Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 29 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

• 1.  Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 10, 2018 11:43
    January is the month of the #Mobile Only Challenge. @Deb Socia posted information about this in the January Events thread in the General Discussion and more information is at Mobile Only Challenge.

The challenge is to go a day where you only use your cell phone to access the internet and not be connected to wifi.

Has anyone participated in this yet or have done this in the past? Share your experiences or thoughts with the group about the challenges of only using mobile for internet access. ​

------------------------------
    Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 10, 2018 14:03
    I participated in the #mobileonly challenge on the first day. Admittedly, I was taking it a little easy on myself since this wasn't a business day. Nevertheless, I was doing work email and coordinating travel for some friends and family. It would have been waaay easier and more efficient with a full keyboard and screen. Even better, two screens!​ I am so hooked on my work setup of two screens that even using a laptop feels restrictive now. Using just the mobile was frustrating and there were a couple search tasks and forms to fill out that I didn't even bother. Which I know is a luxury, I could put it off for a day and do it on a laptop.

The thought of doing a job search and application via a mobile device such as an smart phone is really daunting. Anyone who has pulled that off has serious determination. Imagine what they could do with a laptop!

Thank you @Deb Socia & Next Century Cities for this great awareness raising campaign. I really encourage anyone on this board to participate and help bring visibility to the limitations of #mobileonly connectivity. Here's a link to the campaign page: http://nextcenturycities.org/mobile-only-challenge/​​

Drew Pizzolato
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

• 3.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 10, 2018 16:10
    I appreciate the support of the NTEN community. We need to tell the FCC that mobile service on a smartphone is not the same as a home internet connection.

I will be #MobileOnly tomorrow - and dealing with the fact that I have already reached my data cap and will be throttled. The thought of doing so is actually causing me stress. I know I will be reminded of how very lucky I am to have the abundance of resources that are available to me. It is hard to imagine that 12+% of Americans are #MobileOnly every day, usually because their community has no other option or because they can't afford both cell and home access.

Please follow as I try to tweet my #MobileOnly experiences as I go through my day. And please do sign up to participate here: Mobile Only Challenge
    Nextcenturycities remove preview
    Mobile Only Challenge
    The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is trying to lower the country's broadband standards, making it harder for Americans to get access to high-quality internet. The FCC is expected to vote in February 2018 to lower the standards of high-speed broadband service so that mobile service on someone's smartphone is seen as the same as a home connection.
    View this on Nextcenturycities >

​​​

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington

• 4.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 18, 2018 11:57
    I don't use a computer as much as I used to since I got a smartphone a few years ago. I mainly only use a computer at work. I have a desktop computer but I use my phone for most of the things I need/want to do outside of work. (mainly games/apps and sometimes looking at websites)

Yes, I agree about filling out forms on mobile. That and navigation menus are impossible to do on mobile. I keep touching the wrong things and sometimes I give up and wait until I feel like getting on a computer.

I can't imagine either having to do job applications (or any other type of form/application) on a phone. I think looking for jobs to apply for can be done on mobile, but the actual applying would be the hard part.

Writing longer e-mails and posts to this community are hard to do on a phone. As a blogger, I haven't been able to keep my blogs updated as much as I would like to since it's easier to use a computer for that. It's hard to write a post on a phone.

My first few months with my phone, I did not have wifi, so using apps drained battery down quickly. Even with having wifi, I have problems getting connected to the internet and even that drains my battery. I can't imagine to always have a problem with finding a way to connect to the internet.

Most of the time I don't mind when I get to low battery and have to charge my phone because I do need a break. But if people were to rely on just the phone to have internet access, especially without getting a good connection, the battery level will be low. It could take at least an hour for it to be fully charged to go back to doing whatever was being done. Charging it could be multiple times a day which would be a few hours spent waiting for the phone to charge to use. Even though people would have access, they would still not be able to use the internet whenever they wanted to because of the low battery issue.

• 5.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 19, 2018 11:30
    I just learned some good news! The rules are not being changed! They have announced that mobile is not a subsitute for broadband.

More information at https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-pai-statement-draft-2018-broadband-deployment-report and https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/313122/lawmakers-blast-fccs-mobile-broadband-proposal.html

• 6.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 19, 2018 14:56
    Thank you for sharing this update, it's great news!

And thank you to @Deb Socia, Next Century Cities, and everyone else that actively worked to make this happen.  Great to see that all of the organizing paid off this time around!​​

Leana Mayzlina
    Senior Digital Inclusion Manager
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    Portland, OR

• 7.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 19, 2018 15:00
    It's true! We still have lots to do, but we have actually had an impact. :)

Here is our press release on the topic: Next Century Cities Announces #MobileOnly Challenge - Sign on Today!

We are still hoping folks will sign up for the #MobileOnly Challenge - www.mobleonlychallenge.com - and tell the FCC we need to connect the unconnected.

Thanks for all you have done so far and let's continue to work together until we achieve digital equity!

Best,
    Deb

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington

• 8.  RE: Challenges of Only Using Mobile for Internet Access

Posted Jan 20, 2018 06:52
    So sorry, I just realized I sent an old #MobileOnly Challenge link. Here is one that works: | Next Century Cities | Broadband Internet & Infrastructure
    Nextcenturycities remove preview
    | Next Century Cities | Broadband Internet & Infrastructure
    Find a PDF of this release here. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Deb Socia, Next Century Cities deb@nextcenturycities.org; (617) 251-8358 After Public Pressure with #MobileOnly Challenge, FCC to Maintain High-Quality Broadband Standards Next Century Cities Commends FCC Shift, Will Continue #MobileOnly Challenge to Draw Attention to 24 Million Americans Still Without Fixed Broadband Access ...
    View this on Nextcenturycities >

Thanks!
    Deb

Deb Socia
    Executive Director
    Next Century Cities
    Washington