Discuss

last person joined: an hour ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources.
Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

New to the group? Introduce yourself!
Reminder: Job posts are not allowed. Please visit the Nonprofit Tech Job Board to post a job or search for career opportunities.
Current organizers: Keith Berner and Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Short link: http://community.nten.org/ntendiscuss
Anyone can join and contribute to this group! Just create an account to get started.

Topic: Introductions

1.  Introductions

Posted Jun 30, 2016 13:28

Hi everyone,

This is NTEN's most long-standing and active online group, yet we don't have an introduction thread here. Let's change that. Let's meet!

Here are some prompts to help get us started:

• Organization and your role there (or what role you'd like to have)
  • Something you can offer, something you need, or something you're working on

I’ll kick us off:

I’m Bethany, the Community Program Manager here at NTEN headquarters in Portland, Oregon. I have the most excellent job of working with NTEN’s online community groups (like this one!), in-person community groups (aka Nonprofit Tech Clubs), and education programs (such as the Nonprofit Technology Professional Certificate).

Recent wins: I'm in front of people all the time, but only recently gave my second-ever formal presentation. It was sooooo scary but also so awesome. I glowed for days after. Woohoo!

Something I need: I'm looking for volunteers to help organize NTEN's online groups. Here's more info: http://www.nten.org/community/communities-of-practice/about/.

Looking forward to reading more intros. Thanks for making this group great!
Bethany
------------------------------
Bethany Lister
Community Program Manager
Nonprofit Technology Network
bethany@nten.org

2.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 01, 2016 07:21

Hello all,

Steve McDonell, VP of IT at ACHIEVA in Pittsburgh.

Recent wins:  high speed document scanning, placing smart televisions in all of our large meeting rooms, expansion of telephone based service reporting system

Project:  developing KPIs to support our new strategic plan, selecting a new HCM/HRIS, electronic expense reporting and single sign on

Steve McDonell
Vice President of Information Technology
ACHIEVA
Pittsburgh PA

3.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 01, 2016 09:35

Hi Everyone and thanks, Beth!

Who I am and where I am is in my signature, below.

Recent win: Convinced organization's executives to pursue comprehensive and coherent approach to knowledge management, rather than piecemeal tool building.

Tips of the Day:

·         Successful vendor management relies on a commitment to win-win relationships

·         IT leaders should be less fascinated with shiny toys and new ideas than with making their organizations more effective and efficient. Sometimes, this means going slow on change.

·         IT security requires enterprise-level protections/architecture changes, secure tools for end-users, and extensive/nonstop user education. (PS. I am in the process of creating a compendium of secure tools and resources for end-users. If interested in seeing or contributing, please contact me off-list.)

--Keith

Keith Berner

Director, Information Technology

Freedom House

Phone: +1 202.747.7003

Mobile: +1 301.588.5080

berner@freedomhouse.org

1850 M Street, NW, Fl 11, Washington, DC 20036 USA

4.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 01, 2016 11:02
    • Stuart F. McClain – Regional Access Project Foundation – Controller – that is my title – though I support all internal IT and software, with an outside IT support for real technical issues – so I handle finance/accounting and reporting.
    • We are in Palm Desert, CA – which is part of the greater Palm Springs area
  • Recent win
    • Win? Well – we've just completed 1 year of online grant applications through Salesforce/FoundationConnect – and Im getting to have lots of FUN implementing and making the tech do things for us!
  •  
    • I have a broad business background – and my focus in IT is more on solutions and using it to accomplish tasks, not so much on repair and coding etc.  I like to learn from this group and get feedback and find out how others in similar situations solve their problems.  This next fiscal year my main IT related projects 1) continue to implement SalesForce and workflows to further automate other areas of our operations and 2) looking at implementing Office 365 and OneDrive – to further facilitate our collaboration internally as well as externally with committee members.

Stuart F. McClain, MBA, CPA(inactive), CITP

Controller

General Phone: (760) 674-9992 ext. 101

Direct Dial: (760) 469-4371

AmazonSmile-RAP-Small IE Capaciteria

5.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 01, 2016 11:08

Happy Friday! I'm Justyna and I am the Communications Director for The Andrew Goodman Foundation in Mahwah, NJ. Even though I've only been at this position for less than two months, I've really enjoyed laying the foundation for increasing our visibility and strengthening our brand.

One recent win that has stuck with me was sending out my first newsletter at AGF and seeing donations come in as a result of it. It felt incredibly validating :).

Something I need: A PR tool to help me streamline our Media Relations.

Nice to meet ya'll. Hope everyone has a relaxing long weekend!
Justyna

Justyna Krygowska
Communications Director
Andrew Goodman Foundation
Mahwah NJ

6.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 05, 2016 06:25

Excel is my world and sharing knowledge via workshops, YouTube tutorials, online courses and tutoring.

I'm an Excel MVP as recognized by Microsoft.

I founded a nonprofit back in 2009 and acted as ED for 4 years. That experience put me in touch with a lot of nonprofits and their data challenges. Even if they had an IT team there was still a need to be able to do ad hoc reporting and analysis in Excel.

Recent Wins

• Last week I launched an online course on cleansing data with Excel.
    Data-cleansing is where my Excel skill started. I worked at an international company that had an IT team and a massive database. But it was still necessary to be able to take raw data and do things like:
    • locate duplicate records,
    • extract data for which there were no existing reports,
    • merge multiple reports to get at details none of them had on their own

It's exciting to have a course that teaches people the stuff that has to happen BEFORE any analysis or data visualization can happen.

• My first international speaking gig has been confirmed for September. I'll be teaching an Excel Masterclass in Toronto! It's not as exotic as Hong Kong, but I do have to renew my passport.

Needs & Offers

• I'm open to all opportunities to empower people with Excel. I'm always open to answering basic questions, and may respond with a YouTube video. I can also be booked for workshops and webinars.
Oz du Soleil

7.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 01, 2016 12:55
  |   view attached

Thank you for the great kick-off introduction, Bethany.

I'm Barbara Cohen, Executive Director of Animal Cancer Foundation in Norwalk, Connecticut.

ACF funds comparative oncology research that studies the similarities of cancer in pets and people.

You may be thinking, our pets - dogs & cats - also get cancer?

Yes, one in four dogs and one in five cats develop cancer in their lifetimes!

Something I'm always working on is to make pet parents aware of the warning signs of pet cancer, because early diagnosis leads to best prognosis, and of comparative oncology research to help everyone.  Right now, I'd love to see Vice President Biden's Cancer Moon Shot include comparative oncologists.  That's how Animal Cancer Foundation #CanServe!

A recent win came from our teamwork with PetValu-US on our 3rd Annual Come Clean for Cancer campaign.  PetValu-US donated all the proceeds from their pet self-washes on May 14 & 15, 2016, raising over $35K to fund research.  I love working with corporate benefactors in the pet industry to help bring awareness and funds to the cause.

Don't forget to have a great Fourth of July with your pets, keep them safe!

Barbara Cohen
Executive Director
Animal Cancer Foundation
Norwalk CT

8.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 04, 2016 09:58

Thanks for starting this chain, Bethany!

I'm Elizabeth Brigham, Director of Marketing and Communications for Timshel, a technology company focused on elevating the social impact community.  We have offices in Chicago and NYC, as well as engineers all over the country including one coding from an RV!

Recent win: I've met so many great guests for our podcast, Elevate Purpose, here on the NTEN community including Gillian Helm of Literacy KC and Michael Hoffman of See3, I can't wait to find other similar guests doing great work in their communities and bring them on to chat with Michael Slaby (our co-founder and former CTO for Obama's campaigns). 

Something I need/can offer:

We're looking for innovative front-end web developers (at nonprofits, at foundations, at digital agencies, etc) to help us expand our engagement and impact tool platform, the groundwork. Here's a link to our developer docs: The Groundwork Developer Center

We're working with USA for UNHCR, Lonely Whale, Proud2Share, Fabretto and other nonprofits around the world already, but we want our platform to be as useful as possible for web developers doing great work. We'd love your help to improve it.

Happy Fourth!

Thegroundwork remove preview

The Groundwork Developer Center

View this on Thegroundwork >
Elizabeth Brigham
Director of Marketing and Communications
Timshel

9.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 04, 2016 14:40

Thanks Bethany, for getting this topic started, I am always open to information exchange and networking so here I am.

Who am I; Neil Wiernik, Manager, Digital Engagement at YMCA Canada (ymca.ca). I am located in Toronto, Canada.

I am fairly new to my role so my recent win would be getting this role (very excited about the role!!)

I dont really need anything at the moment, just absorbing the information that NTEN has to offer, learning from peers is always so great!

As I mentioned I am new to my role so I am just getting my feet wet looking at how I can optimize the Ys online presence and change the conversation from awareness to engagement. - Thanks and nice to meet everyone... Neil

Neil Wiernik
Manager, Digital Engagement
YMCA Canada
Toronto ON

10.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 06, 2016 16:51

This thread is so good! I see a few community regulars, some alums for NTEN's Nonprofit Tech Academy, a Portlander like moi, someone I met on this morning's Member Orientation call, and some folks who I've not yet met before. LOVE IT.

Keep the intros coming, folks. Let's connect!

Bethany Lister
bethany@nten.org

11.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 07, 2016 16:19

Hi, new (returning) NTEN member here!

I'm Andy. I'm the founder of Deliberate Media Solutions, where I'm a WordPress consultant looking to serve nonprofits and service organizations, an industry where I worked for over a decade. My desire to serve the nonprofit world still burns brightly, so I'm here!

I'm located right outside of Philadelphia.

My most recent win is that I just submitted an application to have my LLC paperwork filed. And that I rejoined NTEN after having been out of the scene for two years! Great to be back in the mix.

What I can offer is WordPress help for those who have their websites built on WordPress. Any questions about themes, plugins, or WordPress in general, I can help. Also have knowledge of Google Analytics, so I can help with that too.

Andy Stitt
Founder and WordPress Consultant
Deliberate Media Solutions
http://deliberatemediasolutions.com

12.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 11, 2016 21:37

Hi all!

Chris Ferdinandi here. Quick highlights:

• I'm responsible for web strategy at PAWS New England, an animal rescue.
  • I also run Go Make Things, a consultancy that helps nonprofits use raise more money with digital fundraising.
  • live near horse farms in rural Massachusetts.
  • I recently helped Harvard Business School reduce the load time of one of their websites by 82%—from 5 seconds to under 1 second.
  • I also helped PAWS double their annual donation revenue over a three year period.
  • If anyone is interested, I send out a short daily email with one simple thing you can do to improve your digital fundraising. You can sign up at https://gomakethings.com/newsletter/.

Cheers!
Chris

Chris Ferdinandi
http://gomakethings.com

13.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 19, 2016 08:25

Hey, Bethany -- congrats on the presentation! You know it gets easier with practice but I'll always have to deal with the butterfly-jitters, I think.

So here's about me:

• I'm the IT Director at Family Service League (Home - Family Service League), a relatively large health and human services agency on  We have 20 locations and run 60 programs, providing services to families across the county. It is an amazing place to work, mission-driven and led by visionaries who also have their feet on the ground.
  • Recent win(s)!
    • We were able to make two long-planned projects come off without a hitch: one was relocating our entire infrastructure to a private cloud, solidifying our physical and technical security and the second was to consolidate three offices into one. Within 14 days on weekends.
    • Another win was moving the agency off one enterprise software package on to another. We actually ditched our EHR and implemented a new one. It was painful but worth it.
    • Strategic plan for the next 18 months to 2 years
    • Intranet

I've also been a member of NTEN for many years and attended just about all NTCs. I'd like to get an NTEN club going on Long Island again -- maybe in the fall.

Grace Barry
Director of Information Technology
Family Service League
Huntington NY

14.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 20, 2016 11:30
Welcome, Grace. Congrats on the successful projects! It would be awesome to hear more about these on next week's Tech Decision Maker's call: https://community.nten.org/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=cfdd325b-2e25-4469-8d5d-383167ab4791

I would love to get a Nonprofit Tech Club together on Long Island! The awesome NYC team can give you some mentorship. When you're ready, here's more info: http://www.nten.org/community/nonprofit-tech-clubs/about/.

Love these intros. Keep them coming!

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Grace Barry via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--
Bethany Lister
NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
http://nten.org | @NTENorg
503-272-8733

Take the 2016 Technology Staffing and Investments Survey for a chance to win a $500 VISA gift card! Your insights will help us provide benchmarks and qualitative data about technology decisions for the nonprofit sector.

15.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 20, 2016 11:58

Hi everyone,

I'm Miriam Savad with the Center for Community Change (CCC) in the relatively new position of Director of Data and Technology. Headquartered in Washington, DC, CCC has been around nearly 50 years and works to build grassroots movements; our current focus areas are green jobs, child care, immigration, retirement security, affordable housing, racial justice and reinvestment. 

As I'm new to this role, I'm working to change how technology is often viewed in the organization (e.g. my laptop is broken) and having it become a strategic partner in meeting the goals of our programs and campaigns. Right now I'm trying to develop a plan to modernize our infrastructure and move us to an enterprise CRM, from exchange to office 365, and from a file server to cloud-based data management. Lots of work ahead!

Miriam Savad
Director of Data and Technology
Center for Community Change

16.  RE: Introductions

Posted Jul 20, 2016 17:04
Welcome, Miriam! The 2017 Nonprofit Technology Conference will be in DC next year: http://www.nten.org/ntc/. There's also a Nonprofit Tech Club in your neighborhood too: http://www.nten.org/community/nonprofit-tech-clubs/.

Congrats on the new role!

--
Bethany Lister
503-272-8733

Take the 2016 Technology Staffing and Investments Survey for a chance to win a $500 VISA gift card! Your insights will help us provide benchmarks and qualitative data about technology decisions for the nonprofit sector.

17.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 01, 2016 07:13

Hello! Originally with an art background, I've been a computer graphic artist for investment banker, a website administrator and most recently the Director of Digital Engagement, Content and Communications at Women's eNews in New York City. I've worn a lot of hats! I'm currently with one foot in graduate school, earning my Masters of Public Administration, and one foot in the job market seeking employment as an administrator where nonprofit meets women meets the digital world. I'd love to help a new nonprofit catapult their message and brand.

Recent win? How 'bout a 4.0 GPA while project managing a rebrand/redesign of a WordPress with 15 years of archived content?

I can offer being the person who can figure almost anything out. People around me know to "just ask Ariel" because either I already know or I know how to find out. I love to learn (kind of an addiction, actually).

I'm working on finding my next opportunity: ideally a part-time remote position where I can look at data, expand reach and engagement, and make recommendations. More ideally, implement those ideas and see what works! But really, I would love to find a position which activates and inspires me to use my talents to launch the organization in ways they never thought possible.

Ariel Jensen-Vargas

18.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 01, 2016 12:41

Hi I am Tony Caufield. I am a current Tech Club Organizer in Las Vegas NV. I most recently worked for Three Square Food Bank as their Technology Manager. I am looking for consulting or perm positions.

I am an IT Leader. I help organizations do more than just have computers. I believe IT should be part of the business team not just support for it. Technology can be a great tool for building efficiency and growth.  When you use an IT leader as part of the over all planning and development of your organization they can assist in helping improve processes and ensure that you get the correct technology to further your mission and keep the entire organization connected. When you allow each functional department manager choose and implement their own technology you create a disconnect and possible extra work when it comes to situations where data is needed beyond that functional dept. By seeking out someone in IT that can do more than just fix your computer you open your organization up to a more seamless process across more functional departments.

Anthony Caufield
North Las Vegas

19.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 04, 2016 14:39

Welcome Ariel and Tony!

Ariel, I'm pumped for our chat about potentially serving as an NTEN online organizer!

Tony, I'm so glad you're on our Nonprofit Tech Club team! 

It sounds like both of you are searching for the next adventure. You might want to check out NTEN's job board every now and then: nten.org/jobs. A new job gets posted nearly every day. There's lots in the NYC area, not so much in Vegas but I'll be on the look out for you, Tony.

veldRFwHTtKJI6ciR3hv_giphy (9).gif

Bethany Lister
bethany@nten.org

20.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 05, 2016 08:53

Thanks I look forward to learning a lot and being part of the NTEN community

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Masters of Public Administration candidate
Baruch School of Public Affairs
Queens, NY

21.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 10, 2016 22:10

Organization: Currently working with Portland Clean Air on some pro-bono statistical analysis.

Win: I recently developed my first tabular results in R. It has seemed rather abstract, but was fun getting past the wall of abstraction.

Ways I can help/be helped: Something I need: I need help finding the right place where I can get more practice with supporting organizations with Google, and some data visualization software. I can help with a lot of Microsoft based programming as well as Mathematical analysis, but I haven’t gotten as immersed into the open-source software scene as I would like. I would like to help the right non-profit/organization and get some connections that way.

Doug Loqa
Portland, OR

22.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 11, 2016 11:25
Welcome, Doug.

Congrats on the R win! Our COO was messing around with that language recently--it sounds like a lot of fun.

Since you're in Portland, have you checked out Free Geek (freegeek.org)? I volunteered there for several years in build, then education, fundraising, and outreach. I learned a ton. Free Geek is also a host site for NTEN's Digital Inclusion Fellowship program. Woohoo!

Welcome again to this fabulous community!

--
Bethany Lister
503-272-8733

23.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 12, 2016 13:44

I am Emily and I've been part of NTEN and the nonprofit technology community for 10+ years. I live in the DC area and I am a Full-Text Analyst in the journals department at the American Psychological Association.

My recent win is improving the content of the intranet page for a committee I am a member of at work. I spent many months working on this and my changes finally became a reality. Another recent win is that I am now the organizer of NTEN's Washington, DC online community.

Something I can offer, what I am working on, and what I need- I have a blog/website called the Nonprofit Blog Exchange which has been around for 11 years now. It is a resource I offer for others to learn what people are writing about in their nonprofit blogs. I write roundups and link to nonprofit blogs. I've been in the process of improving this great resource and have many ideas for the future. One thing I always need is more nonprofit blogs to add to my list - both blogs for organizations and about nonprofits. Message me directly if you have an addition.

24.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 15, 2016 11:19
Hello, Emily! You've been such a great champion of nonprofit tech and NTEN for a long time. I'm excited about your helping us nurture the DC online community.

--
Bethany Lister
503-272-8733

25.  RE: Introductions

Posted Aug 15, 2016 15:26
Thanks for that resource Emily, I will keep that in mind during my own web wanderings and let you know if I find any

--
regards,

Ariel Jensen-Vargas

twitter: @webmamma5000

26.  RE: Introductions

Posted Sep 05, 2016 12:35
  • Organization and your role there (or what role you'd like to have

I formed IBSA, Inc. in 1993 as an extension of the campus group started in 1991 on Washburn University in Topeka Kansas.  The aims of the group was to be of active value in the community, by providing talent,  access to university resources and to research and share information or data to other organizations working with the less fortunate.  

Made up of primarily non-traditional students,  I believe students at the undergrad (and high school) level are a great source for building communities.  I am responsible for all day to day management and operating divisions within the organization and its primary advocate on issues related to our agency, clients and neighborhoods they reside.

• Recent win

Getting our locally elected officials to allocate sales tax dollars for the purpose of establishing Wi-Fi networks in lower-income neighborhoods.  November of last year they dedicated  $250,000 and will soon issue an RFI to develop the RFP. 

I hope to offer input from time to time and learn from those sharing information,  ideas and other opportunities involving the tech space we share. I am currently working with youth and young adults on a techpreneur project whereas we provide them a course and instruction on using Wordpress and pay them for using what they learn to maintain our online business directory's.

As a state contractor, my time is also consumed weekly working with single-parent job seekers receiving cash assistance  (TANF), that are preparing for or applying for employment.  I also facilitate local leadership development activities for Black youth, adults and community leaders; including discussions on technology,  social enterprise,  and economic empowerment

Lazone Grays
President
IBSA, Inc.
Topeka, KS
www.ibsa-inc.org
www.kwanzafund.org
www.streetsuniversity.org

27.  RE: Introductions

Posted Sep 06, 2016 12:09
Welcome, Lazone!

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Lazone Grays via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--
Bethany Lister
503-272-8733

28.  RE: Introductions

Posted Sep 06, 2016 21:09

Welcome, Lazone!

It seems you have your hands full with encouraging learning and giving the disadvantaged a leg-up in life. I hope that you find this forum full of  stimulating ideas for your many projects, which then you can pass on to the youth and single-parent job seekers and community leaders. Please if you have any tech questions don't hesitate to ask, you never know who might have that tip that will lead you in the right direction. Thanks for all you do and being a part of NTEN.

BtazuhJIRFehxANRq2CY_5484651-535312-welcome-word-in-different-languages.jpg

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Masters of Public Administration Candidate
Baruch School of Public Affairs
Queens, NY

29.  RE: Introductions

Posted Sep 07, 2016 14:22

Welcome, Lazone!

I'm really interested to hear more about the WiFi project you are leading. Can you link me to any articles or info? Are you already connected with NDIA and digital inclusion folks in KC? I'd love to introduce you to our Fellows there.

Feel free to drop me a line directly drew@nten.org

Cheers!

Drew

Drew Pizzolato
Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager
Portland, OR

30.  RE: Introductions

Posted Sep 29, 2016 15:48
Edited by Erin Doherty Sep 29, 2016 17:52

Hi, everyone!

I’m the new Digital Engagement Manager here at NTEN, which is a fancy way of saying I work on all of our web content, emails, and social media, in collaboration with my team members Lyndal and Bethany. I work in our Portland, Oregon office. I’m really excited to be here and to meet our awesome community!

Recent win: Does getting this job count? ;-) I also just nailed down my first contributor to an upcoming edition of Connect Monthly, woohoo!

Need/offer/etc.: I'm always looking for contributors to Connect! I'll post more about it soon, but always feel free to chat with me about your ideas, feedback, and questions.

Erin Doherty
Digital Engagement Manager
Portland, OR

31.  RE: Introductions

Posted Oct 27, 2016 21:50

Hello!

I just finished reading through these intros. So impressive! 

So, my turn:

I am Clare Markley, and I currently work at the Preston Public Library as a Library Assistant.  I'm also the webmaster, and I do upkeep on our computers as well as most basic troubleshooting, and I provide advice regarding our IT inventory to the Director.  I am also a Retired USN HMC & a mom of 3, stepmom of 4.

I'm located in Southeastern, Connecticut

Recent win... is personal :)  I decided that rather than buy new pants, since I'd gained rather too much weight since I'd retired from the Navy, I would start walking.  I started back in May, and managed to lose about 35 lbs this summer.  Which worked out well, since I already *had* pants I could wear ...if only I could get my butt down to a size to fit in them. Happily they now fit! And, my arthritis feels much better, and I have more energy.

What can I provide...

I work at a small Public Library. Although many people come to use it, our Internet connection isn't very good. We're connected on DSL and when it rains it's even worse- they *CRAWL.* (It's been raining today.) Which I was thinking about tonight, which got me reading the Google Fiber site... which led me to a really interesting post... by Ruben Campillo that a basic computing course had been developed & taught in North Carolina-I *was* going to ask if anyone knew where the syllabus might be.

Then I thought I might go for a wander first... and I FOUND it... so, in case any of *you* might need to teach basic computers, or want to just read the Digital Inclusion Toolkit, it's got some quite interesting stuff in it if you've not seen it.

All of the resource materials are at the end.

So, that was going to be what I need, but now it's what I'm offering. :) Nice to meet you all.

Clare

C.Markley
Library Assistant & IT Support,
HMC, USN (RET)
Southeastern CT

32.  RE: Introductions

Posted Oct 28, 2016 00:59

Hi, my name is Ken Montenegro and this introduction thread is both inspiring and empowerinly informative.

I am the Technology Director at Advancing Justice Los Angeles. We're a legal services and civil rights organization located in downtown Los Angeles. As the senior technologist, I'm lucky enough to work on our technology strategy, work with units to enhance or refine our workflows, and support my wonderful IT manager who does the important day to day technology work in an organization of about 120+ users. I've been doing nonprofit technology since 1996.

I am also a member of the NTEN board (feel free to ask me about the cool & brilliant folks on the board with me!).

My recent win is that in September I was elected National Vice President of the National Lawyers Guild (yes, I'm trained as a lawyer)...piling to that win, my 18 year old son is set to wrap up a a 6 week volunteer stint of humanitarian work at No More Deaths in Arizona in early November.

I provide what some people call thoughtful analysis (code, I ask lots of questions) as well as experience in network design and security (I've done security trainings for activists, organizers, and lawyers in collaboration with the Electronic Frontier Foundation). I also like the practice of radical politics in our technology choices. 

Finally, I'm really happy to participate and encourage folks to join the NTEN Communities of Practice. In movement building work, and technology, we're so much stronger (and fun) when we work together!

k

Ken Montenegro

Information Technology Director
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles

1145 Wilshire Blvd  Los Angeles, CA 90017
T: (213) 977-7500 (213) 241-0219
C: (323) 545-4904
F: (213) 977-7595
advancingjustice-la.org
AJLA Logo
Building upon the legacy of the
Asian Pacific American Legal Center

33.  RE: Introductions

Posted Oct 28, 2016 06:07

Hello Ken! Thanks for sharing your impressive feats of late! It's great to meet you!

Xgaucw1Q0RhHh7oWhn1Q_hello giphy.gif

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Masters of Public Administration candidate, specializing in Nonprofit Administration
Marxe School of Public and International Affairs (until recently the Baruch School of Public Affairs)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/webmamma
Queens, NY

34.  RE: Introductions

Posted Oct 28, 2016 06:01

Welcome Clare, so nice to e-meet you!

I hope that you find even more of the resources here at NTEN helpful to you. Thanks so much for joining the community and giving us a chance to meet you!

uIuCncHITWeUU8ItzyUb_WELCOME doggy giphy.gif

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Masters of Public Administration candidate, specializing in Nonprofit Administration
Marxe School of Public and International Affairs (until recently the Baruch School of Public Affairs)
Queens, NY

35.  RE: Introductions

Posted Oct 28, 2016 12:00

I want to echo Ariel's welcome to Clare and Ken. (Ariel and I are co-moderators of this NTEN Discusss group.) Please reach out to me if I can be helpful in any way. (It sounds like I have a few things to learn from you both!)

--Keith

Keith Berner
Director, Information Technology
Freedom House
Washington DC
berner@freedomhouse.org

36.  RE: Introductions

Posted Nov 02, 2016 11:16

Hi all!

Kathy Flint, Evanston, IL (Chicago-ish)

Nice to meet you all. I've been an NTEN lurker for several months now. I'm a software engineer by training and a nonprofit executive by necessity. My professional life is built around providing technology (open source software, in particular) to the nonprofit and grassroots social justice community. Northbridge Technology Alliance is the nonprofit I founded in 2011 and currently lead in the capacity if CEO. 

Recent win: This is personal not professional, but... watching my 16-year old child walk away from a social situation in which they were uncomfortable, and taking the social heat from the decision.  Parents of teenagers out there? You know how huge that is!

What I can offer to this space is a cultivated skill at understanding both the possibilities and limitations of technology, especially as it relates to complex organizational and social challenges.

Chat later,

Kathy Flint
CEO
Northbridge Technology Alliance
Evanston, IL

37.  RE: Introductions

Posted Nov 04, 2016 12:57

A big NTEN Welcome to You!

Please make yourself at home.

Thanks for coming out of the shadows...you've come to the right place. I hope that you can share with us your wisdom gained from starting a tech-based nonprofit serving other nonprofits. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained from here as well -- not just from the community forum, but also the educational offerings. As a CEO you can't be an expert on everything but it helps to get some basic knowledge and round out your own.

As a parent to two teenagers, I can definitely fist-bump you on the win. My son is 18 and just registered as an EMT which means, among other things absolutely no drugs or alcohol in his system and certainly not while driving. I'm glad like you that he's making good choices and taking it as a badge on my breastplate like you!

Very nice to meet you, and I hope you find it a great place to network and learn.

YiiAXI0RqSnBk5FgU3Ds_welcome-1.jpg

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Queens, NY

38.  RE: Introductions

Posted 26 days ago
Hi All! I'm Amber, and I serve as senior program coordinator for the Center for Native American Youth at The Aspen Institute. I'll be attending my first NTEN conference next month, and am looking forward to meeting some of you there. Thanks! 

Amber Richardson
Senior Program Coordinator
Center for Native American Youth at The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC 20036

39.  RE: Introductions

Posted 24 days ago

Hello Amber, forgive me if these message appears twice. It seems that my post did not go through originally, and I fear it will pop back up again. Your organization seems very multifaceted. I wonder if you know that the Mellon foundation has grants for graduate work in Native American Studies? It does not affect youth, but I wonder if your organizations offers scholarships?

I will be at the conference. Please look for me, I would love to connect!

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
Queens, NY