Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 29 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

From Availability to Accessibility: Why the Detroit Public Library Began Partnering with Coin Laundromats

• 1.  From Availability to Accessibility: Why the Detroit Public Library Began Partnering with Coin Laundromats

Posted Jun 20, 2018 16:09
    Interesting article at https://www.benton.org/blog/availability-accessibility-why-detroit-public-library-began-partnering-coin-laundromats

3 main points from this article:

1) Having computers and the internet available doesn't mean people know how to use them

2) Three barriers for digital inclusion - skills, scheduling, and psychosocial

3) The library in Detroit partnered with laundromats to create the Wash & Learn Initiative (WALI). The laundromats have laptop computers, wifi, and digital literacy workshops.

What are your thoughts about having computers and digital literacy trainings in laundromats?

Have you noticed any of these barriers in your digital literacy classes?

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: From Availability to Accessibility: Why the Detroit Public Library Began Partnering with Coin Laundromats

Posted Jun 21, 2018 09:03
    ​I really enjoyed reading this article!

What are your thoughts about having computers and digital literacy trainings in Laundromats?

I love it! It's a smart solution to the last 2 barriers they discussed (Scheduling Barriers & Psychosocial Barriers). The Laundromat is a place where everyone HAS to go if they do not have a washer or dryer at home, or for a variety of other reasons.
    In graduate school I went to a local Laundromat often. And one day I went and all of a sudden they had free Wi-Fi available to patrons. I was very excited about this because it made the time go by faster and I could get some of my school work done there. They also had TVs available, which most of the patron kids would sit in watch if they weren't running around. I think the computers and digital literacy trainings are very smart solutions for individuals and families who have a hard time in seeing the relevancy and/or finding the time.

Have you noticed any of these barriers in your digital literacy classes?

There is always 1 - 3 people who sign up for training and state that they may not be available at the time of the training (mostly due to doctor appointments or work). We tell them to do the best they can and if they can't make them all they can make up days in the next on-site training. If there is not another on-site training. We refer them to one of our local partners nearby who have digital literacy trainings. I like how the article talks about how the training in Laundromats makes the "time-investment to learn new skills feels less risky". I really like the simple way they put that. Digital Literacy training can be the last thing on someone's list especially those who have a lot going on.

Bianca Rozenblad
    Digital Inclusion Coordinator
    rozenbladb@cmha.net
    Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline