Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Outdoor computer lab

• 1.  Outdoor computer lab

Posted Aug 02, 2018 18:21
    Did anyone else hear the story on NPR this morning about Atlanta Public Library?  Sounds like they are undergoing a major renovation, and one of the librarians decided to create a mobile temporary computer lab in a nearby park.  It seems like such a simple but novel idea, so I'm curious if others in the group have tried anything similar?  And @Heather Salters...maybe you can go check it out and tell us if it's just as fantastic as it sounds.

Here's the full story.

------------------------------
    Leana Mayzlina
    Senior Digital Inclusion Manager
    NTEN
    Portland, OR
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Outdoor computer lab

Posted Aug 03, 2018 02:18
    Hey Leana,
    Yes it is a great effort for the community. There are some things that make it easy to implement. AFPL has a set of laptops that can be checked out by different branches. This was one option for Aneta to have her computer classes at the library during our Fellowship term. Most and maybe all of the City of Atlanta parks have wifi. The community really needs that access to the computers so it's really a very compassionate and helpful decision. Members of the AFPL have attended Digital Inclusion events such as the panel discussion Nicole conducted and the Tech Fair I conducted. So they are in the Digital Inclusion conversation.

Another win is that TCSG who oversees the state of Georgia's Adult Education programs has Digital Literacy as a component of the new FY19 grant requiring adult education providers to incorporate it in some form for Adult Education programs throughout the state as a form of job skills preparation.

Necole

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Outdoor computer lab

Posted Aug 03, 2018 10:53
    ​Hi Leana,

I love this! So many people depend on their library I'm sure. It's great that they thought outside of the box and made sure they were able to serve while renovations take place.

We had a tablet/hotspot survey raffle at one of our Splash Park Grand Openings this summer. I hoped to have the kids play Kahoot! while their parents completed the surveys and entered the raffle. It happened to be very sunny and hot this day, which was great for the opening but not for our devices (tablets and smartphones).

I think having a mobile lab outside is great as long as you are under a tent or sort of covering and you can just keep the devices cool. I did not want to bring our devices out that day because I worried they would overheat.

-Bianca

Bianca Rozenblad
    Digital Inclusion Coordinator
    rozenbladb@cmha.net
    Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Outdoor computer lab

Posted Aug 06, 2018 13:13
    Necole - thanks for the extra context.  And I had no idea all Atlanta parks had free wifi, that's great!  Do you often see folks bringing their own devices to the park for either entertainment or even doing homework?

Bianca - this is a great point.  I had thought about what might happen on rainy days (more common in Portland), but hadn't taken into consideration really hot days.  I'm sure there's also the issue of more dirt, sand, leaves, etc that could affect the computer.
    Leana Mayzlina
    Senior Digital Inclusion Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

Direct: 503.272.8743

Share your experience at the 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference. Session proposals close August 17. 

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Outdoor computer lab

Posted Aug 09, 2018 10:27
    Thanks for sharing this article.

Since people go to libraries to have computer/internet access, libraries are finding ways to have computers available when they are doing renovations.

I am not sure how many libraries have computers outside during renovations, but they might have a mobile computer lab or have them available somewhere else.

Another library in GA (different area) is having renovations for 6 months and there will be public computers available at a Boys & Girls Club location. Information about that is at http://moglibraries.org/update-on-the-brunswick-library-renovation-project/

It's interesting to find out where libraries are having public computers available while they are closed.

Emily Weinberg
    Organizer of NTEN's Digital Inclusion Online Community

Tech Accelerate