2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference NTC

last person joined: an hour ago 

This is the community forum for 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference (#19NTC) registrants. Use this group ask and answer questions, talk about the sessions that you're presenting or that you're excited to attend, and find other attendees to connect with before or during the conference.

Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

• 1.  Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi all,

I am traveling to Portland with my family (my son is 1) and looking for recommendations for family and kid-friendly activities, places to see, food, etc. It's our first time in Portland and thought all of the locals would have the best recs!

Thanks!
    Brian

------------------------------
    Brian Cavanaugh
    Director of Digital
    The Vilcek Foundation
    New York, NY

• 2.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 21 days ago
    Great question!

I've had my son at the last two NTCs and am excited we can host in our city this year so I'm not traveling (and working) with a non-sleeping baby in my hotel room :) There are SO many great things for kids here.

Dining Out
    I honestly haven't been anywhere that wasn't okay with kids (including breweries etc). Really, just go where you want to eat and you'll probably be fine (unless you have specific dietary restrictions/allergies, in which case let me know because that's our world and we have lots of recs).

Things to Do
    • Children's Museum - plenty for kids of all ages including crawlers/early walkers
    • OMSI - has a small area for crawlers/early walkers but is better for full-blown toddlers and up
    • Zoo - it is a great zoo! Plus there is a train and a carousel
    • Play places: PDXPlaydate, Playground Gym, Hammer+Jacks really there are lots of indoor play places and most accommodate crawlers
    • Oregon Rail Heritage Center (train museum)
    • Various library branches of the Multnomah County Library have storytimes throughout the week and weekend days
    • Parks - there are lots of amazing public parks in Portland that have play areas appropriate for toddlers
    Transport
    Public transit is really easy in Portland (you can download the Hop Fastpass or Trimet Tickets app ahead of time). You can pretty easily coordinate a route that includes light rail, streetcar, and bus back to back to really maximize the excitement for kids if you want!

Hopefully this is a start but happy to get really specific if you want to connect,
    a

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 3.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 19 days ago
    Perfect! Thank you for the great recommendations.

Brian Cavanaugh
    Director of Digital
    The Vilcek Foundation
    New York, NY

• 4.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 18 days ago

Hello! Thanks for keeping this thread going. I too am traveling with my husband and one year old. 

My questions is about transportation: we are taking an Uber to our Airbnb and realize that we need a car seat. How would you suggest we source one for use while we are there? 

Clarice

Clarice Veloso-Lugo
    Director of Development
    HIP Housing (Human Investment Project)
    San Mateo, CA

• 5.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi @Clarice Veloso-Lugo, Great question!

If you need to take a car (whether lyft, uber, or taxi) there are a couple options. I'm sharing all of these from personal experience with that ever-present parent-to-parent expectation that none of us judge each other :)

You can rent a car seat (https://www.babyquip.com/portland and https://babysaway.com/locations/sw-washington/ look like fine options). Since I live here I've not used them locally but I have used equivalent services in a handful of other US cities when traveling with our child and every time we've rented things (whether it was a car seat or not) the option to have things delivered to us at the airport was available, they even track the flight and meet you there and/or leave the rental equip at the rental car area (even if you aren't renting a car) for you to pick up. The return process is the same with them meeting you at the airport or allowing for drop off at the car rental place.

Or, you can hold them on your lap in the car and know it is a one-time deal. Obviously, this isn't the safest route but sometimes it just has to happen given the circumstance.

If you end up taking public transit from the airport (this would be the MAX light rail train) there's plenty of room for strollers and reserved seating for folks who need to sit (ie a parent with a lap child).

Happy to chat more directly if you want to email me personally too amy@nten.org

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 6.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 18 days ago
    Edited by Brian Cavanaugh 18 days ago
    Groundlink can be reserved with car seats for children under two. They'll be more expensive than Uber or Lyft, but it's nice that they have specific car seat options.

https://www.groundlink.com

Brian Cavanaugh
    Director of Digital
    The Vilcek Foundation
    New York, NY

• 7.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Jon Chabun 16 days ago
    Thanks for the great ideas.

I'm bringing my partner and our three-year-old daughter.

Jon Chabun
    Communications Coordinator
    Esquimalt Military Family Resource Centre
    Victoria, BC

• 8.  RE: Kids in Portland! Looking for family-friendly recommendations

Posted 20 days ago
    Hey Brian!

Travel Portland has a great collection of kid-friendly activities too, if you need more ideas: Portland with kids

Natania LeClerc
    Senior Digital Engagement Strategist
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR