Project Management

Website redesign prep materials

• 1.  Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 03, 2016 20:23

Hi everyone,

A former co-worker of mine is embarking on a website redesign project in a couple months. She's naturally good at communications but is not officially in a communications role and doesn't have any experience redesigning websites.

I'm looking for a comprehensive article or short handbook to send to her to make sure she's on the right track as she starts this project. I've been browsing all my files and the boards here but haven't found anything like that. On the other hand, a Google search for website brings up countless articles and handbooks and it's a little overwhelming.

If you have an article or handbook that's helped you get prepared for a website redesign project that you could share, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Reyes
    Digital Marketing Consultant
    Spring Media Strategies
    rebecca@springmediastrategies.com
    @mnrebs

• 2.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 04, 2016 10:58

I've put together my own list of tasks I recommend for people planning websites. It's fairly short and part of my new website for nonprofits trying to make DIY WordPress sites. That page also includes a number of links (including some NTEN articles!) for supplemental reading, as well as a link to the Usability.gov website planning worksheet.

That said, if your co-worker plans to work with volunteers or consultants on the project, I think it's rarely too early to bring them in and either discuss working with them on planning or getting their feedback and direction on what information to do. Each person is different and so tailoring your work to their work flow makes a lot of sense if you plan on working with them anyway. This also prevents the planning process from getting ahead of itself and deciding on certain features before fully understanding the needs they meet. As someone who builds websites for other people, I'd much prefer people to be early in planning when we first interact that completely set on their exact project requirements (unless those were developed with an expert).

Hope that helps!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 3.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 04, 2016 14:29

This is a great starting place with step-by-step considerations:

http://www.usability.gov/

Best of luck!

• 4.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 04, 2016 17:44

Hi Rebecca,

She might try this book: http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Web-Designer-Confidently-Navigate/dp/1440315027

Rachel Clemens
    President
    Creative Suitcase - Nonprofit Communications
    Austin TX

• 5.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 07, 2016 15:00

Thanks Mark, Jill, and Rachel for posting some great resources! I really appreciate it and I'll be sure to pass these along.

Rebecca Reyes
    Spring Media Strategies
    @mnrebs

• 6.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 11, 2016 21:14

When I think about website redesign, I think about it in 2 ways. First would be design which would be tailored to my audience and how they will interact with the new site. The second would be the content, is the information clear and easy to understand. I am not as good with the content part of it, but I am much better helping with design. One of the best ways to mock up a website is using a site like gomockingbird.com or invisionapp.com.

Andrew

Andrew Reddy
    Sr. Network Manager
    Associated Builders and Contractors

• 7.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 18, 2016 10:25

I'm a bit late to the party, but my favorite website book lately is Content Strategy for the Web. I firmly believe that any web project should start with "why" and build from there, and this book gives clear and accessible (and often entertaining) guidance.

Katie Fritz
    Principal, Katie M Fritz, LLC
    Lansing MI
    http://katiemfritz.com

• 8.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 18, 2016 11:36
    "Start with 'why'" needs to be stitched on a pillow or turned into a tattoo. So true.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Katie Fritz via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--
    Bethany Lister
    Community Program Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
    http://nten.org | @NTENorg
    503-272-8733

It takes a community to raise a nonprofit! Participate in the 2016 NTEN Community Challenge and help us raise $25,000 and support nonprofits using technology to fulfill their missions.

• 9.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 19, 2016 12:18

Thanks Andrew and Katie for the tips and resource!. I'll be sure to pass them along.

Bethany - maybe we should give away temporary tattoos at NTC this year that say "start with why" :D

Rebecca Reyes
    Spring Media Strategies
    @mnrebs

• 10.  RE: Website redesign prep materials

Posted Feb 19, 2016 14:06
    Love it! If not this year, then next! 

--
    Bethany Lister
    Community Program Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
    http://nten.org | @NTENorg
    503-272-8733

It takes a community to raise a nonprofit! Participate in the 2016 NTEN Community Challenge and help us raise $25,000 and support nonprofits using technology to fulfill their missions.