Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

• 1.  Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:52
    Hello--

Our health non-profit organization is looking into new tools for the following functions:
    • Direct marketing (email and donation campaigns)
    • Special events (galas, etc.)
    • Donor management integrated with The Raiser's Edge
    We began the search primarily for special events, however, as the search evolved we realized that there are tools that handle all of the items listed above and more - which got us thinking about an all-in-one solution. Currently, these are the products we are using:
    • The Raiser's Edge - donor management
    • Luminate Online/Convio - direct marketing, email, online donation forms
    • Classy - special events
    For various reasons our current mix of technology does not meet our requirements, particularly in the special events area. We would like a customizable solution with robust reporting, branding, and other controls. In our search, we have narrowed it down to the following products, and I was hoping to receive feedback from the community on what people may like or dislike about these solutions - or specific experience with them. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

• SalsaEngage
    • EveryAction
    • RegFox
    • Qgiv
    • Cvent
    • EventBrite

------------------------------
    Samantha Reeves
    National Jewish Health
    Denver, CO
    reevess@njhealth.org,303.728.6559

• 2.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted Sep 17, 2018 18:31
    Hi Samantha,

I'd throw Engaging Networks in the ring as well. We were close to signing with Salsa back in 2015 but Engaging Networks really impressed us.When we switched, we had come from a rather clunky donation platform we built in-house but needed for the customization and branding. EN has suited us well in those areas without the stress of upkeep and security risks. We use them for advocacy, email marketing, events, P2P, and as part of our donor database.

I'd be happy to chat here or offline if you have any questions.

-Joe

Joe Hallissey
    Associate Director - Digital Marketing
    Mercy Home for Boys & Girls
    Chicago, IL

• 3.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Joe-

We decided to start the process of vetting Engaging Networks given the feedback we have received on this discussion and elsewhere. I had a couple of follow up questions for you regarding the platform:

1. Do you integrate with another database of record? Like I previously mentioned, we are using Raiser's Edge and will not be moving away from that soon. I'd love to learn more about what your experience has been like if you've integrated EN with another system.

2. Are you utilizing the form, event, or email template features in the platform? It was mentioned to us that there are already some templates created for these items that can be customized further and that you can also create your own. I was wondering if this feature has increased your efficiency and brand consistency across the different EN pages that a supporter might interact with.

Lastly, what was your experience with the onboarding process with their team? Are they responsive to any requests you have made for feature updates/changes?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
    Samantha

Samantha Reeves
    National Jewish Health
    Denver, CO

• 4.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted Sep 18, 2018 10:31
    Hi Samantha,

There's one major requirement you've laid out that is going to constrict your choices and raise your costs substantially, which is RE integration. RE doesn't really have native integration capacities or open APIs to work with. Instead, you'll either have to pay BB for back-end data services, or use Omatic or Frakture to build automated imports and exports. This is why Luminate ends up being a popular option, even though it has many warts.

If you are committed to RE, Engaging Networks could be a good choice, as they've done work to bridge those systems. I don't believe, based on your presentation, that EventBrite of Qgiv will have a robust enough offering for you.

But what I'd really encourage you to do is view your situation holistically, and perhaps consider moving from RE. You don't have to decide to make the move, but widening the lens of your assessment to include the possibility could be illuminating.

I do a lot of work in this area, and I invite you to reach out if you'd like a no-obligation consultation.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted 12 days ago
    Hello Isaac-

Yes, we have had mixed responses when discussing various platforms and RE integration. It appears that there are some that have more of an "export/import" feel to get data out of another software into RE and there are others that may be more along the lines of a bi-directional integration. How would you describe Engaging Networks?

In our work to narrow down possibilities, we have decided to start with software vendors that offer more of a "one-stop shop" approach to online donation forms, email, events, and P2P. This of course makes the list of possible choices much shorter than what we originally started with, which was an events and ticketing tool.

In your experience, do you feel that a mix of different technologies focused on one or two of these areas is more effective rather than the "one-stop shop" type approach? Or, vice-versa? We have been going back and forth on this with our team and so it would be interesting to hear an outside perspective.

Thanks!
    Samantha

Samantha Reeves
    National Jewish Health
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted 10 days ago
    Samantha, the Engaging Networks integration is a bi-directional tool. You can read more about it here:
    https://www.engagingnetworks.net/us/blog/2015/04/01/integrating-engaging-networks-raisers-edge/

In terms of all-in-one vesus integrating best-in-breed (of best-in-fit) point solutions, there's no one answer. Why don't we schedule a (no obligations) call? I'd be happy to spend some time reflecting on these challenges and questions with you. You can book directly on my calendar here: http://www.calendly.com/sage70/30min

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 7.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted Sep 18, 2018 10:40
    Hi Samantha,

We use EveryAction for digital communications/fundraising and as one of the main people using its reporting features, I can say that on the whole I am happy with them. We used Salsa when I first started and the reporting in EveryAction is much better: More out-of-the-box reporting options, more robust tracking features, easier data export features, and so forth.

Hope this helps, and best of luck in your search!
    Beth

Beth Hallowell
    Communications Research Director
    American Friends Service Committee
    Philadelphia, PA

• 8.  RE: Direct marketing and event management software for health non-profit

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Beth,

Thanks for your response. I think that the reporting and email customization pieces are very important to our organization. I was wondering if you would be able to further describe your experience with EveryAction.

With regard to email, we create HTML/CSS templates that are used in a variety of ways. Do you feel that the EveryAction tool provides the ability to customize based on the brand standards of your organization?

In terms of reporting, are the scheduling tools useful? Our team would love to be able to set this up in order to cut down on the time we spend generating and piecing together reports with our current tools. Do customized form fields or questions make it into reports?

Lastly, if you had any comments on your experience onboarding with EveryAction, we would love to learn more.

Thanks!
    Samantha

Samantha Reeves
    National Jewish Health
    Denver, CO