Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 28 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Are you interested in rural broadband issues?

• 1.  Are you interested in rural broadband issues?

Posted Feb 08, 2018 11:43
    Hi folks!

I have a friend here in the Bay Area who's currently between jobs and who is using the time to learn more about rural broadband issues and rural Internet access. That's not my area of expertise (though I'm certainly interested in it and concerned about digital inclusion), but I know there are lots of NTEN folks who work on this issue.

If you're one of those people and would be willing to let me introduce you to my friend for purposes of discussion of the topic, please let me know -- I'd love to hear from you!

Many thanks,
    Genie

------------------------------
    Genie Gratto
    Senior Director, Marketing Communications & PR
    AnitaB.org
    Oakland, CA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Are you interested in rural broadband issues?

Posted Feb 09, 2018 20:26
    Hi Genie!

I used to work with the State of Nevada on their Broadband Initiatives Plan as part of an effort to increase connectivity to rural and underserved communities. The current plan and objectives are on the Connect Nevada site, and are part of the larger Connect Nation initiative:

Connect Nevada - Increasing Broadband Access and Use
    Connected Nation

I am free to chat, if necessary -- just send me an email.

Lawrence Beasley
    Principal Systems Engineer
    Wolverine Technologies
    North Las Vegas, NV
    702-727-5734
    Co-Organizer
    Tech4Good-LasVegas

• 3.  RE: Are you interested in rural broadband issues?

Posted Feb 10, 2018 02:10
    Thanks so much, Lawrence! That's fantastic. I'll pass along that info and then connect you and my friend if he has additional questions. I appreciate your willingness to be in touch!

Best,
    Genie

Genie Gratto
    Senior Director, Marketing Communications & PR
    AnitaB.org
    Oakland, CA

• 4.  RE: Are you interested in rural broadband issues?

Posted Feb 11, 2018 09:00
    I am happy to connect with you to discuss rural broadband issues. I run a nonprofit that focuses on ensuring all have fast, affordable, and reliable access.

We work with local elected officials in cities, towns, and counties - urban, suburban, and rural. Recently I wrote an op Ed outlining the steps that the President, Congress, and the FCC could take if they really want to get rural communities connected.

If you would like to connect, feel free to contact me: deb@nextcenturycities.org.

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington