2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference NTC

last person joined: an hour ago 

This is the community forum for 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference (#19NTC) registrants. Use this group ask and answer questions, talk about the sessions that you're presenting or that you're excited to attend, and find other attendees to connect with before or during the conference.

Community Foundations

• 1.  Community Foundations

Posted 25 days ago
    Good morning all,

As the conference is less than two weeks away I'm in the midst of taking some time aside to plan out where I'll be and what I'm doing as well as trying to arrange some informal sit-down time with folks who have similar jobs.

I'm wondering how many of you work for or have contact with community foundations. We are an odd duck in the nonprofit world and I'd love to meet some others with similar experiences.

If there are any of us other than myself let's plan on a brief meetup to get to know each other and share common issues and solutions?

I can't wait to meet everyone and experience Portland for the first time!

------------------------------
    Michael Clinton
    Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
    Sheffield, MA

• 2.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi there! I work at The Pittsburgh Foundation and agree that community foundations have unique needs and requirements when it comes to tech and systems. I sit in the communications department, but have several tech-heavy responsibilities like the donor portal, financial donor communications (fund statements) as well as our external facing web and email integrations. I would love to talk about systems/solutions/tools. Maybe a lunch meeting?

Kristin

Kristin Raup
    Donor Communications Manager
    The Pittsburgh Foundation
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 3.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Aki Shibuya 24 days ago
    *waves* I'd love to join this conversation! My organization operates a bit more like a giving circle, but we have a lot more in common with community foundations than with private foundations. And as the person in charge of the membership, operations, and communications, I'd love to talk tech and systems and compare notes. Lunch would be great on Wednesday or Friday, as I'll be in charge of the Attendees of Color Birds of a Feather table on Thursday :)

Aki Shibuya
    Operations and Membership Manager
    Washington Women's Foundation
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 20 days ago
    Hello to both of you! Two is two more than I expected!

Meeting up sounds like a great idea.  We are about to tackle a major accounting software search/possibly replace mission and I'm reaching out to other CF IT people and related folks for fact finding and networking. A lunch meeting sounds great if we can agree on a time, date and place. It's my first time in Portland so I'm currently doing some research into venues but even a quick meetup to touch base and exchange info would be appreciated.
    Lets try to make some time to sit down.

Any other takers?

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA

• 5.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 20 days ago
    How about meeting up for lunch at the conference so we don't have to rush at a restaurant? Wednesday works for me, but could also meet Thursday.

Kristin

Kristin Raup
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 6.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 20 days ago
    Agreed. Thursday will probably look best for me considering what's on my plate for Wednesday. I'm sure I'll be experiencing a bit of hyper-stimulation the first full day. It will also allow us all to get the lay of the land and a better spot to convene.

If Thursday ends up being bad though, especially if more chime in, I'm flexible.

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA

• 7.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 20 days ago
    I'll be manning the Attendees of Color lunch table on Thursday so that day wouldn't work for me to meet up during lunch. I could do Wednesday or Friday (latter probably more preferable).

Aki Shibuya
    Seattle, WA

• 8.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 19 days ago
    Then Wednesday it is!

We can work out the details over the next few days.

Thanks,

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA

• 9.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 17 days ago
    Welcome! I serve on the Leadership Council for the Oregon Community Foundation with headquarters in Portland. I'll connect with them to see if they have staff attending NTC - or, if you would like to meet with them outside of the conference (if there's time given all the activities planned around the event!), I can make an introduction!

Justin Yuen
    CEO
    FMYI [for my innovation]
    Portland, OR

• 10.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 17 days ago
    Thanks for pulling this together!

I'd also love to join and meet with ya'll for lunch on Wednesday. How will we find each other?  I'm in charge of the database and operations for our community foundation that is also heavily in the nonprofit world. Looking forward to connecting with folks who understand the different components of our work. :)

-Brie

Brie Richards
    Office and Database Administrator
    Women's Foundation of Oregon
    Portland, OR

• 11.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 17 days ago
    I'm planning to register on Tuesday, so I'll be on the lookout for a good meet up spot for us on Wednesday. Check this thread on Tuesday night or Wednesday?

Kristin Raup
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 12.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Michael Clinton 17 days ago
    Brie,

We definitely have to talk!

We are currently using FIMS for all our database needs including accounting and CRM and are looking at other options as it reaches end of life.

Aki probably has a better line on this, but I'm wondering if we could set up a BoaF table as well. There seem to be enough of us to do so. I'll reach out to Tristan and see what that process looks like.

I'm very happy there have been so many respondents. I look forward to meeting you all!

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA

• 13.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 17 days ago
    All,

I've put in a suggestion for a BoaF table for each day of the conference. It may be a bit late for this as we are looking at 7 days away but I thought it worth a try.

I'd be willing to host Friday if it does come to pass, is anyone else interested in hosting the other days?

Again, this would be pending approval by NTEN.

Thanks,

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA

• 14.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi all,

For BoaF tables (if it were like last year), there are some materials to make a makeshift table on the spot (I did one for POCs last year one lunch session). It just won't be projected onto the big screen, so one has to scan the area for it. But there's often a lot of space at lunch so this would be something easy to do (if a Community Foundations BoaF table isn't formalized within the next few days). Whoever's there first can create the sign and post it up on the table tent.

I have a friend who is also attending NTC that works at a community foundation and he's interested in joining for our discussion as well. We look forward to meeting y'all on Wednesday! :)

Aki Shibuya
    Seattle, WA

• 15.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi all! I'm with the Delaware Community Foundation and will plan to look for the BoaF table tomorrow!

Rebecca Klug
    Delaware Community Foundation
    Wilmington, DE

• 16.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 6 days ago
    All,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the last lunch session, I had an early flight and had to leave before noon.

I just wanted to thank everyone who attended and who sheared their contact information with me.

As I'm gathering a comprehensive list of contacts I made at NTC I'd like to ask anyone who already hasn't done so to send me a quick email so we can remain in touch. I've found the best way to tackle tough challenges is to bounce ideas off others and if the conversation around the table was any indication, there is a lot we can learn from each other.

Again, I really appreciate the fact that so many people showed up for a lunch gathering that was only planned a handful of days in advance of the conference. Sometimes it only takes a small act for us to find each other.

I've edited my signature to add my work email address, please feel free to reach out.

Until next year,

Michael Clinton
    Sheffield, MA
    mclinton@berkshiretaconic.org

• 17.  RE: Community Foundations

Posted 4 days ago

Michael,

Although I didn't meet you last week in Portland I wanted to make sure you know you are welcome to join the Tech Decision Makers Community of Practice. We also have a monthly call on the 4th Wednesday of each month, which is next week!. We call in via Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/7288916288 and the call takes place at 4pm Eastern/3pm Central/1pm Pacific.

This month will probably be a lot about NTC, but you can look at the notes from recent meetings at https://bit.ly/npITnotes
    Hope to see you there!

Richard Wollenberger
    Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
    Parents as Teachers
    St. Louis MO