2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference NTC

🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

• 1.  🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

STAFF
    Posted Jan 08, 2019 19:17

Hi Everyone!

As I write this post, it is a Tuesday.
    However, I have the weekend on my mind. Specifically, the weekend after #19NTC. March 15-17.

After living in Portland for a little under 5 years, I've come to the conclusion that there is ALWAYS something going on. If I'm bored in Portland, It is my own fault. There is so much to do and experience here!

With that being said, I would love for everyone to consider extending their stay in Portland through the weekend after #19NTC. Why? There are a variety of events and activities in Portland that are scheduled for March 15, 16, & 17th.

Check some out!

🚗 63rd Annual Portland Roadster Show
    • What is it? - The Portland Roadster Show "has presented the artistic efforts of skilled craftsman, and the hobbyist alike.  Displaying virtual 'automotive art' crafted from the vision and passion of the automobile. All of the outstanding cars, trucks, and motorcycles in our show, are painstakingly selected from hundreds of applications each year, to provide the best show possible."
    • When? & Where? - Friday, March 15 - March 17 at the Portland Expo Center
    🛍 Portland Saturday Market 
    • What is it? - The Market is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Portland, drawing an estimated one million people and annual sales of ten million. Additionally, it is the largest continuously operating weekly open-air crafts market in the United States. Check out the Interactive Vendor Map!
    • When? & Where? - Open Every Weekend - Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Sundays 11:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - 2 SW Naito Parkway
      Portland, OR 97204
    🍀St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Run
    • What is it? -  There are SO many great St. Patrick's Day Festivities across Portland (give them all look). However, If you're looking for an invigorating run that benefits a great cause (the Doernbecher Children's Hospital Foundation) look no further! The Run offers competitive races at 5 kilometers (3.1 miles), 8 kilometers (4.97 miles), 15 kilometers (9.3 miles) and a half-marathon (13.1 miles).
    • When? & Where? - Sunday, March 17 Races start at 8am - SW Naito Parkway and Pine, adjacent to Waterfront Park
    🤹‍♂️ Cirque du Soleil
    • What is it? - "Corteo, the latest and most enchanting Cirque du Soleil's arena production is now touring in North America. The show will visitPortland at the Moda Center from March 14 to 17, 2019 for a limited run of six performances. This unique production, directed by Daniele Finzi Pasca, first premiered in Montreal under the Big Top in April 2005. Since then, the show has been a great success and has amazed 8 million people in 19 countries on four continents"
    • When? & Where? -  March 14 - 17th - 6 Showtimes - at the Moda Center in Portland
    🕺💃 Jones 80s/90 Dance Club (One of my favorites)
    • What is it? - "It's all 80s/90s, all the time!" Jones is a "journey through two incredible decades; from incredible music by local and national DJ's, loads of 80s/90s memorabilia, old school arcade games, and the largest light brite on the west coast, Jones bursts with genuine awesome-ness. Jones, a 6500 square foot club, also has a huge dance floor, friendly staff, homemade food and a killer outdoor patio"
    • When? & Where? - Thursdays 9pm-2am, Friday & Saturday: 8pm-2:30am - 107 NW Couch Street, Portland, OR 97209
    🤣 Tiffany Haddish Stand-Up
    • What is it? - Tiffany Haddish is perhaps best known for her breakout role in the smash comedy Girls Trip, where she appeared as the scene-stealing "Dina" alongside Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah, and Regina Hall. Her debut stand-up special, Tiffany Haddish: She Ready! From the Hood to Hollywood, debuted on Showtime in August 2017. In November 2017, she made history by becoming the first black female stand-up comedian to host Saturday Night Live
    • When? & Where? - Saturday, March 16, 2019, 8:00pm, Portland'5 Keller Auditorium 
    🏒 Portland Winterhawks vs. Seattle Thunderbirds
    • What is it? - Portland's Professional (WHL) Hockey Team, The Winterhawks close out the 2018/2019 regular season with a Sunday evening home game against the Seattle Thunderbirds.
    • When? & Where? - Sun, March 17, 5pm - Veteran's Memorial Coliseum 
    🗣 Savage Love Live!
    • What is it? - "A live episode of the always amazing, always educational, and only sometimes inexplicable Savage Love podcast, starring the Stranger's Dan Savage. Dan almost always has something sneaky and surprising in store for attendees of his live shows, so... attend, already. Get your love life sorted."
    • When? & Where? - Fri March 15, 8 pm - Revolution Hall

Looking forward to seeing some of you all around town the weekend after #19NTC! This is just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more that Portland has to offer during the weekend!

See you at #19NTC!
    Bitmoji Image​​

------------------------------
    Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg
    Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 2.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 09, 2019 05:32
    I'll be there the weekend before and after NTC.

Would be great to join in a couple of activities.

So +1 for Dan Savage and the market.

Jason King
    Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 3.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 09, 2019 10:47
    Thanks, Tristan! 
    This saves me so much investigating.
    Lea
    Lea Remigio
    Director of Operations
    (407) 801-4347
    Mailing Address:
    PO Box 533986
    Orlando, FL 32853
    Offices in Orlando and Newberry

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 4.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 09, 2019 13:43
    Hey All,

Am going to sign up for the run! Who's with me?

Alex Wu
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 5.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 10, 2019 10:39
    I'd love to check out the Jones 80s/90 Dance Club!! :)

Carol Astle
    NEW YORK, NY

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 6.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

STAFF
    Posted Jan 10, 2019 13:56
    Its a ton of fun! I'm a child of the 80s & 90s so everything they play gets my feet moving! doing a breakdance move called the freeze with boombox in background

Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 7.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 10, 2019 11:07
    I'm up for the run. Just trying to decide between the 15K and 21K distance.  What are you running? It's still really early on for our season and most of my runs in advance will be indoor - so probably going to stick with the 15K...

Scott Tywoniuk
    Edmonton, AB
    GREAT WHITE NORTH - EH!

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 8.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 10, 2019 16:56
    I'm doing the Half - it's been a while for me also - gives me a goal tho!

Alex Wu
    Technology Director
    Tutoring Chicago
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 9.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 10, 2019 12:04
    Thanks for all the suggestions Tristan!

I'll be staying the weekend after the conference since it'll be my first time in Portland, can't wait to explore, especially the Saturday Market! I was looking at the Atlas Obscura for other things to do in Portland but all the specific events you listed helps me narrow things down!

Hallie Watts
    Membership Associate
    Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
    San Francisco

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 10.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 11, 2019 04:47
    Edited by Ekaterina Bessonova Jan 12, 2019 11:42
    Hi there!

I am staying for the weekend too and I am interested in some nature walks and talks and good food ;-)
    So, I am more on the cosy side I guess, but would absolutely love to hang out!

/Ekaterina

Ekaterina Bessonova
    Communications Officer
    SIANI and SEI
    Stockholm
    Sweden

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 11.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 11, 2019 10:12
    All you young, healthy, outgoing, athletic people are killin' me! :-)
    I'll be making a pilgrimage to Deschutes Public House at some point. Anyone who wants to kick back and relax with a nice cold pint is welcome to join me!

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 12.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 11, 2019 10:27
    Snowboarding and running a half marathon... no thanks. Maybe a staggerthon.

Rob, see you in the pub.

Jason King
    Google Ad Grant Certified Professional
    and Google Partner
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Email: jason@kingjason.co.uk

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 13.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 12, 2019 10:43
    I'm all for nature if it's in route to good food and drinks... I'll be in Portland from March 10-17.

I was told there's a whiskey library. Please tell me this place is real! And if so, I'd gladly organize a group to go there

Danielle Faulkner
    Baltimore Corps
    Senior Development Manager
    danielle.l.faulkner@gmail.com

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 14.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 12, 2019 15:18
    @Danielle Faulkner

https://mwlpdx.com/whiskey/

You're welcome.

Jason King
    and Google Partner
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 15.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 13, 2019 17:39
    I'm a local and have been to the Multnomah Whiskey Library a few times. It's pretty fantastic. They really go all out with the decor and absurd number of whiskey options.

But I will say that there's almost always a wait and only members (yes, there are members much like a country club) are allowed to make reservations. So I recommend you plan it so that you put your name in and then allow two hours for wandering around and shopping. Fortunately, it's really close to the ACTUAL library, Pioneer Square, Powell's books, and the Deschutes Brewery that was earlier mentioned.

Michael Rasko
    Lake Oswego, OR
    https://raskodigitalmarketing.com/contact

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 16.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 14, 2019 13:17
    That there is @Danielle Faulkner and it's not hard to get to. Although the waiting to get in can be very long. I wonder if they do reservations?! Note that it is a small group place - best with 3 or 4 people I think. I'd be happy to go if there aren't out of town people clamoring to attend with you.

Kai Williams
    Executive Director
    The IWRC
    Eugene, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 17.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 14, 2019 14:07
    Another local's take: Forget about the Multnomah Whiskey Library. Holman's has an excellent whiskey selection in their Whiskey Club. Admittedly, it would take you more than a weekend to get your name on the brass plaque above the bar and the free t-shirt, but the door's almost always open, there is plenty of room and no wait, and it's a classic old-timey Portland bar (since 1933, mind you).

http://www.holmanspdx.com/whiskey-club/

Peter Korchnak
    Digital Communications Manager
    Death with Dignity National Center
    Portland, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 18.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 15, 2019 12:15
    I didn't know about Holman's whiskey collection, though I have been there at 3am after a show before.

Another good place for whiskey, though more low-brow, is the Brooklyn Park Pub, over near the intersection of Powell Blvd and Milwaukie Avenue, just across the Ross Island bridge in SE Portland.  It's basically a dive bar with a decent whiskey collection!  It does lean towards Bourbon, but there are always some good Scotch Whiskies on the list, as well as a few Irish and Canadian.  They don't even have their own website, but here's an article from the local weekly alternative newspaper, Willamette Week:

https://www.wweek.com/bars/2017/05/23/consider-brooklyn-park-pub-the-least-likely-whiskey-bar-in-town/

Chris Langford
    Director of Information Systems and Technology
    Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
    Portland, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 19.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:21
    I'm staying one extra night (departing the 16th) but I'd be all for a whiskey library trip on Friday night, @Danielle Faulkner !

Looks like you can book a reservation for up to 8 people with a $25 fee per person: https://mwlpdx.com/product/hall-pass/

And I'm not a runner but I'm down for nature, bike rides and bookstores if those are up anyone's alley :)​​

Erin Watson
    (she/her)
    Digital Media Manager
    Greater Chicago Food Depository
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 20.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 15, 2019 09:31
    I'd be down to go Friday night! I'm staying until at least Saturday and TBD if I'll extend past that. And I'm flying in Monday if anyone wants to grab dinner! I went to this amazing Russian restaurant the last time I was in Portland that I still dream about... though there's so much incredible food, I'd be down to go anywhere!

Ellen Miller
    Dallas, TX

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 21.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 16, 2019 19:59
    I'll be in PDX for a week, including the weekend after the conference. I'm not into extreme sport like marathons but I do want to get into the outdoors.

I'm probably being optimistic about how pleasant the weather will be, but I plan to hire a cycle for the week. I've found a place that has retro bikes that come with full kit (eg helmet, lock, rain gear) - see Everybody's Bike Rentals. As well as heading over to Deschutes Public House @Rob Foley, I'm also keen for a longer, casual ride (strictly no lycra involved). Sing out if you want to join me.

Market sounds good @Jason King
    ​​​​​

Stephen Blyth
    Communications Manager
    NZ Drug Foundation
    Wellington, New Zealand

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 22.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Jan 17, 2019 05:30
    @Stephen Blyth

So glad you'll be there. See you at NTC Beer.

I'm arriving the weekend before, and staying for the weekend after. Let's do the Saturday market.

Jason King
    and Google Partner
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 23.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 09, 2019 12:42
    I would be SO IN for a whiskey library. If you're organizing a group, count me in!

Kim Lombard
    Cambridge, MA

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 24.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 26, 2019 14:20
    @Danielle Faulkner @Kim Lombard @Kai Williams  ​​@Ellen Miller The Whiskey Library offers a $25 "Hall Pass" to secure a table - if y'all are down for that for Friday night the 15th, I can book a party of 5 this week and have folks Venmo/Square Cash/Apple Pay me?​​ 8pm?

Erin Watson
    (she/her)
    Digital Media Manager
    Greater Chicago Food Depository
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 25.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 26, 2019 14:24
    Count me in! Just pass along your venmo username and let me know once it's booked.

Kim Lombard
    Cambridge, MA

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 26.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 26, 2019 14:27
    I'm in too! Happy to Venmo you.

Ellen Miller
    Dallas, TX

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 27.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 26, 2019 19:29
    I'm in! Send me your Venmo and I'll send you the $25

Danielle Faulkner
    Baltimore Corps
    Baltimore, MDdanielle.l.faulkner@gmail.com

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 28.  RE: 🏔Why not stay the weekend?🍀

Posted Feb 27, 2019 11:26
    I'd be thrilled to join the whiskey library group, @Erin Watson - can I pay by square?

@Hallie Watts @Jason King @Stephen Blyth Sat market sounds good to me too!

I'd also like to make a visit to Portland's Boardgame Lounge http://pdxgameknight.com/ for a Saturday afternoon post-market wind down and early dinner. Let now if you'd like to join! Would love to geek out over board games with you.
    ​​​​

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com