Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Best Webinar Tool?

• 1.  Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 25 days ago

Hello everyone,

If you currently use a webinar tool for meetings, which one do you use, and what are the pros and cons of the tool?

We would like to be able to record the webinar to have it available to watch later, have interactivity like polls during the webinar, make it easy for people to join without downloading software, and not be too expensive?

Thank you for your advice and tips!

Roshani

------------------------------
    Roshani Kothari
    Technology & Digital Operations Director
    Plastic Pollution Coalition
    Washington, DC
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 24 days ago
    Roshani,

While I have not used it as a presenter yet, I have been a participant of many that are using Crowdcast.io. Found it to be a nice experience overall. Does not require a download to use, quality was good, and there are some smart features for posting questions that help to reveal them to presenters in a cool way. Sessions can be recorded and shared. I did experience some connection issues on occasion but a refresh of the browser cleared it up quickly.

Not connected to Crowdcast in any way. Just been getting to know as seemed like a good tool to recommend.

Best,
    Seth

---
    seth giammanco
    seth@mod-lab.com
    ph 718.858.1066

minds on design lab
    www.mod-lab.com

• 3.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 24 days ago
      |   view attached
    Roshani,

We use Zoom.us.  It is a multi-purpose tool, for online/remote on-camera meetings but you can also use it for webinars.  You get chat features, raise/lower hand features, mute/unmute anyone and it just works very well overall.  

We have also used Demio.com in the past.  The coolest feature in this system is its user-interface (nothing to download), and during the webinar you can send surveys to participants and other fun stuff.

Hope this helps.

-Kamal

• 4.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 24 days ago

Hello!
    We've been using a "pro" Zoom account for a little over a year. It has some great functionality for webinars or large meetings, like polling, chat, moderation, screen sharing, switching presenters, etc. You can use it either in a web browser or as an app (I prefer the app) and I've had really good experiences with sound and video quality, even over wifi. They have nonprofit pricing; it will depend on the number of licenses you purchase. One con I can think of is that if people call in (using an actual phone number rather than the browser or app), you get charged extra. For audiences like ours that tend older and aren't always comfortable using technology, we will often end up paying for people to join that way, which is definitely not ideal (it can add up... one month we had nearly $100 in fees). There are ways around it (don't share the number, pay a flat rate), but it's something to be aware of.
    Good luck in your search!

Carissa Dougherty
    Head of Knowledge Management
    Downers Grove, IL

• 5.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 24 days ago

Hi Roshani,
    If I had the implementation for my current gig to do over again I would have implemented Zoom for the webinar with EvPoll to permit polling in LiveStream presentations.

For interactive Webinars I would probably still have pushed for Zoom or for Webex.   EvPoll cannot possibly be easier to implement and permits speedy display within a presentation so that participants can see the results real-time.  It makes for lively panel discussions.

As my current gig is an Microsoft 365 tenant we are making use of MS Teams for interactive videoconferencing.  The client is needed for full-duplex communication and there are almost always user interface issues.  For example:  a week ago we lost the ability to enable system audio through Teams.  So if my faculty member is delivering a slide deck which has an .mp4 embedded the participants can see it,  but the audio of the video playing is not carried across   *** even though we can hear them on microphone,  and they can hear us ***  yes,  seriously.

Another MS Teams annoyance is the control bar placement over the slide view for the host.  That is rather minor in comparison to other issues.

I use Zoom in my participation with other non-profit associations and have found the ease of use and platform-agnostic webclient truly refreshing.  My only kvetch about Zoom is that on many devices where the participant has already muted their device - the host of the Zoom meeting may not be permitted to unmute them simply because the participants' hardware control overrides the session controls.   I witness the host verbalizing to a participant to please unmute and it works beautifully otherwise.

No matter what you get,  infrastructure will be a factor in ease of use.  Your participants all need decent hardware and a consistent network connection with at last 10MB through.

Hope this helps.  You will undoubtedly have a lot of responses to this question.   I am looking forward to reading the other replies here to learn about other options.  I am frustrated enough by Teams to approach the Board with a request for a Zoom license purchase.

Thanks very much.  Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Julia Sheehy
    Avila Institute of Gerontology, Inc.

• 6.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 21 days ago

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with different webinar tools.

I guess we will all be participating in and doing more webinars in light of the current situation.

Roshani Kothari
    Technology & Digital Operations Director
    Plastic Pollution Coalition
    Washington, DC

• 7.  RE: Best Webinar Tool?

Posted 20 days ago
    We've been using Webex for a little under two years now and I'm a fan of its capabilities. Each of our users has their own account for personal meetings, but it can also be configured to allow multiple users to share one license. Its recording capabilities are strong, and integration with Outlook is as well. We use it in consort with a registration tool to allow attendees to sign up for webinars and it works as our delivery vehicle. The lack of registration capabilities and the inability to take attendance are the only complaints I have. As a distribution tool it works incredibly well.

Jacob Gehl
    Technology Supervisor
    Chicago, IL