2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference NTC

Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

• 1.  Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 08, 2019 19:16
    Hello All,

Starting this thread to brainstorm activities pre/post convention!

I have a specific idea for a trip to Timberline after the PreCon on the 12th. PreCon ends at 3:15, an hour to Timberline, shred till 9PM...all this of course depending on how much snow there is ^o^

Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Jessica Liu
    Digital Media Trainer
    MetroEast Community Media
    Gresham, OR
    Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 2.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 09, 2019 13:42
    This sounds awesome! I'd love to - however i haven't gone skiing.....ever...and the last time I snowboarded was AWHILE AGO. Keep me posted tho, I'm probably more coordinated than i was back then

Alex Wu
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 3.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 10, 2019 17:52
    Hi Jessica,

Thank you for starting this conversation! I'm a first-timer at #19NTC, although I am no stranger to NTEN community.

One dumb question: the agenda looks quite full right now. Will there be time to do other activities? What times do you envision for these? I can imagine that some might extend their stay over the weekend, but for those who plan to leave by Fri evening, will there be opportunities to do things other than conference related activities?

Thank you,
    Medha

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 4.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

STAFF
    Posted Jan 10, 2019 21:41
    Aside from Timberline (I commend you Jessica! Take everyone you can rally for a late afternoon on Wy'east), there are loads of downtown or on the way to or from the NTC hotels-type spots to see. Our schedule each day is a little longer this year, but there's still time to see the sites. I found this blog that lists awesome Instagramable sites around town and was surprised to see how many were either on my commute, near the convention center or in my very own neighborhood. Check it out! Even if you aren't an Instagrammer, these are some awesome experiences.

We'll have active sessions each day at lunch that can help you get a PDX (insider lingo) experience. Walking the waterfront, yoga with a view, and more.

While our programming might run a little longer, there's only so much learnin' a brain can make space for. Make a little you time where you can to see the city.

Andrea Post
    Conference Director
    NTEN
    Portland, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 5.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 11, 2019 12:38
    I suppose after the conference is probably better timing ^o^; there's already another thread going on for other activities to do, so I'll move this over there.
    Snow is good at the moment, I can post a conditions update closer to the con so folks can plan accordingly.

Jessica Liu
    Digital Media Trainer
    MetroEast Community Media
    Gresham, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 6.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 28, 2019 15:23
    Would anyone be interested in going to a roller derby game on the evening of March 13th? The Rose City Rollers are hosting a home game, and I can't imagine visiting Portland without trying to see them (Rose City's travel team are currently ranked 2nd in the world, y'all).

If you've never watched modern flat-track derby, that's cool: I was a referee and coach for several seasons​ here in Toronto, and I can talk you through the organized chaos.

Rachel Paris (pronouns: she/her)
    Manager, Digital Strategy and Community Engagement
    YPI Canada | www.goypi.org
    Toronto, ON

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 7.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 29, 2019 03:33
    I am so there always a dream to see Roller Derby

Sent from my iPhone

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 8.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 29, 2019 09:51
    Oh, YES! Count me in. How do we sign up?

Sarai Hoffman
    Chicago, IL

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 9.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 29, 2019 13:41
    I am so in for this! My coworker and her son are in, too.

Jess Emsley
    Seattle, WA

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 10.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 29, 2019 13:47
    Right on! I'm so glad that other folks want to get in on this with me. I put a few preliminary details into the Self-Organized Events shared document, and will keep updating there.

-Rachel

Toronto, ON

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 11.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 30, 2019 13:08
    I'm definitely interested in joining for roller derby! Will keep up with the self-organized groups doc for your updates on how you want to the group to gather. Thanks for organizing, Rachel!!

Patti DeBow
    President
    ParsonsTKO
    Washington, DC

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 12.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Jan 29, 2019 15:36
    This sounds awesome!!Bitmoji Image

Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 13.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 01, 2019 12:17
    I might also be interested in a Roller Derby outing. Sounds fun. (text/call at (314) 308-4917 that day. Thanks!

Richard Wollenberger
    Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
    Parents as Teachers
    St. Louis MO

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 14.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 04, 2019 15:07

Hi, everyone! 

I've updated the 19NTC Self-Organized Events document with some extra details about the roller derby game, including an RSVP form and confirmation that the venue is accessible. If you are committed to attending, please fill in the table with your name and e-mail, and on February 14th at 5:00 EST (as long as we've hit at least 10 RSVPs) I will put in a group order for tickets.

I'm happy to plan to travel down on the MAX line as a group, but if there are folks coming along who will be driving, let me know so we can connect at the venue! Those heading down on public transit, let's meet at 6:15pm at or near the convention center because it takes about an hour.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with you all!

Toronto, ON

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 15.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 20, 2019 15:55
    Speaking of post #19NTC hangouts, does anyone have any suggestions for ​attendees who want to hang out with some conference attendees after the conference but need to figure out what do with their luggage?

Jason Weaver
    Abilene, TX

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 16.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

STAFF
    Posted Feb 20, 2019 16:37

Jason,

While we'll have a bag check available at the convention center on Friday, it will close follow the final session of the day. I think your best bet is to check your bags at your hotel before you leave in the AM.

Hope this helps!

Andrea

Andrea Post, CMP (pronouns: she/her)​
    Conference Director
    NTEN
    andrea@nten.org
    Portland, OR

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 17.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 21, 2019 12:32
    A bag check at the convention center during the conference is a nice perk. Since I have to be at the airport by 4:00 a.m. (up by 2:30 in the morning to get ready and to airport by 4:00 a.m.) Friday morning, however, I'll be hanging out at the airport overnight instead of investing good money for another night of lodging for only 3-4 hours. In other words, I guess I'm looking for creative ideas (not necessarily offered or endorsed by NTEN) as to what I could do with my luggage for a few hours so I could try to enjoy some post-conference camaraderie. After all, dragging around 2-3 pieces of luggage in a Lyft or Uber or on public transportation seems like a drag.

This email and any files transmitted with it are the property of West Texas Rehabilitation Center, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this email is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 18.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 22, 2019 08:57
    If you are staying at a hotel, most hotels will hold your bags for you even if you have checked out already.  If you're not staying at a hotel, locals may have other ideas if there is a convenient place (e.g. train station) that has lockers or something...

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    Baltimore, MD
    www.shiftandscaffold.com
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 19.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 27, 2019 10:41
    Sounds awesome! I've never seen Roller Derby live before and it looks like a lot of fun. Count me in!

Michael Clinton
    Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
    Sheffield, MA

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 20.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 25, 2019 16:05
    Anyone around for Friday night and want to have dinner together? I'm not leaving until Saturday morning, and would love company for a meal Friday evening.

Also, I wouldn't mind going to Shabbat services Friday night somewhere (yes, that's a second request) but not a must-do. Would rather have the company of NPtech friends first.

Not sure if I should post this here, or create a separate thread, but starting here...
    Debra

Debra Askanase
    Oracle NetSuite Social Impact Manager
    Community Organizer 2.0
    Waltham MA
    (617) 682-2977

Nonprofit Tech Clubs

• 21.  RE: Pre/Post NTC Hangouts!

Posted Feb 25, 2019 18:30
    Hi Debra:
    I have a late flight on Friday and would be happy to meet you for dinner as long as I can get on my 11:30 pm airplane. Let me know if that might work for you. 

Sarai Hoffman
    773-710-4952

"To change one's life: 
    1. Start immediately. 
    2. Do it flamboyantly. 
    3. No exceptions."
    ― William James

Nonprofit Tech Clubs