2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference NTC

last person joined: an hour ago 

This is the community forum for 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference (#19NTC) registrants. Use this group ask and answer questions, talk about the sessions that you're presenting or that you're excited to attend, and find other attendees to connect with before or during the conference.

Online Learning Management Systems

• 1.  Online Learning Management Systems

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi,

We are in the process of moving a formerly live professional development training to an online learning management system to allow participants to take part in the training on their own schedule. It will include pre-recorded videos, reading assignments, checklists, and homework. Note that the training is for affiliated organizations and their staff, so we will not be charging the users to access the courses.

As of right now, we haven't selected a system for our course.

If anyone has any experience using one of these tools and has some insight into the options that are available, I'd love to meet at some point.

Thanks,
    Kevin

------------------------------
    Kevin Martone
    Technology Program Manager
    Harold Grinspoon Foundation
    Agawam, MA

• 2.  RE: Online Learning Management Systems

Posted 12 days ago
    Kevin, we have done something very similar where formerly we trained individuals in a live webinar or in person format and now moved a number of those trainings to be online.  The trainings themselves were designed by a firm and provided in SCORM format where we add to our LMS.

We also built a recommendation process for leaders in our alliance so they can "recommend" individuals to go through the trainings.  We've had several thousand individuals be recommended for trainings at the chapter level to deliver our programs.

I can share more if this is of interest.  Just let me know.

James Stewart
    CIO
    NAMI
    Arlington, VA

• 3.  RE: Online Learning Management Systems

Posted 12 days ago
    I'd be happy to chat with you about what we use and why we chose the items we did. Your LMS and if you intend to build courses outside of the LMS both have an impact as do the devices you anticipate your users will be accessing the coursework on.

I've downloaded the conference app, best to connect with me there.

Felice Nightengale
    Salesforce Administrator
    Pet Partners (aka Delta Society)
    Bellevue, WA

• 4.  RE: Online Learning Management Systems

Posted 11 days ago
    Edited by Kevin Simmons 11 days ago

Hi Kevin,

SAP Litmos is a great platform- it's intuitive for both the Administrator and Learners, it's easy to implement, and there are hundreds of off the shelf courses available too.  Our course building tool allows you to create all the module types you mentioned and more, and it's easy to assign and manage training for learners in your organization and externally as well.

We have a booth at the conference, come by and chat with us for a few minutes or feel free to reach out to me directly, my contact info is here in my signature.  I've worked with hundreds of companies to create great training programs and I'd love to assist you also.

Kevin Simmons
    Sales Executive
    SAP Litmos
    503-766-4751
    Kevins@litmos.com
    Dublin, CA

• 5.  RE: Online Learning Management Systems

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by Bill King 9 days ago
    There are over 700(!) LMSes out there. I've been on the vendor side of the LMS market since 2003. For a lot of general uses, I like NovoEd (not my product -- and I have no affiliation with them). Clean interface and some good social supports. I know a couple of smaller successful programs built on NovoED.

The "DIY" level is Moodle's new Professional Training platform. I haven't examined this one yet myself, but it's likely pretty affordable, given Moodle's history of open source. https://moodle.com/workplace/. It might be more for internal L&D -- not sure if they have eCommerce/cataloging.

edit: I just remembered another interesting one -- HT2 Labs.

You could get some good ideas just by looking at NovoEd and HT2 Labs.

My firm -- ExtensionEngine -- specializes in custom-built situations. If you are building a learning experience for external learners as part of your program, where differentiation, user experience, and branding are all critical (along with integrations), that's what we do. Our Instructional Design team will challenge the common idea of "pre-recorded videos, reading assignments, checklists, and homework." It depends on what you are trying to convey, but there are many more engaging approaches than video/reading/quiz. Custom ain't cheap! So it fits best when it's at the core of your mission. (though you do own the platform -- so if your program is going to scale, it's cheaper in the long run). We also provide learning strategy services and learner acquisition/marketing strategy support.

Our website is www.extensionengine.com if you want explore our blog, white papers or webinars on building a learning business. We've got a new series coming out soon on Digital Transformation of Learning. I think some/most of the content requires putting in your e-mail, but feel free to put in the notes "Bill sent me here from NTC. I don't need a call back" or something like that. It all gets sent to me anyway, so I'll know not to call ;) If you want a sounding board on strategy, please feel free to reach out.

Bill King
    Principal Learning Consultant
    ExtensionEngine