Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Good professional development opportunities

• 1.  Good professional development opportunities

Posted Jun 28, 2016 13:23

I would like to offer some professional development opportunities to my staff (preferably onsite in Denver, CO but open to virtual) on technology topics like web accessibility, user experience/testing and/or the future of eLearning.  Does anyone have recommendations or experience with good providers of this kind of education/training for the non-profit sector?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Annette Fowler
    Director of eLearning Technology
    National Endowment for Financial Education

• 2.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

STAFF
    Posted Jun 28, 2016 15:55

Annette,

Good questions. In terms of in-person stuff I am not sure of the Denver area specifically. There is a very active Tech Club that that might have some good stuff or likely could be helpful in find more resources for the in-person events.

In terms of online stuff there are a few options out there for sure. Here at NTEN we are just now starting to launch our new Training Events but not quite with the specific focus you are looking for. In terms of those topics we usually have a few end up in the agenda for the NTC that will be happening in D.C. next March.

Although not nonprofit specific there are a few events around these topics through the E-Learning Guild. The free events can feel very "lead generation" focused but their other paid training events are pretty good.

Hopefully that gets you something :-)

Best,
    Ash

Ash Shepherd
    Education Director
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    ash@nten.org

• 3.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

Posted Jun 29, 2016 12:31

Ash,

Thanks for mentioning the Denver Tech Club! I'm going to be in Denver only July 19 -20 for non-business reasons, but have the night of the 20th available. I went to their website and found that they are hosting their only July event on the 20th, and signed up! So excited to go to a different Tech Club and meet new people!

If there's anyone from Denver on this thread, I'd love to connect ahead of time. I'll be attending the July 20th crowdfunding event.

Props for sharing all the good of this community -- and thank you for doing so.

Best,
    Debra

Debra Askanase
    Founder & Digital Engagement Strategist
    Community Organizer 2.0
    Waltham MA
    (617) 682-2977

• 4.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

Posted Jun 28, 2016 16:30

For webinars, you might want to consider following some web development agencies on Twitter to hear about webinars they conduct on a variety of topics. They use them for lead generation, but they are often conducted by experts with a great deal of experience in the topic area. Generally, they are free.

I know mainly the Drupal world, but most of these topic apply across platforms. Some agencies (and their twitter handles) that conduct good webinars are:
    • Zivtech
    • Pantheon
    • Palantir
    • Four Kitchens (actually, I think they have a podcast)
    • Gizra <self promo>that's us - we just started a webinar series, and content strategy & e-learning are on the agenda</self promo>

That's not an exhaustive list at all. Also in the podcast world 5x5 has some great material - I wouldn't necessarily call it professional development, but you could build some good discussions around some of the content.

Adam Stewart
    Chief Technology Officer, USA
    Gizra
    773-859-2326
    adam@gizra.com

• 5.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

Posted Jun 29, 2016 11:10

It looks like Annette's organization's website doesn't use WordPress, but for those that do, I would recommend people attend in-person WordPress meetups and once-a-year WordCamp conferences if possible. They are in cities throughout the world!

Here's an article with details I wrote a few months ago:

$20 Full-day WordPress Professional Development! | Nonprofit WP

Nonprofit WP remove preview
    $20 Full-day WordPress Professional Development! | Nonprofit WP
    When you work for a nonprofit money is often tight, and professional development can seem like an easy line to cut. The immediate benefits of new training and skill-building aren't always apparent, but professional development can help increase the effectiveness of your organization in the long term.
    View this on Nonprofit WP >

I've attended and spoken at many of these in Seattle and know that nonprofit staff often learn some important skills and ideas while also strengthening their connections to potential volunteers, consultants, and agencies.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 6.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

STAFF
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 12:13

Just wanted to call out my shear nerdy delight at seeing Adam's well executed use of a <self promo> tag.

Useful + techie + funny = Good Stuff

Ash Shepherd
    Education Director
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    ash@nten.org

• 7.  RE: Good professional development opportunities

Posted Jun 29, 2016 17:32

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.  I'm a first time poster here and I guess I'm hooked!  Thanks again!

Annette Fowler
    Director of eLearning Technology
    National Endowment for Financial Education