Digital Inclusion

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Help close the digital divide! Join us in supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. This Digital Inclusion group is focused on supporting digital inclusion initiatives, sharing best practices, and showcasing digital inclusion programs. It is designed to build community around digital inclusion and connect actors committed to helping close the digital divide.

Teaching on Ubuntu Devices?

• 1.  Teaching on Ubuntu Devices?

Posted May 14, 2018 16:07
    Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to receive a couple dozen free machines for our Digital Literacy classes -- the thing is they will all be running Ubuntu. I was wondering if any of you had any success and/or horror stories about or related to running this OS.

I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should anticipate, especially given the populations we all work with. Any unexpected limitations -- or given that nearly everything now is browser-based, not running  Windows or macOS doesn't really matter...

Our clients run small businesses, if that matters.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

------------------------------
    Andrew Farrelly
    Communications and Marketing Coordinator
    Rising Tide Capital
    Jersey City, NJ
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Teaching on Ubuntu Devices?

Posted May 17, 2018 18:41
    Andrew,

I know you've connected with some other practitioners who've had advice for you. I've heard of this issue come up several times and what I've heard is that the freeware pretty closely mirrors the types of programs we typically expect people entering the workforce to be familiar with. Also, that it's most important to learn to be versatile and learn adaptable problem solving skills. Once you've deployed the devices, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
    NTEN
    Portland, OR
    calendly.com/ntendrew

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Teaching on Ubuntu Devices?

Posted May 22, 2018 12:24

Hey Drew – Yes, I agree! My main concern was that it was too close, yet different enough where people may get confused as a result. We have to work with what we've got, I suppose!

I'll definitely update with any learnings!

ANDREW FARRELLY

Communications and Marketing Coordinator

A: 384 Martin Luther King Drive, Jersey City, NJ 07305

P: 201-432-4316 x 110 

E: andrew.farrelly@RisingTideCapital.org

W: RisingTideCapital.org

image003.png@01D39F61.91F60560

image018.png@01D39F61.91F60560 image007.png@01D39F61.91F60560 image015.png@01D39F61.91F60560 image016.png@01D39F61.91F60560 image017.png@01D39F61.91F60560 

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Teaching on Ubuntu Devices?

Posted May 23, 2018 14:29
    It's been a few years since my last Linux deep-dive. At that time the biggest barriers were document formats (things like setting Open/Libre Office default "save as latest Microsoft document extension", MP3/4 codec licensing issues) and device drivers (especially printers and wireless network cards).

As you note the browser-ification of apps makes this less of an issue with the passage of time.

Winston Berger
    IT & Data Systems Manager
    A Better Way, Inc.
    Berkeley, CA

Tech Accelerate