and see what areas they are having difficulties with.

There is still piloting availability here:Learning Upgrade Pilot Request 

Joanne Telser-Frere
    Literacy Chicago
    Program Manager
    312-870-1100
    jtelserfrere@literacychicago.org

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: App-to-Speed Learning Circles

Posted Sep 24, 2018 21:34

Do we have anything like this  for Digital Literacy?  I would love to participate in such a pilot.

Collette Carr  | Skid Row Housing Trust
    AmeriCorps VISTA
    e. collette.carr@skidrow.org
    t. 213-683-0522 x197
    a. 1317 E 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021
    skidrow.org
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Join our mailing list.
    Skid Row Housing Trust
    v04192016

Tech Accelerate