Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

• 1.  Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted May 31, 2016 17:47
    ---------------------------
    This Message was Encrypted.
    ---------------------------

My organization is just getting into individual giving. We are looking at a few tools for donor management and payment processing. For example we've had a demo with Raiser's Edge, Kindful & Wealth Engine. We are also looking into Stripe, PayPal & Salesforce.

What are the tools you swear by? Or the recipe of the perfect tools?

Erin Edwards
    Digital Communications Associate
    212-633-0800 x1361
    www.institute.org
    eedwards@institute.org
    - Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 01, 2016 10:10

We use Raiser's Edge and CiviCRM, but they are not integrated with each other. I suggest looking at Classy and Network for Good for online donation management, they seem to have some good services.

------------------------------
    Jean Gazis
    Communications Associate, Legal Momentum

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 02, 2016 09:53

Thank you Jean! I did recommend Classy but I don't think the price point was desirable at the time! And we are currently using Network for Good for payment processing & off the shelf fundraising pages. I don't like how uncustomizable the pages are with NFG and we are also in need of CRM/donor management tool as well  as a wealth managment tool.

Erin Edwards
    Public Relations Associate
    The Institute for Family Health
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 02, 2016 02:13

Hi Erin,

Sounds like you have two related, but different, needs: a donor management database, and a payment processor. These two systems should be integrated with one another. Without knowing more about your organization it's hard to recommend a specific solution. My company tracks over 40 different CRMs/donor management systems, and about two dozen payment processors, and we don't believe that our tracking is comprehensive! There are a lot of choices and a broad variety of products and features to choose from. The more you can share with us about your organization's goals, size, and activities, the better our advice will be. 

I'm a consultant in this space, and (perhaps unsurprisingly) I recommend that organizations hire an expert to help them choose and implement these systems. They're a big investment of time and money, and some good advice and guidance can spare you a lot of heartache.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 02, 2016 10:07

Thank you Isaac - that is pretty sound advice. I will share that with my colleagues and hopefully we will be on our way to hiring a consultant. This process has been overwhelming for most of us.

We are currently using Network for Good for our fundraising pages and payment processing. We need a CRM for donor management and other things a CRM provides. We are not happy with having our donation page hosted on NFG's site, taking the user to another page that is a complete different experience from our website. We need more customization and we want our donors to stay within our website.

We are in the early stages, so we have no donor base. Our goal is to cultivate loyal donors. We are also looking into wealth management tools - to help automate the management of major gifts and donors.

Erin Edwards
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 03, 2016 09:30

Erin,

I'd like to pop in here to give some resources that may help.  While consultants can be useful when doing large scale implementations, sometimes the simplest thing is doing some research and writing down what your organization needs. Paying someone might work for larger organizations but hiring a consultant is sometimes out of budget or unnecessary for small to midsized organizations.

Now, full disclosure - I am with a vendor called NeonCRM. But I'm going to generally keep that out of this since I've been in the nonprofit fundraising world for over ten years. I've used Raiser's Edge, Salesforce, Little Green Light, and others in my positions. While everyone has an agenda, it is important to be transparent.

First, it sounds like you are looking for something that can help track donors and relationships. There are lots of choices for that and one of the best (if not slightly outdated) places to start is the Idealware report: A Consumers Guide to Donor Management Systems

We also put out a buyer's guide that might help: Nonprofit Donor Databases: The Buyer's Guide - NeonCRM

Second, many of the options listed above have their own ways to manage payment processing. Classy and Network for Good (up until recently) are stand alone systems that would then need the data manually imported or synced through a connection tool in order to show up in your database of record. However, Kindful, DonorPerfect, Salsa, NeonCRM, and Blackbaud all have options where you don't need to buy something separate other than perhaps choosing from their list of payment processing partners.  They all have different rates and potentially monthly fees - so always ask for a direct representative from the payment processor to speak to in order to get the most honest rates.  Stripe is fine if you're a developer but requires either custom work or you to rely on the vendor to build out a form that may or may not even look like your website.

Third, sometimes vendors put up stripped down packages on TechSoup. If you're truly just getting started then this might be worth exploring. The downside in my opinion is that these almost always come with little to no support and stripped down functionality that might not even allow for online donations or communications. Free or super cheap always has a catch - they're like puppies.

In summary, it can be quite confusing when you're not sure what you're looking for.  But generally ask these questions:

• What do you have trouble with tracking now?
    • What do you want to track in a new system that you can't easily now?
    • Is there a way to centralize databases? Meaning, can you have something that does donor management, events, volunteers, communications, etc. in one place? 
    • If you need to use a secondary tool (e.g. Quickbooks), how does this data interact with your database of record? Will you need to import/export data or is there a tool that will sync the data with little to no work on your behalf?
    • What can you afford on a monthly basis? Nearly all vendors charge by the month now and typically based off how many records you have in the system.

Hope that helps. 

Tim Sarrantonio
    NEON Sales Consultant
    Neon CRM
    Chicago IL

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 03, 2016 12:05

Super helpful and thorough. Thanks Tim. I will pass this info on to my colleagues and begin the research. 

Best,

Erin

Erin Edwards
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 06, 2016 11:47

Hi Erin,

I'd like to recommend Engaging Networks, which is used by hundreds of the world's most recognized nonprofits to power their email marketing, donation pages, advocacy campaigns, peer-to-peer fundraising and events. Some of these organizations include Amnesty International, Human Rights Campaign, Human Rights Watch, Humane Society International, USA for UNHCR, Pew Charitable Trusts, Greenpeace (across 30 countries), World Vision, World Food Program, Ocean Conservancy, Canadian Red Cross, and UNICEF Canada, to name a few.

We pride ourselves on three strengths:

• Extreme customizability - to make your donation forms, advocacy forms and emails look and behave exactly as they want them to look and behave. This includes the ability to cope easily with global languages and currencies.
    • Constant innovation - driven by client feedback, to keep always improving the platform, openly and transparently. We roll out new features and upgrades literally every two months. That’s because we believe that software to which you are subscribing ought to continue getting more and more valuable to your organization.
    • Strong and personal client support - No nasty bureaucratic ticketing system to deal with — just real team members providing fast, responsive and strategic assistance.

We also fully integrate with databases such Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, ROI solutions, or we also have custom integrations through our API (like Commerce Register and Portfolio). Some clients use us for their database of record as well, like Humane Society International.

I hope this is helpful for your search, and if you'd like to chat or if I can answer any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at elise@engagingnetworks.net.

Thanks!

Elise

Elise Ledsinger
    Director of Business Development
    Engaging Networks
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 06, 2016 12:14

Hi Erin,

We currently use Salesforce for our CRM and manage two other Salesforce instances for different entities we have, the generous discount Salesforce offers non-profits made it a no brainier.  The amount of different integration's was also a huge help for use, their appexchange has plenty of out of the box integration's and if its not there we usually use Zapier to set up other integration's such as Paypal, Survey Monkey and Big Commerce.  Its very easy to customize and the documentation and Salesforce community make it so easy to learn and find solutions to most of your problems.

-Chris

Chris Hunter
    Sr. Business Systems Analyst
    Housing Partnership Network

• 10.  RE: Recommendations for CRMs, Merchant Processing Companies & wealth management tools

Posted Jun 09, 2016 14:41

Hi Erin,

My company works closely with Nonprofits to fulfill their merchant processing needs and adding an additional donation channel through Video Checkout.

Video Checkout would enable donors to donate inside videos in Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, emails, blogs, and other social media channels.

Our Nonprofits are able monetize all their social media marketing efforts, get 4X conversion rates, and add an additional donation

channel.

Please feel free to see the examples below and contact me to see a short web demo.

Here is a Facebook example of Video Checkout for Nonprofits:

http://bit.ly/25owqIG

Here is an example of Video Checkout for Nonprofits in a blog, email, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+.:

http://bit.ly/1RuBaPG

Here is a live example of Miami Children's Health Foundation

http://bit.ly/1sS1wXY

Miami Children's Health Foundation on Facebook:

http://bit.ly/1s7Ol4z

Kind Regards,

Aaron Blockley
    Sr. Account Executive Business Development

CTS_Image

aaron@total-apps.com
    http://www.total-apps.com
    Direct: (949) 274-8975 x130
    Twitter: @AaronBlockley

image001.png@01D0E3F5.A6B81940

26800 Aliso Viejo Parkway
    Suite 250
    Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

image002.jpg@01D0E3F5.A6B81940  image003.jpg@01D0E3F5.A6B81940  image004.jpg@01D0E3F5.A6B81940  image005.jpg@01D0E3F5.A6B81940

image006.jpg@01D0E3F5.A6B81940 
    Inc. 5000 Fast-Growing Private Companies: 2013, 2014, 2015