Digital Advertising

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Welcome to the digital advertising group! Are you experienced in digital advertising, but need to expand your efforts? Are you frightened by the concept, but need to learn more? Are you struggling with the ever-changing landscape of digital advertising uses? Then please join this group to share challenges, solutions, and questions! Check back often, and follow this group to learn and to share!

Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

• 1.  Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 06, 2018 05:18
    So many rules, so many changes, and so much more information... sorry, please don't shoot the messenger.

On 23rd March the Ad Grants team announced that the program's average click-through-rate (CTR) had been 6.8% in March so far. If you're struggling to reach 5% and it seems impossible, that might put it in perspective.

You probably thought - because that's what you were told - that pausing keywords would satisfy the policy requirements. It turns out not to be entirely true. For example, take the rule that you must have two or more ad groups per campaign, and two or more ads per ad group. To avoid suspension, you need to either delete, not pause those ad groups or campaigns.

If you use an MCC to manage multiple ad groups you should have received a report by email outlining the main points of non-conformance on your account. Useful, but check out the discussions on the Advertisers forum about its accuracy and how to interpret some of its findings.

I was surprised to see in that report that several of my accounts apparently hadn't completed the Ad Grants survey, which is a requirement. This was doubly surprising because I know I'd completed it on their behalf. If you didn't complete the survey, you could be suspended, so just in case the link to the Google doc is here - Google Ad Grants Survey

On 16th April there will be a livestream on the Ad Grants YouTube channel, about conversion tracking. Conversion tracking is a requirement for new accounts, but not yet for existing accounts. However, it's a very good idea so that you can leverage Maximize Conversions bidding strategy and bid over $2 per clicks. See Google Ad Grants on YouTube. If you're still struggling to get your Ad Grant account above the 5% lower limit, watch the previous livestream.

You should already be aware that you can't point ads to anything other than your approved domain name. But did you know that you can ask permission to add further domains? Use this form - https://support.google.com/grants/contact/grants_v?hl=en if your nonprofit has a mini-site, project website or other property that you own and would like to promote. Note that the additional website must have a clear statement that it's owned by the nonprofit. (Some people, including myself, have experienced apparently accidental suspension of their accounts recently for doing this, but that issue is being investigated and should be fixed soon)

You may not point ads at your YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other social media urls. But you are allowed to create site extensions that point to these, provided you word them very clearly e.g. "Follow us on Twitter" or "Org name on Facebook".

You should put a clear declaration of your nonprofit status, including your registration number, on every page of your website if any of your ads could be construed to be asking for donations. It's just good practice anyway. Stick that in the footer.

The Advertisers forumGoogle Ad Grants - remains the best place to follow discussions about the new rules, and ask your own questions.

------------------------------
    Jason King
    Freelance WordPress development and Google Ad Grant management
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

Twitter: @jasoncsking

• 2.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 09, 2018 08:21

Jason, as usual, your analysis and advice are brilliant!

Thanks for posting this!

All the best,

Tricia

Tricia Maddrey Baker

Social Media and Communications Manager

AAMDSIF  (800) 747-2820 Extension 133

baker@aamds.org

#35yearsMarrowStrong

• 3.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 10, 2018 12:44
    Hi Jason,

Great info. Thanks for your contributions to G4NP communities. I've been following your content via Reddit, Webinar/slideshare, Google forum, King Jason, and here. With clients I've always moved away from promoting social networking sites with Google grants because of their policies. How does Google view the difference between a Sitelink extension with Social Media profiles (okay) vs Directly Linking Social Media profiles (not okay)? Also, since social media pages are hosted on a different domain. Is this a practice you have implemented across all your clients? Do you have an example you could share? Thanks Eddie

Eddie Laing
    Strategic Communications Advisor
    MicahTek
    http://www.micahtek.com/grant/
    Broken Arrow, OK

• 4.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 10, 2018 12:52
    Cheers Eddie.

I'll point you to the relevant policy - Sitelink extension requirements - Advertising Policies Help
     - see the section about Third Party URLs and note that this rule applies to all Adwords accounts, not just Ad Grants. Here's the wording:

While links should normally point to the same domain as the ad URL, we do allow links to point to third-party sites, under limited circumstances. Some examples include links to a Google+ page, Facebook page, Twitter account, YouTube video, or LinkedIn profile. In such cases, the link text must be descriptive of what someone would find at the link destination. For example, "Watch our YouTube video" should lead to your video on YouTube.

It has been confirmed recently on the official forum by Michelle the head of Ad Grants (who by the way is going to be presenting at 18NTC this week) that non-profits are absolutely safe to do this.

Jason King
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

• 5.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 11, 2018 09:57
    That's great news! Enjoy the conference Jason!

Eddie Laing
    MicahTek
    Broken Arrow, OK

• 6.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:08
    Edited by Eddie Laing Apr 16, 2018 12:20
    Hi Jason,

I followed your direction and created the sitelink but it's limited and gets virtually no exposure. What do I need to modify to fix this? Thanks! -Eddie
    Facebook Sitelink
    facebooksiteextension.png

@Jason King
    Eddie Laing
    MicahTek
    Broken Arrow, OK

• 7.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 16, 2018 18:56
    Hi @Eddie Laing

Interesting. I checked my accounts, and this appears to be the norm. Oddly the "limited" message appears beside links to Facebook but not Twitter.​

I'm used to seeing limited approval warnings on both ads and ad extensions for reasons such as mentioning pregnancy, alcohol, drugs or family abuse. But this is new.

My guess is that because the word "Facebook" is a trademark, it can't be used in some countries, but can in others. I once had something similar when using the word "Google".

But how many clicks do they get? I see a small number, 4 or 5 a day - but it all helps, and all adds up.

Jason King
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk

• 8.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 18, 2018 18:11
    Hi Jason,

I appreciate you looking into it. I'll test a new sitelink and see if I can get a better (non-limited) result. Ex. "Visit our social page"/"Visit our social media page" or "Lets connect on social media" and I'll report back to see if I have any luck. Thanks again!

Eddie Laing
    MicahTek
    Broken Arrow, OK

• 9.  RE: Google Ad Grant policies - a few updates

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:28
    Hi Eddie,

You were doing it correctly in the first place.

Rules are here - Sitelink extension requirements - Advertising Policies Help - you have to say where the link leads, so saying "social media" would be too vague.

But I don't see why you couldn't word it "Read our Tweets" or "Tweets by ____". That would be transparent but maybe not alert the trademark filter.

Jason King
    Mirepoix, France

www.kingjason.co.uk