WordPress

last person joined: yesterday 

A place for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels.The WordPress group is an engaged network of WordPress developers and content managers, for all skill levels, by WordPress users for WordPress users, to encourage the usage of and advocate for WordPress.

Our goal: to support nonprofit organizations using (or interested in using) WordPress. Additionally, this is a safe and friendly place for beginning WordPress developers and users to ask questions and connect to like-minded people.

Wordpress Hosting

• 1.  Wordpress Hosting

Posted Sep 04, 2019 09:21
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking to switch my nonprofits web hosting company and am deciding between WPEngine and Kinsta. Does anyone have any experience with Kinsta? There isn't much information out there on them compared to WPEngine. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer!

------------------------------
    Kiana Walker

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Sep 05, 2019 10:44
    Kiana,

They are both solid. Your site is pretty quick, so with either one you probably won't see a big uptick in speed / performance.

WP Engine is nice because it's very simple.

Kinsta is nice too, however, I'd probably choose Kinsta over WP Engine if I needed add-ons or custom functionality right out of the box.

If you're working with a partner / agency for support, since both are priced pretty evenly and offer similar features, i'd probably ask the partner / agency, which platform they prefer.

Good luck!

Best,

Zach Wilson
    Gulo - A Digital Agency
    gulo.co

@gulorocks
    p. 773.276.8066
    c. 917.605.5665

• 3.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Sep 05, 2019 13:58
    Zachary,

Do you know anything about the migrations Kinsta offers? We don't work with a partner/agency and I want to make sure the data migration goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks so much!

Kiana

Kiana Walker
    Web Manager
    Food and Drug Law Institute
    Washington DC, DC

• 4.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Sep 05, 2019 17:13
    Kiana,

Zachary's advice is spot on.

As for Kinta's migrations, I've had them run a few for us and they've all been handled well.

Be awesome!

Eric Dye
    Client Success Lead
    Valet.io

• 5.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 19:56
    @Kiana Walker I wrote an article that's about the top four web hosting providers for your nonprofit's WordPress website. It may be worth checking out if you're still making the decision.

I recently moved our hosting to Kinsta because of how they're different and use Google Cloud. It's $30/mo for their basic plan.

You get both a big boost in speed and security because your nonprofit's website isn't shared with other websites and is in its own container.

With most hosts, you're sharing your site with hundreds or even of thousands of other websites. If one of them gets hacked, your site can also be infected because of the shared environment.

As for migrations, it's only free if you're using one of these specific hosts below. Otherwise, you'll need a developer to help you.

Kinsta free migrations from theses hosts:

• WP Engine
    • Flywheel
    • SiteGround
    • Pagely
    • Pantheon
    • Cloudways
    • DreamHost
    • Bluehost
    • HostGator
    • A2 Hosting
    • tsoHost

Today, Kinsta also announced on their blog about even more speed improvements for existing customers. Super excited about that!

Chuck Spidell
    The Nonprofit WordPress Security Expert

• 6.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Oct 20, 2019 08:05
    @Chuck Spidell Thanks for your post above. I am also shopping for a new host and had already read the NPTech article you wrote!

I do have a question, though, if you or others don't mind.  It sounds like Kinsta and WPEngine are both shared servers.  In my last org, I moved off shared hosting to a dedicated server for the very same reason that you reference regarding other sites on the server getting hacked and affecting yours.  ​

I'm helping a similarly sized org with a new WordPress website and told them it's time to move off a shared hosting environment and instead consider a VPS or dedicated server. Their website now has had downtimes for hours with current host.

There are some affordable options out there now for VPS in particular, but I'm not sure about one host vs. the other. The VPS options offer managed servers and CPanels, so it wouldn't be too hard of a transition for the in-house staff.

Do you  or any one else here have thoughts about when it's time to move off a shared hosting environment to a VPS or dedicated server? And do you have any recommendations for hosts that offer a VPS option?

Lynda Mitchell, MA, CAE
    Founder/CEO
    Centrarse Digital
    Doylestown, PA

• 7.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Oct 21, 2019 05:52
    Hi Lynda,

This isn't exactly what you're asking; more of an overall consideration.  One pretty big factor when considering a VPS or dedicated server is whether the org (and/or any vendors involved) have the time to properly manage it and respond to any issues.  With a shared server, if there's a problem you know there are going to be many other customers pushing for a resolution.  Issues might even be resolved before you even notice.  With a VPS or dedicated, if it's an issue that affects only your server and it didn't trip the company's monitor, you've got to call the company or file a support ticket, and often you'll need to stay on top of them until it's resolved, which can be time consuming.  This kind of exchange is not uncommon in support tickets:

• 9:55: Customer: Our website's really really really slow.  Can you check it out?
    • 9:58: Host: Will do!
    • 10:02: Host: Looks like you need a reboot.  Should we do that now?

Problem is, if you were in a meeting from 10 to 11, they won't do anything until you return at 11 and say "Yes."

So even though it doesn't take any specific technical skills to "manage" a managed server, it definitely can take time, and timeliness, to "manage" a managed hosting provider.

Nate

Nathan Gasser
    President & Executive Chef
    Report Kitchen
    :::
    A more delicious way to publish your
    project, policy, and research reports.
    :::
    http://reportkitchen.com

• 8.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Oct 21, 2019 12:15
    Both companies have dedicated servers/VPS, I believe they are called "enterprise level" plans so the pricing might not be listed on their sales pages. I've used WP Engine's dedicated plan and recommend them.

A website having hours of downtime seems excessive, so if they can manage having that much downtime, this may not be a mission-critical/highly trafficked site? I'd use a managed Wordpress host, which should have some uptime guarantee, daily backups, many other benefits. Then if they have enough traffic, then they can jump to a dedicated server. Like Nathan says above, you still have to manage your managed host, so a consideration is if someone on-staff can do so. Also, if someone is currently paying for a dirt cheap hosting plan, they might not be able to afford paying a lot more for their own server.

Mae Fang
    Web Developer
    New York, NY

• 9.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted Oct 21, 2019 12:23

Mae and Nathan,

Thanks for your responses. I am working on resolving some index/crawlability issues right now as first priority. This site should be able to get about 250K uniques per month but right now, it's nowhere near that due to the index/crawlability issues and other major things I've identified and am working on.

I do not think they need a dedicated server. But I also know that a VPS would provide for more stability and security, that is why I am asking about it.

So with a 250K unique target per month, do you think that a solid shared service would be OK?

Thank you!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 10.  RE: Wordpress Hosting

Posted 30 days ago
    Lynda,

I would strongly recommend DreamHost for either a VPS or their DreamPress WordPress hosting. I've been with them since 2014, and they are great.

Regards,
    Dale

Dale Bengston
    Owner
    Rockville, MD